ISO unique housewarming gift...any creative ideas?

Shea&Van

&Waves
Hi everyone,

I've always seen such great gift ideas on this board and I'm hoping you'll give me some options.

Here's the deal: My best work buddy (who has been my better-half in the office for over six years) recently purchased her first home ever with her long-term boyfriend (they've been together for 7 or 8 years). They are mid-30s and have no plans to marry or have children. They adore their life as it is.

I really want to gift them something special for this milestone. I've looked on etsy and many of the things I like have "The Smiths" or "The Jones Family" or something similar. This wouldn't be appropriate for them as they do not share the same last name.

They have shared a home (condo) for at least the past three years so they are set as far as housewares go (pot/pans, towels, sheets, furniture, etc.).

I have asked her if there is anything she needed and she says "no." I'm really at a loss for what to purchase her. I don't want to appear like a lazy gift giver who sends a card with a gift certificate for Bed Bath and Beyond.

Any ideas? They are such a wonderful couple and I couldn't imagine my life without her. She's such a doll both at work and outside work. I have to think of something!

Thanks so much for any insight you have to share!

When I sold Real Estate I always gave my buyers a gift. I usually always went with a plant of some type for outside. An azalea, hibiscus or some other pretty flowing plant. That way it grew with them as they built their life together in their new home.

I agree that a plant is a good gift. If they have a yard, something that they can plant there might be a great idea. Otherwise an indoor plant always works.

DH and I got a Ficus tree before we married. We had that tree for 25 years.

I agree that a plant is a good gift. If they have a yard, something that they can plant there might be a great idea. Otherwise an indoor plant always works.

DH and I got a Ficus tree before we married. We had that tree for 25 years.

My husband and I bought a little Ming tree on our second date. It was maybe 6" tall. It's going on 33 years now. :lovestruc

Reactions: HM

What about something like this.....appropriate for where ever they live of course....
14131-31750.jpg

I was trying to think of something for a gift as well, and I thought I would make them a nice dinner to enjoy in their home.

If they drink wine at all, I have seen these hollow letters that you can hang on the wall and then fill with wine corks. My friends got an "R" for a housewarming gift (their last name starts with an R) and we have all had a fun time trying to fill it up with corks :upsidedow

I like the idea of a plant or ornamental tree for the yard.

One of the best housewarming gifts we got when we moved in was a basic home repair book from Home Depot. It's called something like "Home Repair 1-2-3" and has great step by step illustrations of how to do all sorts of home repair and home improvement projects. It has been VERY useful many times throughout the years when we needed to know how to fix that running toilet, how to change a light fixture, etc. We still use it regularly.

Because I'm of the practical mind, I'd go with something like Scrapquilters suggestion. Or (which I've done before - also as a wedding gift) a smoke alarm, carbon monoxide detector and/or fire extinguisher. Something people often don't think of (or at least enough of to have everywhere that you should). Or a basic tool kit (if they've been in a condo, they may not have had to do their own repairs).

Op, I would do super practical that they wouldn't get themselves, a tree sapling to watch grow or something personalized that omits the last names. All mentioned above of course.

If you have a Things Remembered by you, they sell door knockers that you can engrave their names on.
Someone gave this to us for our first home and we loved it!!:goodvibes

A small aloe vera plant for the kitchen window. You can put it in a pretty pot.

A beautiful piece of stained glass to hang in a window...not a suncatcher but a nice sized panel.

I would strongly suggest to not buy any furnishing for someone's home. I've been given many gifts that I go straight into the closet or thrown out. I do not want anyone giving me a picture, knick knack, or the like to hang on my wall or in my window or display anywhere. My sister constantly gives me framed photos of her children, pictures for my walls, and other household items that do not mesh with my tastes. She's wasting her money but refuses to give me a gift card so I can buy something I will actually use.

I would suggest a high end set of knives or even one knife if you refuse to give a gift card. A fire extinguisher, already mentioned, is also a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter