Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

Beautiful photos! So many places to see!!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. There were only 12 people in your group?

12 of us (6 couples---adults only) + 2 Adventure Guides + 1 Local Guide most of the time.

We had fabulous Bus Drivers...Stephano in Rome and Franco to Orvieto/Florence.

Per the Guides...very small Family.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

12 of us (6 couples---adults only) + 2 Adventure Guides + 1 Local Guide most of the time.

We had fabulous Bus Drivers...Stephano in Rome and Franco to Orvieto/Florence.

Per the Guides...very small Family.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

That would be fabulous ! We had 22 on our trip, with 2 guides, 2 guides in training, and 1 hdq rep. Great group!

Little apprehensive about a larger group, with 13 kids, for our Germany trip, but I'm sure the guides will keep everyone happy! :-)

That would be fabulous ! We had 22 on our trip, with 2 guides, 2 guides in training, and 1 hdq rep. Great group!

Little apprehensive about a larger group, with 13 kids, for our Germany trip, but I'm sure the guides will keep everyone happy! :-)

Germany is one of the places I would enjoy going next! Have a Blast!!!!

Guess I hadn't posted here yet...here's some pictures from out Viva Italia Signature trip in May. These include my own shots as well as some of our ABD shots. And a couple videos! Definitely a wonderful trip!

http://dbeedle.com/Photos/ABD-Italy2013

:debwalk:

Sayhello....these are Our pics!
FABULOUS pics! I couldn't believe how empty the Vatican museum was, until I remembered that the Signature trip did that at night. What a wonderful way to see it! And you guys had some *serious* rain in Venice! OMG! But it doesn't look like you guys let it stop you. What a wonderful trip it looks like you had!

Sayhello

Guess I hadn't posted here yet...here's some pictures from out Viva Italia Signature trip in May. These include my own shots as well as some of our ABD shots. And a couple videos! Definitely a wonderful trip!

http://dbeedle.com/Photos/ABD-Italy2013

Thank you for posting these! It brought back so many memories of the Viva Italia trip I was on (in May 12).

Cristina was our local guide in Rome as well, and she was outstanding. Orvieto might very well be one of my favorite places in the world, I love the pictures from the Giacomini ceramics shop. I bought a serving platter there, and I want to go back and buy more (they do an awesome job shipping back to the US)!

Jason

I did all the arrangements. They only have my email.

The Adventure Guide for our trip told me to call.

----

Update: I will spare you the actual back and forth of the conversation, but after first telling me that it was my own fault because I hadn't signed a release to have them communicate with me (and, yes, I had, months ago), the same Adventurista called me back to say that the survey had already been sent to me before I called them. He read out the email address of record to me, and the email address was wrong by one letter.

So now I should receive a survey when they send out the next bundle, maybe on Friday or Saturday. We'll see. It happens. If I don't receive an official survey this weekend, I'll just make up one and send it to them myself. ;-)

Just FYI...the feedback consent form is not included in the 2014 paperwork. It's still on the list of items included in the packet, but the actual form is missing. I called to make sure it wasn't a mistake and was told that ABD has eliminated it and will send the survey to every guest (or family).

Question on packing for Viva. Are any of the nights more "semi-formal" in nature? As in, can an adult man wear nice shorts, sandals and a short-sleeve polo shirt every night, or are dress/khaki pants, nice shoes etc needed? Trying to pack light and not including dress shoes for my big feet would help a lot.....

Question on packing for Viva. Are any of the nights more "semi-formal" in nature? As in, can an adult man wear nice shorts, sandals and a short-sleeve polo shirt every night, or are dress/khaki pants, nice shoes etc needed? Trying to pack light and not including dress shoes for my big feet would help a lot.....

Yes, I think nice shorts, sandals, and polo is acceptable. Some men were a bit more dressy with pants, button up shirt, and dress shoes. There are 4 nights/days where a dressier outfit is good: Welcome dinner, Vatican visit (shorts must be over the knees), Tuscany BBQ dinner, and Farewell dinner.

I packed very light and only had carry ons. But with all the souvenirs we purchased, we ended up checking in bags on the way back to the US. In addition, the Venice airport is very strict on carryon size and weight. They will weigh and measure all carry on. We ended up checking most carry on in Venice back to the US. If I had to do it all over again, I would pack the largest suitcase I had and check it in. You never have to carry your own bags anyway during the trip because ABD does all the work.

Have fun!

We have done this Adventure 3 times and I have never packed dress shoes.

I have found that black or brown tennis shoes / sneakers / sport shoes worked a bit better than something white or brightly colored. Sandals are fine as well.

A pair of khakis is absolutely appropriate, as none of the events are "dressy". Casual is just fine.

The only exception I can think of would be if you decided to go to an upscale restaurant on your own. Then I would suggest appropriate attire.

:p
We have done this Adventure 3 times and I have never packed dress shoes.

I have found that black or brown tennis shoes / sneakers / sport shoes worked a bit better than something white or brightly colored. Sandals are fine as well.

A pair of khakis is absolutely appropriate, as none of the events are "dressy". Casual is just fine.

The only exception I can think of would be if you decided to go to an upscale restaurant on your own. Then I would suggest appropriate attire.

We just went in May with Dusty and Marco B and I agree with Kevin absolutely! Have a fanastic trip! When do you leave?

Hi all, can any travelers weigh in on luggage strategies? My wife and I are booked for the mid-September Italy trip and I am trying to figure out the best approach. I had been thinking that we would each pack super efficiently into separate 20" carryons and travel very light. But obviously that means finding a way to either ship souvenirs back or bringing an extra soft bag that can be used and checked on the return leg.

Are we better off bringing one large bag and checking it, and then two smaller carryons (backpack sized for example)? How have past travelers balanced the desire to be lean and efficient versus the desire for more space and more stuff?

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Hi all, can any travelers weigh in on luggage strategies? My wife and I are booked for the mid-September Italy trip and I am trying to figure out the best approach. I had been thinking that we would each pack super efficiently into separate 20" carryons and travel very light. But obviously that means finding a way to either ship souvenirs back or bringing an extra soft bag that can be used and checked on the return leg.

Are we better off bringing one large bag and checking it, and then two smaller carryons (backpack sized for example)? How have past travelers balanced the desire to be lean and efficient versus the desire for more space and more stuff?

Thanks for any help!

Rich

As I have said in my previous post, we packed very light and only had a rolling carry on with a personal item purse or backpack for each person. With all the souvenirs we bought, we gained an extra luggage...at this point we thought we only had to check in one bag having maxed out our allowed carry on limit...until we got to the Venice airport. The Venice airport was very strict on carry on size and weight that they weighed and measured all our carry on. They took all our carry ons and check them in Venice back to the US. ABD will give you a duffle bag per room which we used as a carry on for the souvenirs. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would pack the largest suitcase I had and check it in. I might even bring the 2 you are allowed and pack it loose with the intent of filling it in. You never have to carry your own bags anyway during the trip because ABD does all the work. In terms of souvenirs, you can expect that in Venice, you will have to hand carry your masks, which are large. This itself took a whole duffle bag. Most people also bought items at the Vatican and pottery from Orvieto. However, you can ship larger items too.

A large number of the vendors will and do ship items to the U.S. via FedEx and UPS. We had items shipped in the past and everything went perfectly.

Hello! My sister and I just surprised my dad by telling him next year for his 60th birthday we are going to take him on the ABD Italy trip. We decided to tell him now so he could help in the planning and deciding of dates and such. Like I said we will not be going until next year, probably Mary or June. We are VERY excited to go. My sister and I have been talking about this for several months now and have kept it a secret the whole time, it was hard to do but we did it! We had the whole day planned out how to tell him, with hints throughout the day.

Hello! My sister and I just surprised my dad by telling him next year for his 60th birthday we are going to take him on the ABD Italy trip. We decided to tell him now so he could help in the planning and deciding of dates and such. Like I said we will not be going until next year, probably Mary or June. We are VERY excited to go. My sister and I have been talking about this for several months now and have kept it a secret the whole time, it was hard to do but we did it! We had the whole day planned out how to tell him, with hints throughout the day.

WOW!!! What nice kids.......and one "spoiled" Dad.......:)

What an excellent way to celebrate! Good for you two! :) It's a great trip!

Sayhello

We just went in May...Cooler weather then! Just a thought!
You're going to LOVE it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter