It's official - It's Harry Potter

I guess we will have to go to US now.

LOVE HP!

up until this point there has never been enough at US/IOA to entice my family away from WDW. SeaWorld, yes, for a day out of a 7-10 day WDW vacation.

with the Harry Potter addition, we will certainly go for at least a day. (maybe more - depending on how the pricing layout is designed) i sure hope they do it justice.

WDW has the money, land, and experience to answer and answer big.

With what....? HP is the biggest, ripest character franchise in the world. Period. There's nothing that The Incredibles, or Toy Story, or whatever can do to change that. I love Disney but they just had their hat handed to them, assuming that Universal follows through with the promise of the concept.

The real key here is how much is Universal going to invest in this plan? A cheap overlay will not work, but I suspect with Rowlings in the mix, that was NOT an option. :rotfl: :banana: :banana: :banana:

From more than one source I've heard they have a potential development budget (covering Harry Potter, new hotel and Simpsons) approaching $500M - I'm pretty certain it won't be chumpy - but then again, I've seen Universal screw up two car funerals. I have faith in the new management team over there though - they seem to have their act together and I'm hoping that translates well into this new project. The Simpsons will be our first taste of "new" Universal - that will tell us something about how serious they are.

Pete

Wow...nice job Universal, wonder why Disney couldn't get a deal worked out when they were negotiating? We really liked IoA, but certainly didn't have much for the young kids. This would really solidify Universal as a destination for the pre-teen + market.

Rumors are that HP will be done at IoA on the Lost Continent site. I think it will be a very popular attraction. I don't think it presents a serious challenge to WDW as far as overall market share however. Is it worth a day pass? Yes Will it be a vacation destination? No.

I've never been interested in going to Universal, but this may change with Hogwarts there. But, who are we kidding, WDW will always be my first love.

I will join those who are a little saddened that Disney didn't jump all over getting the rights to do this. Especially in light of all the comments/complaints about Disney being very Princess/girly focused these days, HP could have been a great addition to the World.

In the end, though, I don't care who is doing it as long as it gets done. We figured on our first non-Disney Orlando trip in 2009 or 2010, to do Discovery Cove, the Universal Parks, Sea World and Aquatica, so we'll just have to plan it around the HP opening. :)

Huge Harry Potter fan here!

I told DBF about this and he pretty much knows that means we are going back in 2009 definitly! I'm excited to see what kind of rides/attractions they will have. I am also curious to see how they will transform that section of the park into the dark and mysterious world of HP! In any event, let the countdown to 2009 begin!!:banana:

Sounds like it will be just more simulator rides and a few buildings designed to look like places in the book. Just like they have now. Good for a day, but not more than that. For people who cannot do simulator rides, this would mean it is not worth it to go. But we will have to wait until 2009 to see what the park has. Everyone can guess, but until that time, who really knows.

OK never been to Universal but now I know where DH and I will be in 2009, besides Disney of course. Disney needs to step up to the plate and do something huge like this. What I dont get is why is Universal Studios doing this. You would think it would be at a 6 Flags park since 6 flags is a WB park. Another thing is Disney probably could have done this to since they do show the movies sometimes on the Disney Channel. If Disney doesnt start stepping up to plate they might start loosing guests to the other parks in Orlando. I mean think about Disney is getting really expensive. I figured out that DH and I could stay at some hotel in Orlando, do both Universal Studios PLUS sea world for a week including food and gas and it still comes out cheaper then Disney or comes out even by staying at an All Star doing the DDP with park hopper tickets.

I lovvvvvve Universal, but I dont think its that cheap, apposed to Disney who offer value resorts. I am staying at the RPR for Halloween Horror Nights in Oct, and my 4 night package is 1076, over the cost of a 7 night in a value at Disney, so no Disney is not cheap, by a long shot but they do offer value. So, I dont know.

:confused3

Also for those who are interested in learning more there are several posts over on Universal' side of the boards. But, be nice over there
To be perfectly honest, I never even read a HP book, or watched a HP movie, but Universal will always be my second "home" when I visit Orlando. And I hope whatever attraction they put into the HP world, other than retheming deuling dragons is a another thrill ride. Keeping my fingers crossed. Because, the innovative thrilling attractions are what I go for.

Add me to the list of people who will be going to Universal. I'm only two hours away but as someone with no interest in thrill ride I never saw any reason to go there. I will now!

Same here. Dont get me wrong Ive always wanted to go to Universal but really didnt find the need or REALLY wanting to. If I really wanted to go, I would have by now. But now that HP is coming to Universal, now I NEED to go.

If they just try to cram it in at IOA that will be very disappointing. I am already disappointed Disney didn't get it but let's hope Universal doesn't cut corners for corporate profit.

If they just try to cram it in at IOA that will be very disappointing. I am already disappointed Disney didn't get it but let's hope Universal doesn't cut corners for corporate profit.
I doubt Universal will cut corners with this construction. All parties concerned want this to be done right...and Universal will do this right.

The popularity of these books will make it impossible to cut corners on this attraction. I think they know that the fans are expecting larger than life presentation and if they fall short of that it will spell disaster. I have never been to universal, but I will definatly make a visit to see this. Well, I take that back I will probably be making a visit for horror nights since disney doesn't offer an adult alternative to MNSSHP.

Disney is going to feel this.:sad2:

Disney could make a very strong counter with a Pirate Island. They spent 300 million on the last Pirate's movie because the franchise is wildly popular and they will likely make many times that on the franchise. They clearly could spend money on a themeland within Disney World that would be a killer immersive environment that the fans of the Pirates franchise would go mad for. Plus they need to have something as strong as the princess connection is for girls, for boys. Pirates is it for them. I don't know why they continue to throw pennies at the pirate stuff in the parks like changing Tom Sawyer island in Disney Land to a pirate theme and doing the P&P and having Jack Sparrow out. That is not enough. Disney can be so slow sometimes. They need to strike while the iron is hot.

Disney needs to stop sleeping and get on it ASAP!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter