Jambo house fourth floor flooded

heidibilotti

Mouseketeer
Fourth floor of jambo house has flooded due to a sprinkler head being knocked down by a guest showering. They couldn't get it shut off for forty minutes. Water leaked down closing the Mara due to the flooding. Moving guests to other rooms as there is two inches of water on four it has been an adventure but being disney they are handling everything with plenty of pixie dust.

Oh, my goodness! What a fiasco! I would hate to be the person that knocked off the sprinkler. I would feel terrible!

2 questions- 1. They have sprinkler heads inside the tub showers?
2. How tall was that guy anyway???

:rotfl:

Sorry - not that is funny at all to those staying there. :worried:
But seriously - how the hell does a guy taking a shower set off the sprinkler? When we stayed there in May I never noticed a sprinkler in the bathroom? I am just a bit over 5 feet so maybe I wasn't looking?

Not to make light of the situation, but that's kind of the first thing I was thinking too! :confused3

Ugh, how awful to come back from a long day at the park and find your room flooded. :eek:

Jambo river rapids too funny. They got us a nice room on third floor moved everything and even got us dinner. Looking at it as an adventure. The worst part is the Mara is closed so no quick serve area for folks that's rough but the are really doing everything for us.

I stayed at a Courtyard in Washington DC last weekend. I noticed the sprinkler head had a label asking guests to avoid hanging things from the sprinkler head. It went on to say that doing so could activate the sprinkler.

My guess is that the guest hung something from the head, the head fell off, and the water started to flow.

Usually when a sprinkler head is activated because someone hung something off it or struck it, it is because the frangible bulb or fusible link was broken not because the head itself broke off. These are designed to melt or burst at a specific temperature and release the plug allowing the water to flow and extinguish a fire. Although it sounds easy to do, this rarely happens.

It taking four hours to shut off sounds unlikely. Maintenance or the Fire Department should have been able to shut it off reasonably quickly. Although a fair amount of damage can result in a short time.

I wonder how much damage was done, and how/if it will affect people with upcoming trips. This makes me nervous even though I'm not getting there until Aug. 2nd.

I hope people didn't have their clothes and purchases ruined. How terrible!

Usually when a sprinkler head is activated because someone hung something off it or struck it, it is because the frangible bulb or fusible link was broken not because the head itself broke off. These are designed to melt or burst at a specific temperature and release the plug allowing the water to flow and extinguish a fire. Although it sounds easy to do, this rarely happens.

It taking four hours to shut off sounds unlikely. Maintenance or the Fire Department should have been able to shut it off reasonably quickly. Although a fair amount of damage can result in a short time.

The OP said it was 40 minutes, not 4 hours.

I wonder how much damage was done, and how/if it will affect people with upcoming trips. This makes me nervous even though I'm not getting there until Aug. 2nd.

I hope people didn't have their clothes and purchases ruined. How terrible!

A Dis friend is there now and he told me that there is a clean up crew on site. It was about 6 families (rooms) that had to be moved. The Mara is being fixed now. New tile was going up at around 3:00 this morning. Said it should reopen shortly. - not sure if that means today or not. We check in on July 29th. I don't anticipate it being a problem still by the way he described it.

Usually when a sprinkler head is activated because someone hung something off it or struck it, it is because the frangible bulb or fusible link was broken not because the head itself broke off.

This is why lots of hotels have signs on the sprinklers to discourage people from hanging clothing/hangers off the sprinkler. I've seen this happen all too often. I can't remember if disney hotels have these signs. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.

A Dis friend is there now and he told me that there is a clean up crew on site. It was about 6 families (rooms) that had to be moved. The Mara is being fixed now. New tile was going up at around 3:00 this morning. Said it should reopen shortly. - not sure if that means today or not. We check in on July 29th. I don't anticipate it being a problem still by the way he described it.

I am constantly amazed at how fast Disney works on these kinds of things (the Mine Train is another story....:rotfl2:).

I need DIsney to train my husband on the art of getting stuff done fast (kitchen has been in a state of remodel for 11 months now..).

What a mess for the few rooms involved.

The OP said it was 40 minutes, not 4 hours.

Oops, My bad.

That makes alot more sense. It was probably more like 10 minutes to get the sprinkler shut off and then another 30 minutes waiting for the upper floors to drain below the point of the leak. Although a newer building such as this likely has shutoffs on every floor or even section of floor.

Sprinkler heads can be wedged to block the flow and limit the damage while you wait for the system to drain. You get soaked doing this and as such is a job usually relegated to the junior firefighter who is immediately available. An often heard quote: "time to get wet probie!"

Thanks for this info. It makes me feel so much better. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter