Jacket for Alaska in Extended Sizes

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
We aren't sailing until next May, but I am already searching for a suitable rain jacket for the cruise, and I will definitely be needing a pooh-sized jacket to allow for a couple of layers underneath, probably at least a long-sleeve and a fleece. I am wondering what those that have sailed already might have found that you might recommend.

I did find one at the Columbia outlet today, but it doesn't have any vents or zippers under the arms for when it warms up.

Hope somebody has some suggestions. :goodvibes

I used my trusty leather jacket DH found on sale years and years ago. (I don't get much wear out of a jacket here in the desert, but it's nice to have the warmth when I need it.)

The important thing is to have a jacket that is both waterproof and windproof. Other than that, the layers underneath will handle the rest of the job.

Leather shoes do a better job of keeping the rain out than canvas shoes. I saw a lot of winter boots on our Alaskan cruise earlier this month, but I couldn't help thinking of how heavy and bulky they must've been in limited-airline-luggage space, and they really weren't necessary. A wooly hat and gloves don't take up much room in your luggage, and act as insurance -- as long as you have the hat and gloves you probably won't need them.

Skagway was so cold three weeks ago I could've used long underwear, and did see some people wearing it layered under their short-sleeved shirts. :confused3 The only people I saw wearing shorts were those who had been using the ship's exercise equipment. This past week, I'll bet cruisers were wishing they had packed lotsa shorts and left their winter woolies at home.

I am also pooh sized. I bought just a nylon shell at Walmart that I threw over a fleece and a long sleeve tee. I took off the fleece as it warmed up. We went in Aug. and had a mix of weather. Alaska was my most favorite vacation.

I am also pooh sized. I bought just a nylon shell at Walmart that I threw over a fleece and a long sleeve tee. I took off the fleece as it warmed up. We went in Aug. and had a mix of weather. Alaska was my most favorite vacation.

Were you warm enough with your shell on days like the Tracy Arm? I have read that a heavy jacket is not necessary, but I am just not sure how much lighter to go.

If they still make "3 in 1" type coats, that's what we used for Alaska. Shell and a zip in puffy liner. The only time I was actually cold was when we approached the glacier (we were on RCCL and it was not Tracey Arm, so I don't know specifics about that) and mistakenly went out to the bow (not possible on the Disney ships I believe) to watch us get closer to the glacier. It took WAY longer than DH and I expected, and we were very very cold.

Of course, if we'd had gloves, hats, and/or scarves it would have been helpful. :)

On Tracy Arm day I wore long sleeve tee, fleece jacket, and nylon shell. The CMs bring around hot chocolate and there are blankets available. We found a table on deck 9 where there is plexiglass to shield the wind a bit. I was fine in what I wore when I went up to deck 10. It was 55 degrees that day and windy.

I'm going to Alaska in September on Holland America and bought a Columbia rain jacket. I suppose I didn't think about the vent situation...

I just bought a packable rain jacket from campmor.com. The jacket (a nylon shell) was about $35, has long pit zips, fleece chin pad to protect from zipper when using hood, and it packs in a pouch. Matching pants are also available.

They have larger sizes but you may need to wait for them to restock. The fit is generous especially in the chest area.

I haven't tried it out yet as my trip isn't until late July, but so far i'm very pleased with it.

I'm going to Alaska in September on Holland America and bought a Columbia rain jacket. I suppose I didn't think about the vent situation...

Well, it may not matter to most, but I tend to get cold and then warm very quickly when I have on layers. I also would find it easier to unzip a zipper under the arms than to take off the jacket and carry it around, but you may be just fine with what you bought.

I have this jacket (disclaimer: mine in non-plus size, so you'll have to see how it fits) and a few fleece from Lands End as well, it was what I planned to bring to Alaska before our plans changed. My partner who has cruised an inside passage itinerary before assured me that along with some gloves I'd be ok with this setup. We live in Florida so an all-in-one jacket didn't make sense. I've used the rain jacket often on its own.

Good luck deciding!

We got great waterproof (you need waterproof for Alaska, not just water resistant) lightweight jackets from North Face. They were great. The had a vent and we wore long sleeve tees and fleeces underneath. Layering is the key! Enjoy your cruise!

Of course, if we'd had gloves, hats, and/or scarves it would have been helpful. :)

Yes! Definitely being hats and gloves. You will need them for Tracy Arm. If you have a verandah, use your blankets too. We also needed them for Juneau when we took a helicopter ride to a glacier....it was about 30 degrees up there in August.

I used my Columbia jacket with fleece insert two years ago when we went to Alaska. It sure saved me from freezing on deck for Tracy Arm viewing. We spent about 5 hours on deck and it was cold. I didn't need it any other time on the cruise as it was in the 70's and low 80's (mid July).

Lands' End Men's Regular Packable Windbreaker
Item # 426365-AL0 $59.00 NOW $39.99

(Sorry, can't post link because I'm still a newbie)

This is the current version of the jacket I have and I love it. Waterproof, packs small, and has a great hood. (I am female but will get men's sizes because women's plus sizes often have a surcharge.)

I found one last year in March or so from Woman Within, except mine didn't have the puffy liner. I wore it all three ways during my Alaska cruise last year. The big thing is being able to layer. We were amazed at the differences in temperatures over the course of the week.

If they still make "3 in 1" type coats, that's what we used for Alaska. Shell and a zip in puffy liner. The only time I was actually cold was when we approached the glacier (we were on RCCL and it was not Tracey Arm, so I don't know specifics about that) and mistakenly went out to the bow (not possible on the Disney ships I believe) to watch us get closer to the glacier. It took WAY longer than DH and I expected, and we were very very cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter