It’s a “Wonder” I survived Trip Report: Day 1 - DHS, ESPN & “Dude, where’s my car?"

Pinky166

<font color=deeppink>a little on the OCD side<br><
The cast:
Me – Disney obsessed, Shopaholic & extremely clumsy (more on that later).
Lee (DH) – aka the Mad Hatter….you’ll soon see why. :rolleyes:

8th September 2009 = Day 1

I woke about up about 4am….don’t you just hate that! As I lay in bed slowly waking up it dawned on me at how much pain I was in, my left ankle and knee were very sore and my right elbow and shoulder ached, I couldn’t straighten my arm – I guess I jarred them when I put my hands out to break my fall. :headache:

Lee woke soon after and we just watched tv in bed for a while, I dozed off again for about half hour. When I woke again I rolled over to see Lee standing on the other bed he then proceeded to do his best impression of me doing the worm! It was so funny I was crying with laughter. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We got showered and ready then headed to the bus stop about 8.30, we didn’t have to wait long for the Hollywood Studios bus. :thumbsup2

The main entrance at OKW...

P1050765.jpg

We got in to the park around 9.15am, Lee ran off to grab some Toy Story Mania fastpasses whilst I slowly walked up taking a few photos along the way……

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Lee came back with the FP’s for between 11.15 and 12.15. :thumbsup2 We were a little hungry so stopped off at Starring Rolls and got a very yummy Cinnamon Roll and bottle of water to share.

IMG_0198.jpg

We walked down to Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror both were showing 25 minute wait times, due to my aches and pains I decided to opt out for today and Lee couldn’t be bothered to wait on his own so I snapped a few pics.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

We looked in the shops…..it was so hot today, mid 90’s and very humid and was very nice to be in the air conditioned shops for a while, I bought a Tinkerbell jumper and some pins – which I had sent to the resort, I love this service and have used it many many times! We decided to go and see American Idol as we skipped this in December, so we went in to the 11am show. It was ok, the judges were very cheesey.

IMG_0208.jpg

When we came out we walked over to Toy Story Mania and used our Fastpasses. I love this ride, it is so much fun….I could stay on it all day long. (The TSM Wii game was waiting on our doormat when we got home, it’s great fun! :banana:) Lee won as always, he scored 161,200 compared to my pathetic 96,900.

IMG_0217.jpg

As we walked past they were just starting the Jedi training academy, we haven’t seen this before so we stopped to watch for a while….I loved the little kids faces they were getting so in to it. :lovestruc

IMG_0247.jpg

Lee was hungry and fancied trying a turkey leg so we walked back down Sunset Boulevard.

IMG_0219.jpg

Yuck!!!! I tried a little bit but didn’t like it, it was very salty and fatty, Lee threw most of it away.

Cont'd below....

We headed over to watch Indiana Jones grabbing a blue raspberry slushie on the way. It cooled us down a little – it was so hot hot hot today! Indie was great as always.

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

After the show we popped into the little Christmas shop…..you’ll be shocked to hear that I never bought anything! :faint: Don’t worry I was just saving myself for the big Christmas one at DTD. ;) We then decided to leave the park as it was so hot and my ankle was hurting.....my prickly heat rash was also starting to make an appearance. :headache: We left the park and got the boat over to the Boardwalk then decided to try ESPN for some lunch. Lee had a half rack of ribs and fries, I had the angus chuck bacon cheeseburger with fries.

For dessert Lee had lemon meringue pie……

P1050771.jpg

I had rocky road cake….

P1050772.jpg

Both mains were ok but I didn’t like my dessert, the sponge was very dry. We used 1 x table service credit each + tip.

Afterwards we walked over to the Dolphin….stopping in the shops on the Boardwalk along the way, I bought a few things :teeth: I can’t remember what but I will post some pics of some of the stuff I bought in a later thread. We were due to pick the rental car up from the Alamo desk in the Dolphin at 4pm (booked through USrentacar), we arrived at 4.10pm and there was no one there? :confused: I found someone at another desk nearby, I think it was a Disney tour desk and she told me that they close at 4pm!!!! I was so mad as we were not informed when we booked the car online, if I knew I wouldn't have been late. Anyway the woman suggested I call the car care centre and kindly called the number for me on the hotel phone. I explained to them what had happened and they said we could go over there and collect our car, I refused to pay for a taxi so they agreed to come and collect us at 5pm. :thumbsup2

We sat in the hotel lobby until they collected us. Whilst we were sorting out the paperwork the heavens opened and it absolutely chucked it down. We were given the keys and our car was pretty much in the furthest bay possible :rolleyes: we waited for about 5 minutes but the rain wasn’t letting up so I hobbled across the car park to find our heap of…..car. We were drenched through.

IMG_0316.jpg

I am being slighty mean with that comment, the car was ok just not what I was expecting but I couldn’t remember exactly what I had booked. Looking at the paperwork later on in the week I had paid for a Intermediate Sports Utility A/C - Chevrolet Equinox or Similar. Anyway I couldn’t be bothered to call up and query it so just made do.

I drove back to OKW to rest up for a while and wait for the rain to stop. We watched tv for an hour or so then headed off to Publix to stock up on the essentials….wine, cherry coke, water, salt & vinegar lays, chips ahoy cookies, krispy kremes to name a few. We had a trolley full, I can’t remember everything but we had loads. I must admit it was very handy parking right outside our room with all the shopping.

We unpacked, stocked the fridge then relaxed watching tv, I think I fell asleep about 10pm.

Coming soon – Day 2: Epcot, Chefs de France, Magic Kingdom and a surprise for Lee….

What a mix-up with the car hire!!! :mad: I usually pick up from the Dolphin and have been always been informed that the office there closes at 4pm... :sad2:

BTW that's also my preferred car category (I like to drive something high up) and it is quite variable. This time we had a Dodge Nitro which actually was a smallish SUV but have had a Chevrolet Equinox, a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Toyota Sienna in the past...

Lovely photos as usual - I really love the Indy ones... :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hope your injuries from your fall don't continue to affect your trip too much, hun!!! :hug:

Meant to say that turkey legs are one of the mysteries of WDW as far as we're concerned - they just seem to beg the question "WHY???!!!???" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

A great day with lovely photos too :thumbsup2

That Rocky Road Cake looks delish, shame it was dry though :(

I'm another one who can't figure out the turkey legs :confused3 they even smell disgusting

I hope your injuries are feeling better the next day, and I look forward to your next installment ::yes::

I'm not even sure what a turkey leg is :lmao:

Hope your ankle improved over the course of the trip :hug:

Hope your injuries don't affect the holiday :hug:

Some wonderful photographs today :goodvibes

Have to agree with others turkey legs just looked plain greedy :confused3

Thanks for reading guys. :thumbsup2

What a mix-up with the car hire!!! :mad: I usually pick up from the Dolphin and have been always been informed that the office there closes at 4pm... :sad2:

BTW that's also my preferred car category (I like to drive something high up) and it is quite variable. This time we had a Dodge Nitro which actually was a smallish SUV but have had a Chevrolet Equinox, a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Toyota Sienna in the past...

Lovely photos as usual - I really love the Indy ones... :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hope your injuries from your fall don't continue to affect your trip too much, hun!!! :hug:

Meant to say that turkey legs are one of the mysteries of WDW as far as we're concerned - they just seem to beg the question "WHY???!!!???" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was really annoyed that I wasn't notified they close at 4pm. I remember when I booking it that I could select anytime, if I had selected 5pm I wonder if it would have told me then? :confused3

A great day with lovely photos too :thumbsup2

That Rocky Road Cake looks delish, shame it was dry though :(

I'm another one who can't figure out the turkey legs :confused3 they even smell disgusting

I hope your injuries are feeling better the next day, and I look forward to your next installment ::yes::

I agree Mandy the cake looks yummy in the piccie. Never mind we ate lots of scrummy food during the trip.

Hopefully i'll have the next day up tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Hope your injuries don't affect the holiday :hug:

Some wonderful photographs today :goodvibes

Have to agree with others turkey legs just looked plain greedy :confused3

Thanks Reid.

I was curious about the turkey legs as I had read so much love/hate comments on here, I knew I wouldn't like it but thought Lee would so he decided to give it a try.....never again!

I must remember that about the car hire place. I must also remember to book it at some point.

Great first day Claire - and well done for staying on your feet all day :lmao:

I am also in the 'don't understand the turkey legs' club - even more so after hearing what you had to say about them!

I forgot how amazing your pictures always are - can't wait to see more :banana:

Your dessert at ESPN looks and sounds amazing - shame it doesnt live up to the hype

"wine, cherry coke, water, salt & vinegar lays, chips ahoy cookies, krispy kremes to name a few"

Thats my kind of essentials!!! :rotfl2: You just missed out the peanut butter m&ms and the mountain dew!

Great photo's they just make me want to be there.

How stupid having AI at WDW.:confused3

Im in the minority it seems, I love the Turkey legs, I thought they had stopped doing them though:lmao: Great day at HS, apart from the mix up with the car:goodvibes

Thank you all for taking the time to read & reply to my trippie. :hug: :)

Great first day Claire - and well done for staying on your feet all day :lmao:

I am also in the 'don't understand the turkey legs' club - even more so after hearing what you had to say about them!

I forgot how amazing your pictures always are - can't wait to see more :banana:

Your dessert at ESPN looks and sounds amazing - shame it doesnt live up to the hype

"wine, cherry coke, water, salt & vinegar lays, chips ahoy cookies, krispy kremes to name a few"

Thats my kind of essentials!!! :rotfl2: You just missed out the peanut butter m&ms and the mountain dew!

:lmao: I did well didn't I? Will it last though?

Thanks for the lovely comment about our photos...I can't take all the credit as Lee takes lots too. :)

Believe it or not I have never tried Mountain dew! :scared1: I mean't to try some this trip but forgot. I did buy some Reece's peanut butter cups and some Lucky Charms but didn't like either of them. Don't flame me! :guilty:

Great photo's they just make me want to be there.

How stupid having AI at WDW.:confused3

Thanks Claire, I wish we were back there too....

I don't get the AI thing either, what happens if no one wants to take part? :confused3

It's the smell that gets me. How can anyone eat anything that smells so foul? :confused3

I agree, they smell disgusting.

Im in the minority it seems, I love the Turkey legs, I thought they had stopped doing them though:lmao: Great day at HS, apart from the mix up with the car:goodvibes

Sorry Sue but I think you are. :laughing:

Sorry to hear about your injuries - they sounded painful!

Here's another vote for disliking turkey legs - tried them once - never again! Made me think my name was Wilma Flintsone whilst I was eating it! :rotfl2:

Ouch your injuries sounded painful but pleased you were able to get about and have a good day. Some fantastic photos. My hubbie tried a turkey leg on our first visit and never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter