its official... world of color is replacing illuminations

Sigh...once again, we get an "official" statement that isn't official, people pipe up saying it isn't official, and other people pipe up saying how all the previous people are being mean and have no lives, when only one or two posts are even approaching it...

Yes, this is a public forum. People are free to post what they want, within the rules.

And people have to expect that such a post may elicit criticism, which they may not like. Because for the same reason - it's a public forum.

If you feel a post is against the rules, report it. But trust me...things aren't going to change. This board has been around for years, and it's been that way for years. Other boards are very similar, no matter their size.

As for who can get hurt - well, if an inexperienced person came here, read that post, and went to WDW expecting to see WoC because it was "official", well...

Now, as for the actual content, there are just too many problems with bringing WoC to WDW, as mentioned. They'd have to get rid of the boats that travel between the Showcase Plaza and Morocco/Germany as well, and build a new boat/maintenance facility since the current one is by the African Outpost, and they wouldn't be able to take the boats from Crescent Lake through the lagoon any more.

Thinking out loud...

Where _could_ they do it? Within the parks, I'm not sure.

They could, in theory, cordone off a smaller area of the lagoon, but contamination is too easy from the adjoining water (one of the reason River Country isn't likely to re-open).

There is room for it in the larger water area of AK - but again, keeping it clean could be tough.

Hmm...if they got rid of the Rivers of America/Tom Sawyers Island, they could potentially do it in that area.

Out of parks, Crescent Lake or Buena Vista Lagoon (between DTD and SSR) are big enough. The former has the same boat problem as WS Lagoon. The latter has some boats that could be terminated on West Side. And it would bring more interest to the area (especially with the revamp coming), but how they'd get people to pay for it would be a challenge.

And still, they are all "natural" water areas, which is part of the problem.

But all of those are "natural" water areas.

I really think they'd have to build a "pool" for it.

There aren't many of those in the main parks.

Maybe they could replace Fantasmic, but I don't see that happening, and I'm not sure how much space they need - the Fantasmic area is overall smaller - It's probably short by about 50 feet, and that doesn't include a buffer area (WoC appears to be roughly 360 feet wide). Echo Lake is even smaller.

My thoughts are it boils down to perception...A new poster may inadvertently post a rumor as 'official' without being aware of the firestorm that may follow. True, there may also be trolls but the newbie missteps are most likely the cause for most inaccurate 'official' information.

I am sensitive so a few of the comments have seemed harsh to me. For others, such as my sister, probably not so much. I think that we should all consider our audience prior to posting.

There is a simple, tactful way to say 'Disboards has found that the term official is appropriate if there is a press release or -fill in the blank- to corroborate the information. Thanks for posting and welcome!' Or a variation of this.

To the OP and all posters, have a magical day! pixiedust:

You have missed the point. The point is Who Cares,really. This is not life or death, no money has been lost or stolen. No one will be hurt. And anyone who believes they or anyone else may be somehow hurt by believing a rumor is a fact, is kidding themselves and just justifying rude behavior for the most part. If no one is getting hurt, then ignore it and don't be rude.
Too many people have been attacked and disillusioned when they simply misspeak or say the "wrong" word.
It isn't right. Leave them alone.

:thumbsup2 I have noticed that some posters are very rude to people when there is absolutely no need to be. If you can't say anything nice....;)

Is the filtering of water issue because the audience gets sprayed? Or is it because the fountains require it to function?

And what is the deal with the mud slinging in this thread?

Is the filtering of water issue because the audience gets sprayed? Or is it because the fountains require it to function?

I think it is more to prevent clogging of valves, mucking up joints, etc.

And what is the deal with the mud slinging in this thread?

I've seen more complaints about the mudslinging than the mud itself...which also needs to be kept out of the lagoon :)

FYI, they did the BIG announcement just a few minutes ago. You know what's coming to Epcot? Nothing. Not. A. Thing.

It was all for 24-hour park day on May 24th, for MK, DL and CA parks. [Edited: got confused]

The only reason it was at Epcot was so they could use Spaceship Earth as a giant Mike Wazowski.

:thumbsup2 I have noticed that some posters are very rude to people when there is absolutely no need to be. If you can't say anything nice....;)

If you can't take the heat...:teacher:

I see some people saying that if the OP is new, perhaps they don't understand the way things work. It's not just the Dis. This attitude about new posters and rumours is not unique. If you went to the Cats forum I belong to and started posting 'official news' without any sort of source to back it up, you'd get just as much flack. In fact, people with barely any posts who go around saying ridiculous things often get the banhammer. It's called trolling, and if someone's doing it inadvertently, they had better well learn quickly that that's not acceptable.

I'm not slamming the OP. For all I know, they may be new to the Internet itself. However, defending trolls is silly and it's up to everyone to learn and adapt to the sometimes-strange rules of the Interwebs.

Probably asking a silly question... How do you all know abt what the WOC is??? New to the boards but I thought I was we'll versed with the parks. Thanks in advance. And to the OP- just change the title as it did catch my eye :)

I totally agree with you there. I have been a member here for a long time, about 2005 or so and I've noticed some nasty behavior in the last year or so. I use to be a big poster but lately I lurk more and more because of the attitude of some.

Probably asking a silly question... How do you all know abt what the WOC is??? New to the boards but I thought I was we'll versed with the parks. Thanks in advance. And to the OP- just change the title as it did catch my eye :)

World of Color. It's a nighttime show at Disneyland or California Adventures ( I think that's the name of the park).

I really don't think anyone's been that nasty. However, you throw out "IT'S OFFICIAL!" in your title, and then post what is basically a rumor, you're gonna get razzed for it. Especially when it's something like this that is so clearly unlikely.

Those of us that have been on the boards have seen so many "on good authority" rumors that have amounted to nothing that we can smell a bad one. If it comes out as being "nasty" for us to say we think you are wrong...I don't know.

I've posted rumors on here myself. I've always had them sourced from somewhere. Many of them have been wrong. Some have been dead on. (I posted a link to a film shoot for Star Tours 2.0 about 6 months before it was announced.) It doesn't hurt my feelings if someone says my rumor makes no sense, or my source is no good. C'mon, this is the internet. You better have some thick skin, even on the DIS, which is in my view one of the kinder, gentler sites on the internet.

I really don't think anyone's been that nasty. However, you throw out "IT'S OFFICIAL!" in your title, and then post what is basically a rumor, you're gonna get razzed for it. Especially when it's something like this that is so clearly unlikely.

Those of us that have been on the boards have seen so many "on good authority" rumors that have amounted to nothing that we can smell a bad one. If it comes out as being "nasty" for us to say we think you are wrong...I don't know.

I've posted rumors on here myself. I've always had them sourced from somewhere. Many of them have been wrong. Some have been dead on. (I posted a link to a film shoot for Star Tours 2.0 about 6 months before it was announced.) It doesn't hurt my feelings if someone says my rumor makes no sense, or my source is no good. C'mon, this is the internet. You better have some thick skin, even on the DIS, which is in my view one of the kinder, gentler sites on the internet.

I think there were a couple of comments that were borderline nasty but I was talking about the mood of the boards generally. There have been several posts in the last year that got pretty nasty. I think at times writing things on an Internet board makes people say and do things they would never think about in real life.

As others have said, it is unlikely that WoC will replace Illuminations at Epcot, as the viewing requirements are different for each show. WoC is viewed from one side, while Illuminations has 360 degree viewing. Also, in order to install the WoC lights and fountains, the entire World Showcase Lagoon would need to be emptied and modified. I just don't see this happening. Not impossible, just improbable.

However, the show could be installed in a new venue at any park. Just because a park has existing water features doesn't mean that's where the WoC show would have to be installed. On that note:

WoC could be installed at DAK. The show doesn't contain "fireworks", but does contain flame effects, which don't have percussive/explosive sounds. The show sound as it exists at DCA was specifically designed to be in compliance with the local noise "ordinance", as DCA is in very close proximity to a residential neighborhood. WoC would be the perfect night time spectacular for DAK, given it's current design elements and I might add, that most of the current content would fit with the DAK theme as well, minus WALL-E, Toy Story, and Pirates. But Hey it's Disney. They can figure it out.

If you can't take the heat...:teacher:

I see some people saying that if the OP is new, perhaps they don't understand the way things work. It's not just the Dis. This attitude about new posters and rumours is not unique. If you went to the Cats forum I belong to and started posting 'official news' without any sort of source to back it up, you'd get just as much flack. In fact, people with barely any posts who go around saying ridiculous things often get the banhammer. It's called trolling, and if someone's doing it inadvertently, they had better well learn quickly that that's not acceptable.

I'm not slamming the OP. For all I know, they may be new to the Internet itself. However, defending trolls is silly and it's up to everyone to learn and adapt to the sometimes-strange rules of the Interwebs.

Again, completely agree with you on this and well put!

anthony2k7 and those like him take the fun out of visiting this website. So what if the OP is new. There is no caste system here. This is a public forum open to all those who love Disney. Lighten up!

ok whatever.

Anyway, yesterday came and went and surprise surprise no "official" announcement about WoC.

So until the next supposedly new person decides to announce something else on behalf of Disney as "Official" I think this subject is done.

I do hope the mods are checking out if any of these new people have the same IP address etc though...

I haven't been able to take a trip to Disneyland and see world of color. As much as I would love to be able to see world of color when im at Disney there is no way I could give up one of the other shows. I love illuminations and every time we go we end up seeing from a different part of the lagoon. I think it is a great way to end a day in EPCOT.
The same goes with Fantasmic I know its been around for a while but I look forward to seeing it every time we go. I don't feel like I haven't spent the day in DHS if I don't get my Hollywood n vine and fastasmic. Its clear that people still love Fantasmic seeing as they line up hours before the show to get a seat, some might find it outdated...I find it to be a classic like the electrical parade at MK.
I think having different shows between WDW and DLR is great. When I go to DLR I really want it to feel like its the first time I have been to a Disney park. I know there are a lot of differences and DLR has CA but if they had all the same shows it would lose some of its awe appeal for me personally. I would just continue going to WDW because its closer and I don't have to go through the hassle flying (its easier for us to drive to FL)

On a side note...my first trip in 2000 they also had Tapestry of Nations for the millennium celebration and I loved it. I wish they would bring it back even it was only for a short time.

We should just squash this whole thing. View it like this... lets say you walk into a room with 1,000 Disney fans/experts and announce "its official... blah blah blah" and it really isn't true. Do you think the whole room would disregard it and just let it go? Absolutly not. I know this is a rumors board, but when you attatch the magical "confirmed" or "official" words, they better be legit bc you are saying its no longer a rumor. That is how you should view a forum, especially one like the DIS that has so many followers and users. Granted, some of us could be a little more nice in our tone, but to be honest you have to expect that. It is suspicious when the OP has only a few posts and drops a "confirmed" thread, as we have seen in the past with threads like this. i am in no means saying people with low post counts don't know anything or that their posts are irrelevant. Just pointing out how sometimes peope create accounts to basically spam the boards.

thats why I usually go to wdwrumors.com to check on the latest buzz (not lightyear lol) and then come here for the discussion on other things

So until the next supposedly new person decides to announce something else on behalf of Disney as "Official" I think this subject is done.

It's "official", Anthony2k7 needs to lighten up.

I'm gonna side with anthony2k7 on this one. I don't think anything he said was overly harsh, and especially he even said (and I'm paraphrasing) "nothing personal to original poster but new members posting 'official' rumors with no basis other than a CM told them are not a very trustworthy source", and he's right.

Are people suggesting that we should just agree with every rumor posted?

I haven't been able to take a trip to Disneyland and see world of color. As much as I would love to be able to see world of color when im at Disney there is no way I could give up one of the other shows.

Back to the (side) topic of World of Color - I'm not sure how many people have seen it. I was lucky enough to see it last year, and I have to say it blows all the WDW shows away. Simply amazing.

However, there is NO location at WDW that would work for this show. Epcot as pointed out has too large and spacious a lagoon. It would never work. MK obviously has no place for it.

DAK wouldn't really work either. Sure, there's no fireworks, but there are fire effects and it is very loud. I cannot picture that they could run the show there at night anyways. Even if they could, there also needs to be a broad open viewing area, and there is really no place like this in AK. The closest area would be where the Discover river over by EE, but again there's not a real large straight area all facing one direction. Not to say it couldn't be done, but I think it unlikely.

In fact, the ONLY place that it might actually work would be DHS where the Fantastmic theatre is, as much of World Of Color is like the water projection screens there. But why would they replace an immensely popular show with something that would have the same level of draw? Doesn't make sense.

Really, I think this is more of a fan-made rumor than anything Disney has EVER indicated. Has Disney EVER mentioned cloning world of color? Not once that I am aware of. Just because it's a great show doesn't mean it has to be everywhere. Each park really needs it's own show. Even Fantasmic most agree doesn't work as well in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter