I've been back a week....so how about Christmas 2013?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by sweethannah, Oct 9, 2012.

1. sweethannah

sweethannah Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

I am having some crazy Disney withdrawal :crazy2:

I feel kinda like a bride does after her wedding when all the planning and excitement is over :p but thankfully I can go to Disneyland A LOT more than I can get married! So here is to timidly pre-planning my next Adventure :)

How does late November ( post Thanksgiving ) and early December average in terms of crowds, compared to Summer crowds?

I've never been during peak times and I might finally heed the advice to go when the hours are longest. Less refurbs and longer hours sounds like a decent trade off for crowds if they are still manageable.

We were at DL recently when the weather soared to 105 and it was too hot for us. We really needed that mid day break. It was so nice to fit one in on the weekend when you had so much time left in the evening compared to trying to fit a break in when the Park was only open to 8pm.
    We are definitely night people and would quite happily sleep in during the day and hit the Park from the mid afternoon on. Much more relaxing for us . :smokin:

In regards to dates, I would :love: to see Disneyland at Christmas but I just like everyone I'm worried about crowds.

Some options:

1- Sandwiched in between the start of the Christmas season and Thanksgiving.
    2- The week or so after Thanksgiving going into the start of December.
    3- Throw caution to the wind and go in the middle of Christmas and completely overdose on all things Gingerbread.

And are any of these dates better/worse than DL during the middle of August?

Thanking you in advance for your help and not judging :p

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kolohe_lady

kolohe_lady Princess, nuthin'! I wanna be Queen!

I get Disney withdrawls every time. :) In fact, before I leave the park I have to have some sort of plan to return in mind, even if it doesn't happen or is a loooong way off. If I don't it's just sooo depressing walking out the gates that last time . . .

I think you'd have better luck at the beginning of December. That way you miss the Thanksgiving break crowd and leave before Christmas break starts. Any time kids are off school the parks get more crowded.:crowded:

4. jacs1234

jacs1234 DIS Veteran

We always go early December and we find the crowds very manageable.

5. KCmike

KCmike Never have fallen asleep on any

I feel your pain. We are thinking of going back to DL for Christmas in 2013 as well.

6. MotoWifey185

MotoWifey185 .:dirt bikes to doom buggies:.

Haha, I've got those post-wedding bridal blues pretty bad! That's the reason I p

7. MotoWifey185

MotoWifey185 .:dirt bikes to doom buggies:.

Oops, I'm on my phone and accidentally hit send. Anyway, hoping this "second honeymoon" this weekend will make it all better :) I just want to be back in Hawaii for a week with my new hubby, not a care in the world! I get those Disney withdrawals but not as bad since I know we go quite a bit. I just listen to the Disney soundtrack and make scrapbooks and videos with our pics and vids and it helps me relive the memories :)

Personally, I would pick option 1, between thanksgiving and Christmas. Just because of the lighter crowds. But that's just me, I wish I was brave Enough to go during Christmas. I want one of those homemade candy canes!

8. Sherry E

Sherry E Currently tag-less... Moderator

MotoWifey185 -

The freshly made candy canes start in November (not sure of this year's exact dates yet) and carry into December. I suspect that this year or next year the canes will be made at Trolley Treats in DCA, though I'm not sure if they will also still be made at Candy Palace in DL too.

sweethannah -

The holiday season at DLR should most likely officially begin on 11/8, 11/11 or 11/15 in 2013. If you want the full holiday experience (meaning all decorations are up all over DLR and all holiday offerings are in effect), I would go just after Thanksgiving.

By most accounts, that week immediately following Thanksgiving weekend is delightful as far as lower crowds while still getting the full holiday experience (and I am including the hotels' gorgeous decorations in that mix). I went in the first week of December last year and it was fine - meaning the crowds were not horrible at all. In fact, one of the days was downright uncrowded!

However - keep these things in mind which may or may not affect crowds:

1. The Candlelight Processional is taking place on 20 nights this year - this is a huge leap from its previous 2-night run every year. We have no clue how this will affect crowds this year...or next year. It may suddenly become a factor in the crowd levels during the previously less crowded times. We just don't know yet, and won't see what kind of effects the CP causes until this coming holiday season. In other words, if the CP brings huge crowds this year, then next year people may elect to visit DLR during times before the CP begins, like in late November, to avoid crowds; however...

2. ...There is quite possibly going to be a Christmas party next year, like the Halloween party. The party would probably include the CP as well as the existing holiday parade and fireworks. If this takes place, it would be the first year for a Christmas party at DLR, and this could/would likely affect crowds in some way too.

The gingerbread and peppermint goodies should be out and ready to be eaten as soon as the holiday season officially begins in mid-November next year, if not before.