It's official - It's Harry Potter

I think Universal's plans for HP are extensive and will probably be able to do it up right without "craming it in" in IOA. The only question is, will they be able to do it on budget and how much will "doing it up right" cost them and what is the time frame for ROI (return on investment).

Ok, I really don't like Universal too much, but I'm so excited about this! I love Harry Potter.

It sounds pretty awesome.

If they just try to cram it in at IOA that will be very disappointing. I am already disappointed Disney didn't get it but let's hope Universal doesn't cut corners for corporate profit.

Come on, its not like Disney is a charitable organization devoted to bringing magic to make the world a better place or something. They are just as much of a corporation as Universal and they cut corners just as much as Universal Studios does (the Disney resorts for the rates they charge are a good example of this to me).

I can imagine that there are several factors in Disney's decision not to pursue the HP project.

1. Disney wants to have total control over all aspects of their parks. JK Rowling is very particular about how her franchise is perceived and I am sure will have final say on everything HP at Universal.

2. This is not an investment that requires just increased revenue for several years after the park opens. This investment will require an increase in revenue over the next 10-15 years for it to be viable. Universal is gambling that it will happen, Disney may not have been as confident.

3. Disney may have felt it better to be prudent and continue to add attractions to a lot of their underutilized space. For the money spent on HP, Disney can probably put in another 4-5 feature attractions in their existing parks at the level of a Expedition Everest. And as we all know, Disney is a master of marketing. They may think they can get a lot more bang for their buck adding to their existing stable than going way outside the box.

I would be one that would like to go to see the new Harry Potter world when it opens. But will it be an attraction, combined with the existing US/IOA offerings that I go to year-after-year? Probably not...I think this will be an attraction where people will flock to it just to see it but will probably not generate the kind of repeatable appeal that the entire package at WDW offers.

In addition, I think the HP project will totally max out Universal's new attraction budget for the next 5-7 years. It will probably take 2-3 of those years just to get built and get open and at which time I am sure parts of IOA will need to be closed due to the construction. So, with no new attractions and possibly shutting down some exisiting areas of IOA, Universal is probably counting on a slight decline in attendance until HP opens.

I completely disagree with you.
I did not expect to enjoy Universal. We went only for our teenager. Well the first thing out of my mouth when I entered IOA was "wow they out disney'ed disney". I still stand by that statement 6 years later. IOA takes the theming above and beyond what WDW does.

:confused: ...lol....couldn't disagree with you more! My DD (17) and I were in U this april...and while we enjoyed it...it just doesn't have the depth that Disney does. Universal has the "thrills"....but, Disney (IMO)....still has them beat. We enjoy the cleanliness of the parks....the flora....and the "aesthetics" that surround you....just seems that U parks lack these somehow.
.....I'd love to see U do the HP books justice....I hope that they're able to create the richness and depth the stories contain....with a long-term construction plan.....
....but, I doubt it.......:scared1:

I totally disagree with this. WDW is an amusement park just like Universal is an amusement park. I have as much of an immersion experience at Universal as I do at WDW.
We just returned from both today and I guarantee that the employees at WDW,that we encountered, were not sparkly-surly is more like it. We had the opposite experience at Univeral-the employees were smiling and very helpful. WDW employees seem to be feeling a pinch of some sort. There has been talk of a strike so that might be the reason for the unDisney attitude.
To each his/her own but I think Universal has by far jumped ahead in the people happy attitudes over WDW. Universal is aptly named because it appeals universally to everyone no matter their age.

I love US/IOA as much as I love WDW ...but for different reasons. US/IOA offers my family a more affordable vacation with MUCH more flexible annual pass options. For instance, an annual pass with no blackout dates is $99 per person (renewable after first year) with great in-park discounts, etc. Flex payments and AMAZING hotels (Loews Brand...great theming).

I believe with all my heart that US will get it right with the new park. Their recent construction (last five years) has been done really, really well with excellent theming. They have great shows and attractions along with high quality thrill rides. Spiderman? That ride was and still is cutting edge.
Another thing, they have great in-park dining. Mythos has won national awards for the cuisine and is much less expensive than WDW dining options.

Noone can beat WDW for it's brand identity and loyal fans (including ME!). But when you stay at US/IOA hotels, visit the parks and utilize your express on-site pass option, dine at innovative themed restuarants and then take a lovely boat ride back to an Italian village where you dine on the plaza while Italian singers serenade you from the balconies above I would say that US/IOA is doing a wonderful job. Or maybe your kids want to rent the Stevie Wonder cabana at the Hard Rock on the sand beach right next to the kids pool and water slide. Or try the luau at the Royal Pacific.

My point is that there are wonderful options for Orlando vacations that offer quality. US/IOA is much, much different that WDW but wonderful just the same.

Upcoming trips:

July: Portofino Hotel at US/IOA
Sept: WDW/Port Orleans
Dec: WdW/Poly Concierge

Counting the days!:cool1:

US/IOA offers my family a more affordable vacation with MUCH more flexible annual pass options. For instance, an annual pass with no blackout dates is $99 per person (renewable after first year) with great in-park discounts, etc. Flex payments and AMAZING hotels (Loews Brand...great theming).)
Just some claification on the annual passes...The Power Pass is $129.95/year with limited blackout dates but NO park discounts. The Preferred Pass is $189.95/yr which renews at $99.00 + tax but offers park discounts and NO black out dates. I don't know what kind of pass you have for $99.00 but if you have the Power Pass you'd better check the black out dates again so there won't be any surprises.

The Pirates movies and Jack Sparrow would have been nothing without Johnny Depp.

Just like 300 would have been nothing without ummm, er:confused: Movies make it if movies are good. Movies flop if they are bad. Many stars make many flops. An actor is only as good as the vehicle he stars in. The most brilliant actor couldn't turn trash to treasure. As I've stated before, my kids had no earthly idea who Johnny Depp was before pirates and they still aren't interested in him if he is not in a pirate suit and neither am I. I would also imagine that many other children and teens who are a fan of the franchise were not previously fans of Johnny Depp. That speaks to his masterful portrayal of the character of captain jack but most importantly, the caliber of the Pirates films.

Obviously he did a great job with the character he was given. The franchise couldn't survive without him in that role because he is who we have come to identify with as Captain Jack. However, this film did not become the block buster it is simply because of Johhny Depp. That would be taking away from the brilliantly imaginitive work of all the creative geniuses involved that helped to make this series so stunning. The Pirates series is a masterful body of work in which any actor, however brilliant, would have been fortunate to be involved.

Now back to my original point which is a Pirate island would be a hugely popular and brilliant counter to HP island. They can and should do it. Disney has very little for boys and teens. This would more than solve it and it would also neutralize the effect that HP island will have on Disney's bottome line.

Releasing the hostages.

They said this: an annual pass with no blackout dates is $99 per person (renewable after first year)

don't know what kind of pass you have for $99.00 but if you have the Power Pass you'd better check the black out dates again so there won't be any surprises.

Wow.. I just spent a good part of my morning reading through this thread and checking out the Universal email. I'm soooo excited to hear about this new adventure.

To wrap up what someone already to said.. to each his own! I have been, and will probably always will be a die-hard Disney fan. But you can betcha I'll be checking out the new HP land, as I'm also a die-hard HP fan! Of course, I'll be driving over to IoA from my Disney resort!!;)

Do I think it will hurt Disney? Eh.. maybe a millimeter...

We LOVE Harry Potter in my house. We are already planning a 2010 trip to see the WWofHP. We have never been to universal before, so it will be very exciting for us.

That being said, I dont think Universal could ever really hurt Disney. We will still stay at a Disney resort and still get the park hopper for however long we will stay. Anything that draws people to Orlando is good for Disney business. :goodvibes

Just some claification on the annual passes...The Power Pass is $129.95/year with limited blackout dates but NO park discounts. The Preferred Pass is $189.95/yr which renews at $99.00 + tax but offers park discounts and NO black out dates. I don't know what kind of pass you have for $99.00 but if you have the Power Pass you'd better check the black out dates again so there won't be any surprises.

Yes, we paid the first year at that rate. HOWEVER, once you do the first year at that rate (and they let you use flex pay) then you can renew for $99 per person as long as you pay the entire amount upfront. So this will be our second time renewing for 99. Thats why I said after the first year. And there are NO limitations on this, no blackouts, discounts do apply.

Just like 300 would have been nothing without ummm, er:confused: Movies make it if movies are good. Movies flop if they are bad. Many stars make many flops. An actor is only as good as the vehicle he stars in. The most brilliant actor couldn't turn trash to treasure. As I've stated before, my kids had no earthly idea who Johnny Depp was before pirates and they still aren't interested in him if he is not in a pirate suit and neither am I. I would also imagine that many other children and teens who are a fan of the franchise were not previously fans of Johnny Depp. That speaks to his masterful portrayal of the character of captain jack but most importantly, the caliber of the Pirates films.

Obviously he did a great job with the character he was given. The franchise couldn't survive without him in that role because he is who we have come to identify with as Captain Jack. However, this film did not become the block buster it is simply because of Johhny Depp. That would be taking away from the brilliantly imaginitive work of all the creative geniuses involved that helped to make this series so stunning. The Pirates series is a masterful body of work in which any actor, however brilliant, would have been fortunate to be involved.

Now back to my original point which is a Pirate island would be a hugely popular and brilliant counter to HP island. They can and should do it. Disney has very little for boys and teens. This would more than solve it and it would also neutralize the effect that HP island will have on Disney's bottome line.

Releasing the hostages.

I would LOVE to see a Pirate Island. Great idea, my kids did the pirate cruise at WDW a bazillion years ago and loved it. they still talk about it.

I totally disagree with this. WDW is an amusement park just like Universal is an amusement park. I have as much of an immersion experience at Universal as I do at WDW.
We just returned from both today and I guarantee that the employees at WDW,that we encountered, were not sparkly-surly is more like it. We had the opposite experience at Univeral-the employees were smiling and very helpful. WDW employees seem to be feeling a pinch of some sort. There has been talk of a strike so that might be the reason for the unDisney attitude.
To each his/her own but I think Universal has by far jumped ahead in the people happy attitudes over WDW. Universal is aptly named because it appeals universally to everyone no matter their age.

Not true, it's doesn't appeal to me! :confused3 I know for a fact that I am not the only one who feels this way. I will probably never waste my money or time there again.

Gerard Butler. And he's an excellent actor too, with a gift for bringing his characters to life. ;) Not nearly as good at choosing roles as Depp, though...

I agree that it is the script itself that is the single most important factor, but casting can make or break a good vehicle in some cases. An exceptional actor brings something of his own to a role, while a lesser actor plays a role as it is written. It was Johnny Depp, not the writers or Disney execs or even the director, who brought that Keith Richards-inspired swagger to the role of Jack Sparrow. A lesser actor who might have been less imaginative with his portrayal of the role could *easily* have killed the PotC films, either by not making the role that memorable or not having the strength/clout to defend a more unconventional portrayal. There are many, many sources who say that initially, Disney execs didn't like the way Depp played Sparrow, and wanted a more straight, less "drunken" performance, but Depp & Verbinski went to bat for the Capt Jack we all know and love. And what would those movies have been if Jack had been played like a rehashed Captain Hook?

You don't have to be a Johnny Depp fan or even know who he is for his performance to matter to your enjoyment of the film. Imagine 300 if they had cast some big-draw, marginally talented star like Brad Pitt as Leonitus. Would it have been the same movie with a stiff, unpassionate, unconvincing lead? Of course not. (Did you happen to see Troy? :rolleyes1 ) And Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't have been the same success with an actor who would merely have followed the script in the role of Jack, no matter how good the vehicle itself was. pirate:

IMHO a Hogwarts Hotel NEEDS to have two things, and SHOULD have a third: Needs: (1) A replica dining hall (preferably with a changeable ceiling); (2) An atrium lobby with moving (though non-usable, purely decorative) staircases (think about it - if the staircases moved every 15 minutes or so, kids would be so into that); and the "should have" number (3): animated portraits that react to passerby.

I'll be in my basement mocking some of this up, and will let you know when it's ready for prime time. :rotfl2:

Right on! My kids are so up for this.

And to the non-Depp fans, I stand by my statement that Pirates would be nothing like the commercial success it has been without Johnny Depp. Pick any handful of reviews of Curse of the Black Pearl, people were well prepared for it to crash and burn like so many pirate movies (Hook, anyone?).

As another poster said, Disney execs were initially horrified by the actor's idea to play the character as a dippy and somewhat sexually ambiguous anti-hero. But that in fact is what made it work. Try to picture George Clooney in the role...nope, not feelin' it (and I love George Clooney).

I just wonder if this park will stand the test of time as Disney has, the Harry Potter Books may be popular now (I do enjoy the books), but what about 50 years into the future. The big challenge for this park will be weather they stick more to the movies (which most people have seen at least one of, and which will be continued to be watched for years to come) or book theme (which because of the movies not as many people have read), and the amount of work and time that must go into the building and design to make the stuff look real. While on one of our Disney trips I have to go to the HP Park and see, I hope they have a gift shop that sells sugar quills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter