It’s a...WDWKOOK LIVE TRIP of FIRSTS! TRIP SUMMARY PAGE 17!

Good report. One thing I've learned from your experiences is to never pay for a CL upgrade- would be nice to get one as a freebie though.

Do you think that you would ever stay club level at the Grand again?

Short answer: No.

I'm really reluctant to ever book a CL stay again. Missing from my CL list are AKL, Poly and BC, but I think they're going to remain MIA.

Like I mentioned earlier here, booking CL at WL was a wonderful experience for four great years, but it's not quite the same CL anymore. Other CLs I've tried over the years haven't even come close to how WL used to be. Booking CL (especially at WL) sets the expectations too high for me and they are often unmet. Some of the little details are missing or being removed and I've seen way too many instances of "guests behaving badly" which can make for unpleasant lounge visits. There's a big lack of CL consistency with WDW Resorts and variances even within the same resorts' CLs.

Not to be entirely negative, I really like the ease of getting breakfast and beverages and relaxing in the lounge enjoying the view, when that's possible. I also like having a better idea of where my room will be located, which is usually a top floor, which I prefer. But, it's really hard to justify it based on that and knowing I'll probably end up regretting it. That was the long answer:blush:

Thank you, KOOK, for such a thorough and enjoyable TR! This was a very tiring week at school, (I have some very challenging kiddos this year), but I made time for your TR as often as I could. (I have fallen far behind on my other threads!)
I loved your photos! Thank you for taking the time to post them and for making time to multi-quote as well. I am glad you got to experience so many rides at MK with low wait times. When I add up our Must Do's for every trip I've planned, we always end up with having to schedule the most time at MK.
I have never been tempted by CL, mostly because of the cost. Now that we have experienced the space of a villa, I am not sure we will ever try CL. I know you and several lodgers were big fans and I am kind of sorry I missed the golden years of WL CL. As for everything that changes or even lowers in quality at WDW, I agree with what you said about having our memories of it and moving on. I still miss the old Image Works at JIYI, but at least we have our family videos! There is always something that pulls me back, and I truly hope that never changes. I hope you came away from your trip feeling the same way, as I know you were not happy with the cost-cutting that's been going on.
Thanks again!! Hope DD is enjoying school!

I hope the school year is getting better and the kids are more used to the new routine by now. Thank you for all you positive comments and following along. You're so right that something always pulls you back, even if it's just nostalgia and absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Thanks again for TR and hope reality is being kind to you.
Also thanks for comments on Pecos Bill. PB and CHH have always been my favorites and glad to her they are still a thumbs up!
CuteAsMinnie says she has created a monster now...
We were in the Smokies in July at our normal place. She needs to send you info as it is fantastic if you ever plan to go. Warning: it is so popular it is booking almost a year in advance now.

Your cuter half did send me some Smokies info. a while back. There are so many amazing cabins there and oh, those views! But, you're going to have a wonderful time at Poly. My favorite longhouse is Fiji, 3rd floor, facing GF. I've posted the photo of that view to the WL thread and I think you guys would like it. It's a Garden View with just the beach, lagoon and GF - perfect.

Thank you so much for the very detailed report. It was great reading all your updates.

I was always feeling a little disappointed at not staying CL anymore since purchasing our DVC contracts, but this has me feeling perfectly fine with that decision.

Might have to sneak in on that great sweet spot next trip, we used to travel during that time as my son's birthday is during that week. I forgot how nice it was.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Don't feel bad! Skipping CL can actually be a stress reliever and it can add more spontaneity to your trip - and just think of the savings;)

Yes @WDWKOOK I made it home day after you. See above pictures of squirrel/tree with an occasional tree frog view that was very relaxing. I would definitely stay at WL again. This was my first. And I know what you mean about getting readjusted to reality.

Thanks for your woodsy photos. The tree frogs were always on our sliding glass door and it was so cute seeing their little suction cups.

When might you return and will you stay again at WL?

Thanks for doing this live trip report. It was exciting to follow along with you on your daily adventures.

Funny you say that you and dh will be taking a trip just the two of you. Dh and I just did that last month for the first time since our first dd was born. We were there mainly to look and research new home communities in central Florida...did a lot of driving and it was exciting to see more of Florida...but we also got to relax together and do disney springs, have pool time, and we even went resort hopping since we had the rental. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks again and happy planning for future trips. That's always fun too.

How exciting that you were shopping for a new home! Did you get it narrowed down? Sounds like you don't want to be on the coast? I bet it felt strange being without DD, but you got used to it pretty quickly:)

I really enjoyed your report and your wrap-up/ summary, very informative! I have never stayed CL but did stay in a regular Garden view room at GF this August in Conch Key and loved our room and location. Our room was very quiet and comfortable. I have heard from various reports on here that people have been sad to see the CL experience going down some from the past. Glad you enjoyed your solo trip!

Thank you!

Any change where you go often can really degrade the experience. Maybe I've just been going too long, 20 years ago was our first onsite stay. I know I should always look for the positives, but I also see the negatives and there have unfortunately been more each visit.

Conch is a great location and do you think you'll stay there next visit?

I enjoyed following your report (even though I got behind!)!!

I'm always considering a solo trip, so this was great to read!

I'm glad you're considering it and I do recommend it!

I enjoyed your trip report and unfortunately agree that the CL experience that I loved really is just a memory and very unlikely to return. I also liked that I am not the only one willing to move rooms over noise. Sometimes I feel like the CM's think I am crazy for moving over a noise issue.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I've gotten that same look from some CMs, most recently the CR front desk CM who acted like he didn't even want to get a manager for me to talk to. I think they must think they're in trouble. I always make it easy for them since I already have a solution to my problem and they just need to implement it;)

:)

Hope you and DH have a great trip! :wizard:

Thank you. Someone asked me what I was doing this weekend and when I told them how this will be our first trip away from home without DD, they thought DD must be a little toddler - not 17!

Good report. One thing I've learned from your experiences is to never pay for a CL upgrade- would be nice to get one as a freebie though.

Free always changes how you look at everything:)

I can't agree with you more about just how phenomenal CL was at WL. We stayed CL with DD and DS for our trips in 2007, 2010 and 2013 and it exceeded our expectations every time. In fact I will say it was magical! So good that we would actually plan out days events to insure we were always there for the evening appetizers and oooooohhh the wonderful desserts (cobbler!!!).
The cast members were friends, most guests were respectful of the shared experience that was OFC and the club room itself was perfect. Enough said.

Thanks for your woodsy photos. The tree frogs were always on our sliding glass door and it was so cute seeing their little suction cups.

When might you return and will you stay again at WL?

:)

Well this was my second trip ever to wdw. My first visit I stayed at POR in January, which I liked but I didn't pay for the trip. This was my first trip that I planned so I stayed where I wanted. I would definitely stay at WL again. I tried to visit more hotels this trip to see where else I might be interested. I did not go to AKL but I think I might try there. I have DVC for SSR but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Wdw still has Mickey and he isn't as hidden as DL (StarMarvelLand), so I am planning a trip again for two years from now. I think I would like to try MNSSHP and stay long enough to go to the holiday party in nov. plus I would like to see how universal Florida does Harry Potter world. Florida just takes longer to get to when you live on the west coast.

Thank you. Someone asked me what I was doing this weekend and when I told them how this will be our first trip away from home without DD, they thought DD must be a little toddler - not 17!

It's funny how people automatically think it's a young child when they hear that ;).

Kook got a question for you. We are planning a trip Memorial Day Weekend to WDW. Our daughter's HS marching band will be in a parade at the MK and she will be staying with her tour group. I am thinking of doing club level at the WL me and the wife. We normally have two small meals per day and one normal meal. Is it worth getting a dining plan for us if there is food provided? I am thinking one out of pocket meal per day.

Kook, I just loved your TR! Your honesty, details, and articulate descriptions make the "read" so fun and interesting!
Do it again!! And take us along...

Please excuse the reply delay, I was on vacation, this time with DH:)

Kook got a question for you. We are planning a trip Memorial Day Weekend to WDW. Our daughter's HS marching band will be in a parade at the MK and she will be staying with her tour group. I am thinking of doing club level at the WL me and the wife. We normally have two small meals per day and one normal meal. Is it worth getting a dining plan for us if there is food provided? I am thinking one out of pocket meal per day.

@yaksack, I will tell you that we have never been fans of the DDP. We've tried it maybe two times way back in the good ol' days when the tip was included, which was certainly a better deal, but for us, it's more advantageous to pay OOP, even if we weren't doing CL. It's also more advantageous to instead use TiW if you have an AP. If not, OOP is the way to go so that you're only purchasing what you truly want to eat and not "paying" for stuff you don't want to eat with every single TS or snack credit.

When we stay CL, we like to eat breakfast in the lounge, have our biggest meal late afternoon, then return between 5-7 for appetizers and then cobbler. Sometimes, someone might want a snack between breakfast and late lunch, but generally, one big meal is plenty with CL. If you aren't going to be there between 5-7, then you would probably need a light lunch/snack and an early dinner. The DDP doesn't really save you any money because you may be getting items included (that you've paid for) that you wouldn't pay OOP for. And, if you're getting it for "free" and staying in a Deluxe, you'll save more money if you use a percentage off room promotion instead.

The last time I broke it down and compared it with what we would have realistically actually purchased daily OOP, I think the DDP, at that time, would have only saved us the price equivalent of one snack per person, per day. But again, it forces you into a consumption pattern that you may not like after a day or two and isn't really necessary if you're utilizing the lounge.

Kook, I just loved your TR! Your honesty, details, and articulate descriptions make the "read" so fun and interesting!
Do it again!! And take us along...

Oh, thank you so much for your sweet comment, @grannyminnie. As it turned out, you didn't miss a thing at that AllEars Meet:rolleyes2

Please excuse the reply delay, I was on vacation, this time with DH:)

@yaksack, I will tell you that we have never been fans of the DDP. We've tried it maybe two times way back in the good ol' days when the tip was included, which was certainly a better deal, but for us, it's more advantageous to pay OOP, even if we weren't doing CL. It's also more advantageous to instead use TiW if you have an AP. If not, OOP is the way to go so that you're only purchasing what you truly want to eat and not "paying" for stuff you don't want to eat with every single TS or snack credit.

When we stay CL, we like to eat breakfast in the lounge, have our biggest meal late afternoon, then return between 5-7 for appetizers and then cobbler. Sometimes, someone might want a snack between breakfast and late lunch, but generally, one big meal is plenty with CL. If you aren't going to be there between 5-7, then you would probably need a light lunch/snack and an early dinner. The DDP doesn't really save you any money because you may be getting items included (that you've paid for) that you wouldn't pay OOP for. And, if you're getting it for "free" and staying in a Deluxe, you'll save more money if you use a percentage off room promotion instead.

The last time I broke it down and compared it with what we would have realistically actually purchased daily OOP, I think the DDP, at that time, would have only saved us the price equivalent of one snack per person, per day. But again, it forces you into a consumption pattern that you may not like after a day or two and isn't really necessary if you're utilizing the lounge.

Oh, thank you so much for your sweet comment, @grannyminnie. As it turned out, you didn't miss a thing at that AllEars Meet:rolleyes2
Yeah, so you said. We were actually in MK that day; didn't even go to Epcot this trip. That Meet sounded soooo lame. Not a "meet" at all, as a matter of fact.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I'm glad you loved the TR, @Disneytam. No WDW trips booked. How about you?
KOOK- We will be leaving for a rather unique for us Disney trip in just a week! We are staying two nights at the Swan (a first for us) and doing our first MVMCP with my niece and her brand new husband (this and The Brunch at the Top is our wedding present to them). Then we will spend 5 days at a deluxe CL room at the BWI with my sister and my other niece before heading over to PBR at Universal for 3 days. At the end of Jan. I have another 5 day trip planned with my son at the Poly CL (a first for me). I blame it all on the darn AP, mine runs out at the end of Feb. and hubby and I don't know if we will be renewing or not so I want to get good use of it now. Thank you so much for all your past trip reports, we have really loved reading them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter