Jackie & Ryan's 11.12.11 Wishes Wedding PJ

Jax32

Workin' on our Fairytale
Here it is. The beginning of my planning journal. It’s crazy for me to think we are less than a year away from becoming Mr. & Mrs. Gasaway :) I really enjoy reading other PJs and TRs and hope all of you enjoy reading about our DFTW journey.

Our Story:
Ryan and I started dating our sophomore year of high school. He asked me out on a torn piece of loose leaf in our Current Affairs class in February of 2001.... I told him I’d have to think about it. haha! After a few days, he asked me on the phone if I had thought about it enough and I finally told him “yes!” Below is our first picture taken together from the summer of that year.

5249947290_0be9f6a21a.jpg

I feel very blessed that we have had so many years together already. We really enjoy being able to look back at all of the photos from school dances, family trips & just hanging out. Browsing through our high school year book the other day, we stopped on the “Voted Most Likely To....” spreads and COMPLETELY forgot WE had been voted “most likely to get married.” There we stood. A black and white photo of our high school selves. Me, wearing my First Communion headpiece & Ryan, placing a ring pop on my finger. I remember getting a little upset cause my dad wasn’t as excited as I was when I told him we had won that. :D lol.

Fast forward to college. We didn’t choose where we went to college just to be together, but, wouldn’t ya know it, we were both looking for the same thing. Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky became our home for the next 4.5 years. We did the normal college things & kept ourselves busy. I joined a sorority (Sigma Sigma Sigma), he joined a fraternity (Sigma Chi), I became Treasurer & eventually President of a campus dance company, Ryan took on many responsibilities with Sigma Chi and eventually became President. It was great for us to be able to grow as individuals but still be together.

February 1, 2006 marked the beginning of a 7 month test for Ryan & I. This was my start date for the WDW College Program. While it was one of the BEST times of my life, it was hard to be so far away from him. I think we made it through with flying colors, though! Ryan has always known Disney holds a big piece of my heart and we would have never made it through those 7 months without his support for my dreams.

5249943842_b34eda2f4e.jpg

Our Long-Awaited Engagement:
Ok, we’re really going to fast forward now to New Years Eve – December 31, 2009. Ryan & I like to take 3-day weekends every once and a while, just to get away. Well, kind of last minute, we decided to hit up Kansas City, MO for the New Years. Neither of us had been there so we thought it would be fun to take a weekend to explore the city. We found the BEST B&B just north of the city for us to stay at. Check it out!

5249946888_aa71fa1b85.jpg

The owner shows us to our room and look at my wonderful surprise...

5249342631_f3cfa34d21.jpg

We saved the sweets for later and got ready for our dinner reservations. We went to the Bonefish Grill. We had never eaten there (we don’t have one in St. Louis) and it was pretty dang good. The Bang Bang Shrimp –*AMAZING!

5249346079_ebba09a44a.jpg

Alright, so since we had been together for so long, you know I had like a million versions of how I thought his proposal could go, right? Well, this scenario never entered my mind ... and it was perfect. We arrived back at the B&B and it was FREEZING! Like 2 degrees cold! And I’m in a little dress, leggings & heels. So, after Ryan parks the car, I make a bee-line for the front of the house. The entire time I’m “running” up the icy walk, Ryan is stammering behind me, “Don’t fall. Please be careful. Please don’t fall.” All I kept saying was, “I’m fine. I’m not gunna fall.” and thinking, “why is he being so overly concerned?” We get in the door and up to our room. I kick my so-uncomfortable heels off and turn around. He motions for me to come over to him. He hugs me and I can tell he’s shaking. But I just think it’s cause it’s so freaking cold outside. :D haha! As he’s sharing a lot of heart-felt & emotional things with me, he put his hand in his pocket, pulled out the ring & asked me to marry him. Ok, so here’s the funny part. I have no memory of me looking at the ring at all in that moment. All I could do is collapse on top of him as he’s kneeling on the ground & ball my eyes out! After almost 9 years of ups & downs, planning & waiting, I was in total shock that it was finally here. He was finally asking me to be his.

Once I was able to take a breath and pull away from our bear hug, he said, “Well, do you wanna see the ring?” He took it out of the box and placed it on my finger. We called our parents and siblings and after about a millions times of me looking at him and saying, “We’re Engaged..”, it was time for bed. And I have to admit that I slept with the ring in the box for the first couple of nights. I was afraid that I was going to take it off in the middle of the night, like I used to do with my retainer because I wasn’t used to it, and it would get lost in the bed. haha! Silly, I know. :)

5249343855_84415ab6da.jpg

5249347743_fd98791038.jpg

Side note about my ring being on a rock... I realized I didn’t have a photo of it close-up on my finger, which I probably need to do, and I found this one I had taken at my cousin’s wedding earlier this year. Kind of random. ;)

:: Next to come :: The Planning Begins

Horray and congratulations!!!

That was such a cute story! I love the yearbook part. :goodvibes
You and your DF are so cute together and your ring is gorgeous!!!

I'm getting married the day before you! It's gonna be a good weekend :lovestruc

Can't wait to read more!!!

Subscribing! Looking forward to reading along! Congrats on being high school sweethearts and growing together through college!

Decisions, Decisions:
I first discovered the DFTW website back in 2002 and have been hooked ever since. But even though I knew about it and saw what the minimum expenditures were, I had NO IDEA what an “average” wedding cost. I was in high school, earning a little over minimum wage and just chalked a DFTW up as “probably too expensive because it’s Disney.”

After our engagement, I did soooo much research to find a venue here in town that fit what we were looking for. Nothing felt right. So many beautiful places and, I know, it’s more about the people you are sharing your day with than the location but...we wanted the venue to say something about who we are. I came up with 1 place (that kind of felt like what we wanted) for us to check out together. For weeks, we couldn’t get ahold of the person who we were supposed to meet with to tour the venue. It was on a burnt out and frustrated evening that we decided to crunch some numbers and see if a DFTW wasn’t too far out of our reach. Funny how things work out, huh?

:: Next to come :: Is This REALLY Happening?

Thanks for such a warm welcome everyone! I'll get things up-to-date soon. Probably just a couple more posts and I'll be caught up.

Welcome!!! & Congrats!!!! :goodvibes

Love your story and engagement!! So sweet!!!!! You sound like me and my DF, with a long dating history and some distance apart!!

I am getting married in SC in my own Disney wedding a day before you, and then we will be in the world for our honeymoon on your wedding day! :love:

Can't wait to hear your plans!!!

Subbing ... can't wait to read the rest!!

I can barely remember the ring during my proposal, either. I blacked out, I was in such shock!! We have been dating for 5.5 years so I figured he was never going to ask.

Hi there, u really do tell a good story, I have really enjoyed reading your pj. I think u sound made for each other! Similar to me n my DF we went to primary school together!!! How cute!!!

You haven't got long now... How are the plans coming along?

Look forward to hearing more from your pj!!!

Xxx

Ok, so I owe all of you following my PJ an apology. I haven't posted in SOOO long. I never really got caught up on life after the holidays so I am very sorry! I have so much to share with all of you! *sigh* I'll get caught up though so just bear with me. :upsidedow

Is This REALLY Happening?
I'm sure a lot, if not most, of you Disney brides have gone through the 'ripping off the band-aid' when you tell your parents that you want to have your wedding at Disney. *Deep breath...1,2,3, RIP* I could see my Mom immediately panicking for I know this was not what she had in mind for me. I could see my dad staring off into space as dollar signs fill his head :scared1: ....I quickly realized that this battle was not going to be quick and painless.

The next few months consisted of many, many phone calls & emails. How much does this venue cost, how many people can we invite, what are our food options... It's a long and slow process to obtain all of the information you need to pull together an estimate. The biggest hurdle that we had to get over with 'selling' the Disney Wedding idea, was money. It's always about the Benjamins. So after what seemed like forever, Ryan and I finally felt like we had enough information to take to our parents. I'm going to fast forward a few weeks because it's more of the same stuff... questions, phone calls, emails. The point is, our parents finally agreed to support our decision. :woohoo:

After being with someone for 10 years and knowing that you will eventually get married, it's hard to get yourself to truly believe that it is really happening now. For years I said to myself, 'We'll probably get married next year.' And now that it's this year, it's still kind of hard to get it to sink in. But it's starting to :)

The Time-consuming DIY Projects Begin
Most of my bridesmaids already knew that they were going to be a bridesmaid so I hadn't put much thought into how I was going to ask them. I do have one cousin who lives in CO and I didn't want to just ask her on the phone. (For those of you who may have asked over the phone, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I'm a DIY girl and was really aching for my first wedding project.) So, as you will see below, my solo DIY project turned into 6 DIY projects. I purchased a $5 flimsy photobook for each bridesmaid and filled each with photos of us. I made a scrapbook-style cover and last page. Mailed them to the girls out-of-town and gave my sisters' to them in person.

Ellen & Maddie, my 2 little sisters, are my Maids of Honor. We have decided to rotate the #1 position for each of our weddings. So while both of them are Maids of Honor, Ellen will have the #1 spot, meaning she will stand beside me, sign whatever legal stuff needs to be signed, etc. Maddie will be in the #1 spot for Ellen's wedding and so on... So, without further ado, here is how I asked those closest to me to be my bridesmaids.

My little sister, Ellen:

My little sister, Maddie:

My cousin, Mary:

My cousin, Kim: (Our Pepaw used to call us his Salt & Pepper, for obvious reasons)

One of my best friends from college, Kate: (The 'persons' thing is a Grey's Anatomy inside joke... Anyone know what I'm talking about?)

And last but not least, my sister-in-law-to-be, Jessica:

Here's the last page of Mary's photobook:

At this point, I kind of already knew what venue we were going for and what themes I wanted to incorporate into the wedding & colors so I tried to use a style that would go with everything that would be used in the wedding later. *You'll see* ;)

:: Next to come :: Signing The Dotted Line
(And I promise it won't take as long this time)

I agree!! What a cute way to ask your bridesmaids!! :) Not to mention a great keepsake, and to unleash your wedding DIY !! :thumbsup2

Choosing Our Venues & Signing the Dotted Line :: Part 1

Alright, so I guess I better let you guys in on where all of our events are going to be held. Our reception site was kind of a hands-down decision. We originally wanted an outdoor wedding back here in the midwest but I felt it was too risky. And all of the outdoor places we liked didn't offer proper back-up indoor venues incase of rain. Because of this, we decided that holding anything outdoors here in STL, was completely out of the picture! So, when we started looking at all of the Disney World venues, we were naturally pulled to anything outdoors, since that’s what we had originally wanted.

Before I continue, I want all of you to have a clearer picture of Ryan & I. Neither of us are extremists of our own gender. I am NOT uber-princess-y. I am feminine & love pink but instead of spending my money on clothes, shoes, jewelry & purses, I like to buy kitchen gadgets, games, electronics & travel. I grew up playing sports year-round. I can't stand Jersey Shore or The Bachelor/ette (no offense to anyone who does). Ryan is the same way with guy stuff... He'd rather drive a sports car than a big truck. He loves to play golf & tennis. (He's been giving me tennis lessons the past couple of weeks) We both LOVE to go see our Cardinals & Blues play! Any chance we get to play outside, we jump on it! We love going to the movies & hanging out with our family & friends. We try to play more board games and games on the Wii rather than watch TV. But when we do watch TV, it's on the Travel Channel, Food Network, History Channel, The Office or Family Guy. We have Inspirational Sundays where we watch shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Undercover Boss & Secret Millionaire. It gets us pumped up to have a good work week and we get focused on the things in our lives that are really important. And, of course, we love Disney :) I'm telling you all of this because as you read my PJ, you'll have a better understanding of why we choose the things we do and what we would like.

Anyways, on with what decisions we have made... ;) I LOVE themes! I like everything to coordinate, not really match, but go together. Now, I didn’t want anything overwhelming, mainly because DF and I are pretty eclectic and I had a little bit of a hard time pinning down something that we are equally passionate about. You know what I mean? It’s not like when people hear our names they think, “OMG they LOVE Scrabble!” Actually I think people would say, “Jackie & Ryan, they’ve been together forever. Aren’t they married yet?” haha! :) I was so excited to finally figure out what our subtle theme could be! We both love to travel! That was it! We haven’t done much outside of the States yet (I haven’t done anything outside the States), but we have done quite bit in the US. We try to take little weekend vacations as much as possible and we hope to be able to do ALOT of international traveling in the future. And it seemed appropriate since every one (except one) of our guests would have to travel to get there. DUH! Love it! Winner! lol Sorry, I had to make a little nod to Charlie Sheen’s craziness.

I also don’t really have a “signature” color. I like pink. I guess it’s like my default color. But DF doesn’t really dig it for him which is totally cool cause like I said before, I’m not uber-girly. I want something that will be timeless, but trendy at the same time. For a long time I was sure my BMs were going to be in classic black dresses to achieve this, but now I’ve settled on dark grey. Oooo, I know, big change! More on those later. ;) I also have an array of skin tones in the wedding party and I didn’t want something that was going to wash anyone out. And so, the chosen primary color is…..

A Fiery Orange/Red!!

:: Next to come :: Choosing Our Venues & Signing the Dotted Line :: Part 2

Just found your PJ! :goodvibes
Loving everything so far!! How you guys hooked up and your proposal story are really cute, my DF and I are hs sweethearts too and when I was reading that he asked you out on a sheet of torn paper I was laughing so hard... what is it with guys at that age? My DF would tell me that my feet smelled because I was always in sandals... I guess that was the only thing he could come up with to start a conversation. :confused3 BUT it worked I guess! oh & your scrapbooks for the BM are gorgeous!! Very creative. I definately cannot wait to see what else you come up with!

I also really like that you chose dark grey, I think that is a beautiful and very sophisticated color... and the orange will really pop with it!

I will stop rambling already, just love everything so far!! :lovestruc

Thanks everyone! All of your comments were so nice. Congratulations on your engagement this year, Elle and have fun planning. I'll have to take a look at your PJ, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter