It's NEVER Too Late, for Number 8 - the most UNOFFICIAL, 'official' AKL thread yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am just so excited that I was able to book our first stay at the AKL!!! Actually, it's not only our first stay at the resort, but our first time even walking into it. I finally convinced the DH yesterday to let me book, and he even let me book an Arusha view room. I told the DH that I didn't mind him sleeping until 10 AM every day on this trip b/c I would be sitting on the balcony drinking coffee, looking at the animals.

I am just so excited that I was able to book our first stay at the AKL!!! Actually, it's not only our first stay at the resort, but our first time even walking into it. I finally convinced the DH yesterday to let me book, and he even let me book an Arusha view room. I told the DH that I didn't mind him sleeping until 10 AM every day on this trip b/c I would be sitting on the balcony drinking coffee, looking at the animals.

Awesome! :cool1: You're going to love it!

Awesome! :cool1: You're going to love it!

Thank you :goodvibes

This will also be only the 2nd time for us to stay in a Deluxe. We stayed at the WL in 2006. I just can't wait to start the every day with a cup of coffee on the balcony. How is the coffee for the in room coffee maker? I teased my DH earlier that I would just bring our Keurig.

This will also be only the 2nd time for us to stay in a Deluxe. We stayed at the WL in 2006. I just can't wait to start the every day with a cup of coffee on the balcony. How is the coffee for the in room coffee maker? I teased my DH earlier that I would just bring our Keurig.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't speak on that subject. But there is truly nothing like being on the balcony watching the animals. I have to tear myself away most times.

letthewookiewin said:

My dh keeps teasing me about how I am going to get my Keurig in my suitcase. I am not sure what I am going to do without it for a week!

I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't speak on that subject. But there is truly nothing like being on the balcony watching the animals. I have to tear myself away most times.

....and, isn't it amazing how you never get tired of it? :confused3

letthewookiewin said:

Its meh. But imo, beats nescafe. Order from room service , or bring your own grounds if you're picky.:)

You may want to bring a portable Keurig:) The coffee in the room is Nescafe. The coffee maker is a Cuisinart that takes coffee pods -- little round disks of coffee filter filled with Nescafe. I looked everywhere for the coffee pods before I went to WDW and couldn't find anything I thought would work. It's possible that the Senseo brand would work but I didn't want to spend the money on a gamble. If you have a Disney celebration button of any kind, the coffee pod is slightly smaller in diameter than the button, which is slightly under 3".

I had a similar coffee maker with similar Starbucks pods at the Dolphin in October. My DH said even though it says it's Starbucks, it's not very good. From memory, I'd say the Starbucks pod was slightly larger than the Cuisinart pod and it needed to be stuffed into the small filter area, which may have effected the taste of the coffee. My sister (who's more of a coffee snob than I and was with me on the November trip) said there's too much filter to too little coffee to taste good with the coffee pods.

Mara, the quick service at AKL, serves Nescafe. Boma, which needs an ADR and is a buffet, does have good coffee. Boma's buffet was just under $20 out of pocket -- so it's a comparatively inexpensive ADR meal -- with good food. I ended up fixing black tea in the room and getting good coffee once I was at the theme park. I didn't check if the Victoria Lounge is open early in the morning but I think I read that they also serve Joffreys rather than Nescafe. Jiko serves Joffreys but is only open for dinner.

It is marvelous, isn't it:goodvibes Just got back from a girl's trip with my sister. We were on the third floor almost to the end of Kudu trail overlooking Arusha. It was a great location for animal watching.

Hello everyone on this fabulous thread! I'm a regular on The DIS, but not on the AKL thread. I'm loving it! I've stayed at AKL one, Kidani twice, and have a March trip booked for AKL as well. I am absolutely addicted to Boma, we go to Disney 3-4x a year & eat there at least 2x every trip!

I'm hoping all you AKL experts can help me out here.

Here is my question - can someone point me in the direction of any pictures of the Jambo 1BR villas? I seem to be having a hard time finding some. I absolutely fell in love with the 1BR & 2BR villas at Kidani, but this trip will be with the kids (the Kidani trips were girls trips!), so I think we want to be at Jambo, in the heart of everything, rather than Kidani. I realize there is only 1 bathroom in Jambo villas vs. 2 baths in Kidani. I've also read that Jambo villas are smaller square-footage-wise, but I can't seem to find a layout to compare it to Kidani. I also understand I can't book a value villa if I want the sleeper chair, correct? The kids won't share a bed so the sleeper chair is a must for us. 2nd bathroom not so much.

Thanks!

I guess I need to post on this thread again as I finally have a vacation booked at AKL again!!! :cool1:

To be precise, it is at AKV Jambo House in a standard view one-bedroom for next spring (sorry for not posting my dates, but my travel companion is not keen on dates being published on the internet).

I am soooo excited! :yay::yay::yay:

I have the flights booked already (which is the biggest expense if you have to cross an ocean) so plans are very definite! And we have plans to make sure to enjoy our wonderful villa (will be very difficult to stay somewhere smaller after getting used to the one-bedroom) and the resort to the fullest. I already have an ADR for Boma as I have to make sure to eat there during my stay!

You may want to bring a portable Keurig:) The coffee in the room is Nescafe. The coffee maker is a Cuisinart that takes coffee pods -- little round disks of coffee filter filled with Nescafe. I looked everywhere for the coffee pods before I went to WDW and couldn't find anything I thought would work. It's possible that the Senseo brand would work but I didn't want to spend the money on a gamble. If you have a Disney celebration button of any kind, the coffee pod is slightly smaller in diameter than the button, which is slightly under 3".

I had a similar coffee maker with similar Starbucks pods at the Dolphin in October. My DH said even though it says it's Starbucks, it's not very good. From memory, I'd say the Starbucks pod was slightly larger than the Cuisinart pod and it needed to be stuffed into the small filter area, which may have effected the taste of the coffee. My sister (who's more of a coffee snob than I and was with me on the November trip) said there's too much filter to too little coffee to taste good with the coffee pods.

Mara, the quick service at AKL, serves Nescafe. Boma, which needs an ADR and is a buffet, does have good coffee. Boma's buffet was just under $20 out of pocket -- so it's a comparatively inexpensive ADR meal -- with good food. I ended up fixing black tea in the room and getting good coffee once I was at the theme park. I didn't check if the Victoria Lounge is open early in the morning but I think I read that they also serve Joffreys rather than Nescafe. Jiko serves Joffreys but is only open for dinner.

We have a spare Keurig in the garage. The handle on our current one started feeling lose, and our grocery store had them on sale. That one has been sitting in it's box in the garage for about a year. I might even prestock up on Pumpkin Spice for the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!