Is using to DDP credits for Spirit of Aloha a good idea?

hollypoast

Travel Planner Specializing in Disney
I'm sure someone has done the math on this. It will be for one adult and one child. When I do the calculation I come out even so I'm considering it. Any reason why I shouldn't? We are traveling in 2017 so will have the extra snack credit to use.
TIA:flower:

Using the Deluxe plan or the regular? With the regular plan, you would have to forego a table service meal another day to make up the amount of credits the show will cost.

The regular dining plan for 2016 is $63.70/night. That's 1 snack (average: $5), 1 QS meal (average: $18) and 1 TS meal (average: $37). Throw the other $3.70 towards the mug to get your $63.70. Child plan costs $22.85/night. Snack is $5, QS and TS both end up around $8.

So to be "worth it," you need the total cost for 1 adult+1 child to be more than $90. Current SOA pricing is $72/43 for category 2 seating, and $64/$38 for category 3 seating. Obviously, stellar deal on the child side. On the adult side, it's about break-even. Together, the savings on the child make it a good deal when booking both if you don't have any more expensive TS meals you want to spend that adult credit on.

The regular dining plan for 2016 is $63.70/night. That's 1 snack (average: $5), 1 QS meal (average: $18) and 1 TS meal (average: $37). Throw the other $3.70 towards the mug to get your $63.70. Child plan costs $22.85/night. Snack is $5, QS and TS both end up around $8.

So to be "worth it," you need the total cost for 1 adult+1 child to be more than $90. Current SOA pricing is $72/43 for category 2 seating, and $64/$38 for category 3 seating. Obviously, stellar deal on the child side. On the adult side, it's about break-even. Together, the savings on the child make it a good deal when booking both if you don't have any more expensive TS meals you want to spend that adult credit on.

Thanks! That was what I was thinking, just needed someone to confirm my numbers.

Hi I am doing the diner show on the dining plan so looking forward to it. Just want to ask. Have you taken into account the meal that you now have to pay for? Lets say you planned Boma and 1900 Park Fare then decide to scrap those and do Spirit of Aloha and say a counter service that you will now pay out of pocket for or of course maybe keep Boma and pay out of pocket for that.

Hi I am doing the diner show on the dining plan so looking forward to it. Just want to ask. Have you taken into account the meal that you now have to pay for? Lets say you planned Boma and 1900 Park Fare then decide to scrap those and do Spirit of Aloha and say a counter service that you will now pay out of pocket for or of course maybe keep Boma and pay out of pocket for that.

SOA is going to be better as a dining credit than Boma, in a big generalization. Boma is a fairly poor value on DDP for breakfast. Dinner it improves ($42).

CS will easily be cheaper to pay for OOP, because even if you do a CS just like DDP would have you do (entree+drink+dessert), it's easy to find a $15-18 CS meal.

Have you taken into account the meal that you now have to pay for?

It really doesn't make any difference. The monetary value of the credit doesn't change. OP just needs to figure if the cost of two separate meals is more or less than the signature.

Thanks! That was what I was thinking, just needed someone to confirm my numbers.

You were right. I always just add the total cost and compare it to the value of the cedits on the DDP.

It really doesn't make any difference. The monetary value of the credit doesn't change. OP just needs to figure if the cost of two separate meals is more or less than the signature.

Exactly.

Me and my DW are doing the DDP for the first time on our next trip and will be using credits on SoA, even though we will have a budget, because we want to see it. If we are going to be $10-20 or 30 out of pocket so be it. Surely the experience of seeing it (if you havent seen it before) is the point of going there and not saving a handful of dollars. Just my opinion.

Me and my DW are doing the DDP for the first time on our next trip and will be using credits on SoA, even though we will have a budget, because we want to see it. If we are going to be $10-20 or 30 out of pocket so be it. Surely the experience of seeing it (if you havent seen it before) is the point of going there and not saving a handful of dollars. Just my opinion.
if you're crunching numbers don't forget you don't have to leave gratuity on the dinner shows, so that's around $7/adult/dining credit if you went somewhere else for dinner that you now don't have to pay oop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter