It's NEVER Too Late, for Number 8 - the most UNOFFICIAL, 'official' AKL thread yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just called and booked it for Friday February 1st! :banana:

It's much less costly having only two people. It was still $149 and change, but I think it will be something really neat. I doubt that I'll get many good pictures though!

franandaj said:
OK, I just called and booked it for Friday February 1st! :banana:

It's much less costly having only two people. It was still $149 and change, but I think it will be something really neat. I doubt that I'll get many good pictures though!

I'm tempted to do it alone and tell them to just get over it!!! :lmao:

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

Tracy
I am doing it 1/23. When I booked it there were still slots. I think because it's new people don't know about it yet so it's still open. I would definitely go alone :).
Heather

We will not be club level - I do hope that this NIGHT SAFARIS is available to ALL guests !!!
Thankyou :worship: for your answer !!
Another question , if you don't mind : we will be staying at AKL : how can we get back to our hotel AFTER the safaris ( midnight or so) ?
:wave2: laura

The slow way would be to take the bus to Downtown Disney & the transfer to a bus to your resort.

If you have a car that week I'd say drive over & back after. Just tell them you have the tour booked & you shouldn't have to pay for parking.

Or if you don't have a car, you could get bell services to get you a cab to take you back to your resort. That will cost a bit but will be quicker than the bus transfer I would think. For that hour of night I'd tell them before heading out to the tour you will be needing a cab after -- hopefully they will be on their game & have one waiting for you.

** I just read your post closer - I imagine if staying at AKL they will have a van or something. My response would make more sense for folks staying in another resort & coming over for the tour. Sorry! Been a long day & I need to pay closer attention.

On the road home from a great trip. The lodge was beautiful, and so much fun. My only gripe was it seemed like people would order room service and either not call for them to pick up the tray or room service would not pick it up. it was there at night and still there in the morning.

OMG, this! I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by this. I have never seen so many room service trays sitting in the corridor of a hotel for so long. And not just on one particular day--we were there for 8 nights and it was like that almost every day.

Other than that, we had a fantastic trip though! And even icky room service trays wouldn't stop me from staying there again:rotfl:

We will not be club level - I do hope that this NIGHT SAFARIS is available to ALL guests !!!
Thankyou :worship: for your answer !!
Another question , if you don't mind : we will be staying at AKL : how can we get back to our hotel AFTER the safaris ( midnight or so) ?
:wave2: laura

:wave2: Laura!!! I see that others have found information for you on the night safaris, but no one addressed your question about transportation. I think you have already figured out that since the safari is held at AKL there will be no need for transportation. I hope you and Marco have an amazing adventure in August!!

OMG, this! I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by this. I have never seen so many room service trays sitting in the corridor of a hotel for so long. And not just on one particular day--we were there for 8 nights and it was like that almost every day.

Other than that, we had a fantastic trip though! And even icky room service trays wouldn't stop me from staying there again:rotfl:

I just stayed at GF in October and thought the same thing! Nothing kills the mood of walking down a beautiful hallway more than smashed up food on a nasty ketchup smeared plate! OMG, I leave in a month!!! I love this board!

We leave in....... (drumroll please)...... 17 days, 5 hours and 20 minutes!! My family and I have never stayed in a deluxe at all, much less AKL. We are very excited and when we arrive at around 8 or 8:30 PM (fingers crossed - our flights lands at 6:50). So for newbies like us, what do you suggest we do right off the bat. We will *try* to get to bed at a reasonable time so we can be ready for MK the next day. But I want to at least see some animals there at the lodge before bed. Ideas?? Suggestions??

BTW, when I did my online check in on Saturday it asked my room prefereces and I could only choose 2 items. I picked "highest possible floor" and "close to lobby". Is that good? We have a Standard Pool View room...I am 99% sure that means we are in Jambo. Also one of the choices was for a certain trail, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I'm assuming since it's an option, it must be a good location though.

moopdog said:
We leave in....... (drumroll please)...... 17 days, 5 hours and 20 minutes!! My family and I have never stayed in a deluxe at all, much less AKL. We are very excited and when we arrive at around 8 or 8:30 PM (fingers crossed - our flights lands at 6:50). So for newbies like us, what do you suggest we do right off the bat. We will *try* to get to bed at a reasonable time so we can be ready for MK the next day. But I want to at least see some animals there at the lodge before bed. Ideas?? Suggestions??

BTW, when I did my online check in on Saturday it asked my room prefereces and I could only choose 2 items. I picked "highest possible floor" and "close to lobby". Is that good? We have a Standard Pool View room...I am 99% sure that means we are in Jambo. Also one of the choices was for a certain trail, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I'm assuming since it's an option, it must be a good location though.

Night vision googles that night at the viewing posts thats my suggestion! We havent been yet but everybody tells me they are great letting you see the animals at night! As it will be dark when you get there perfect! Have a great time :-)

We leave in....... (drumroll please)...... 17 days, 5 hours and 20 minutes!! My family and I have never stayed in a deluxe at all, much less AKL. We are very excited and when we arrive at around 8 or 8:30 PM (fingers crossed - our flights lands at 6:50). So for newbies like us, what do you suggest we do right off the bat. We will *try* to get to bed at a reasonable time so we can be ready for MK the next day. But I want to at least see some animals there at the lodge before bed. Ideas?? Suggestions?? ...

...you could just venture out to Arusha Rock and see animals....

If you have a normal hotel room booked it will always be Jambo! And you rroom ought to be overlooking the pool. There really aren't any bad rooms in that category in my opinion. I like higher floor in that category as you are more likely to actually see the pool and not just greenery.

The night vision goggles are at the overlook at the far end of the pool if you want to see some animals. Otherwise I would suggest to just take a little bit of time to explore the resort, the lobby, the pool, find your way around, check out wher the Mara is, etc. Go up to the floor with the suspension bridge (I think 5th floor it is) and walk across that. I am sure you will have fun that first evening!

:confused3 Do we or do we NOT need a car for our stay at AKL? I have seen so many conflicting reports about bus travel time. I don't want to open a big can of worms on this thread, but my DH doesn't want to get a car...and I'm leery about 'not' having one and realizing the wait FOR the bus combined with the LENGTH of the rides, (I saw someplace recently it can be a 40 minute ride each way at times) might make for a grumpy DH which = grumpy me. ;)

:confused3 Do we or do we NOT need a car for our stay at AKL? I have seen so many conflicting reports about bus travel time. I don't want to open a big can of worms on this thread, but my DH doesn't want to get a car...and I'm leery about 'not' having one and realizing the wait FOR the bus combined with the LENGTH of the rides, (I saw someplace recently it can be a 40 minute ride each way at times) might make for a grumpy DH which = grumpy me. ;)

For me, I never get a car. Best to let Disney do the driving! ;) Unless you plan to go off-site, there's really no need.

I've had waits up to 40 minutes for a bus (pretty rare though), but once on a bus, the ride has been 15-20 minutes max. :thumbsup2

We never used our car while staying at the AKL. The longest ride to the parks is Magic Kingdom, which is about 18-20 minutes.

I don't think AKL needs a car any more than any of the other Disney resorts. I actually took note of travel times for the first few stays and no bus travel time is longer than 20 minutes (well, maybe 22 or so if there is a lot of traffic). And that's to the MK. Epcot is nearly that long. DHS is about 12-15 minutes, but if the bus stops at Blizzard Beach on the way there (I experienced the bus stopping there even when BB was closed for its refurbishment as it is now) that's add anothe 5 minutes. The bus to AK does take 5 minutes. The good thing is once you get on the bus at Jambo the next stop will be the park. On the way back the bus will first go to Kidani, so adds another 5 minutes. I think the Downtown Disney busses go to Jambo first though.

Of course the question is how long you have to wait for a bus, but that's hit and miss at every of the Disney resorts. I don't believe one is really consistently worse or better than any other. From my experience of three long stays at AKL, I mostly had great luck with buses.

WDW is just very spread out and wherever you are there will be travel times involved. If you stayed at the Poly and took the monorail to the TTC to transfer to the Epcot monorail there, your travel time would be far longer than from AKL.

Hope this helps!!

Ciao Laura!

Found the following:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge has introduced a new nighttime safari tour on the Sunset Savanna exclusively for guests of the Lodge.

Taking place after dark, the hour long tour takes guests through the savanna for a close-up look at the animals. Night vision goggles add to the excitement.

The cost is $70 per guest for ages 8 and up. There is a 10 guest maximum, with tours taking place Wednesday and Saturdays at 10pm.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Kathy

FWIW, here's the info on the Night Vision safari I got from the IPO last week (staying CL for the first time in mid-April! :banana: ) I started another thread last week looking for info on it, but I guess it's pretty new because from the responses it sounds like no one on the boards has been on it yet.

In the IPO email, it specifically said the Sunrise Safari was for concierge guests, but didn't say that in the Night Vision info, so I presume it's open to everyone at AKL.

I hope this works - still new here and figuring out formatting etc :)

Robin

From IPO:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Night Visions Safari-

Join one of our Animal Programs Cast Members on an hour long Safari
Experience at Animal Kingdom Lodge. This experience takes place after
dark and is reminiscent of a nighttime African Game Drive through the
savannas. All guests will have use of night vision goggles to make the
most of their viewing experience. Plan on seeing our animals and
resort like never before.

A portion of the Tour price, $70 plus tax whichis $74.55, will be
donated to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.

Payment in full is taken at time of booking.

A 2 day Cancellation is required in order to receive a refund.

Arrive at Sanaa at 9:45 p.m. Late arrives will not be able to join
safari.

Guest under 18th must be accompanied by paying adult. Participants must
be at least 8 years of age.

Photo ID Required.

Dress for the weather. Safaris go out rain or shine but may be cancelled
due to severe weather.

Experience includes no food.

Total capacity for each night is limited to 10 guests only. No
exceptions may be made.

Currently offered on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The slow way would be to take the bus to Downtown Disney & the transfer to a bus to your resort.

If you have a car that week I'd say drive over & back after. Just tell them you have the tour booked & you shouldn't have to pay for parking.

Or if you don't have a car, you could get bell services to get you a cab to take you back to your resort. That will cost a bit but will be quicker than the bus transfer I would think. For that hour of night I'd tell them before heading out to the tour you will be needing a cab after -- hopefully they will be on their game & have one waiting for you.

** I just read your post closer - I imagine if staying at AKL they will have a van or something. My response would make more sense for folks staying in another resort & coming over for the tour. Sorry! Been a long day & I need to pay closer attention.

:wave2: Laura!!! I see that others have found information for you on the night safaris, but no one addressed your question about transportation. I think you have already figured out that since the safari is held at AKL there will be no need for transportation. I hope you and Marco have an amazing adventure in August!!

THANKYOU SO MUCH to everyone !!
As usual you all are STARS !!!

Here are all the info gathered - :dance3: in case someone else would like to know about the night safaris !!

[Off I go ... :eek::eek: in fact I am at school and SHOULD soon be starting with my oldest students an :littleangel: Intranet programme !?! :angel:)

Have a nice day , laura :grouphug:

:confused3Elin , they say that the safaris will start at Sanaa - so I think that they will drop us at the Villas - after the tour ... :confused3

Probably we could get a regular bus heading towards AKL ...
Marco is willing to :upsidedow:upsidedow WALK BACK ... but I suppose the trail has no lights at night ...:confused:

Hope you and family are keeping well , laura :love:

As far as bus rides go, those aren't going to be any longer than drive times.
Bus WAIT times are different. Sadly, we've found AKL to have the longest wait time of any resort we've called home for a week or two. Strangely enough, the best bus service we've ever experienced was at POP!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

Okay....last question ( I think). What's the easiest way to get from AKL to Hoop De Doo & then back? The last time we went to HDDR, it was a MK day so we just took a boat from MK to FW & back but this time is different. It's a resort & relaxation day. (gotta schedule one per trip)

This one is definitely a preference thing. We NEVER drive to the parks, even if we have a car. By the time you get to the park, get out, take a the tram or walk into the park it seems (to us, anyway) that it takes the same amount of time. There are others that will say the exact opposite, I am sure. But when we are on vacation I don't want to have to think about finding parking spaces. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter