Is this true?

princessap

DIS Veteran
I was told by a CM that if I book a package next week and room only discounts come out that It will still mean I have that room at that resort held for me? I know they aren't the same booking packages and room only and I would have to pay again but she said it would ensure I have a room at the resort I want.

Is that true?

From what I understand you can switch from one to the other within the same resort if there are any rooms available at the new discount. Disney allocates a certain amount of rooms per resort based on how many rooms are not already booked at that resort. So, if you book at the Wilderness Lodge and that resort is 90% booked and Riverside is only 30% booked chances are there will be a special including Riverside but not Wilderness. So not really a guarantee.

By booking a room now, it will ensure that you have a room at that resort. BUT..it definitely does not ensure that you will have a room at that resort WITH the discount.
If there are no rooms available at that particular resort or even room type, with that discount, regardless of when you booked it, then all you have is the room at the resort.

By booking a room now, it will ensure that you have a room at that resort. BUT..it definitely does not ensure that you will have a room at that resort WITH the discount.
If there are no rooms available at that particular resort or even room type, with that discount, regardless of when you booked it, then all you have is the room at the resort.

This. I had booked standard room at POR prior to discount. When discounts came out, there was no availability within the standard rooms. I had to upgrade or change resorts. I upgraded to garden view.

I was told by a CM that if I book a package next week and room only discounts come out that It will still mean I have that room at that resort held for me? I know they aren't the same booking packages and room only and I would have to pay again but she said it would ensure I have a room at the resort I want.

Is that true?

Yes, what she is saying is true - if you book a room next week and room-only discounts come out, you will still have your room because you have a reservation - it doesn't necessarily mean you will automatically be eligible for a discount. I don't think she answered what I think your question is. If a room-only discount comes out, only certain resorts/room categories and certain numbers of those rooms are placed in the discount inventory. There is no guarantee the resort/room category you book next week will be included in that inventory. If it IS, you need to jump on it fast because those rooms could go very quickly. In other words, book the room you want, but don't assume it will qualify for any type of discount. Once the discounts come out, I would call Disney immediately and see if your booked resort/room category is in the discount inventory. If it is, you will get the discount. If it's not, you may want to think about changing resorts or room categories to take advantage of the discount.

Sorry maybe my question wasnt clear.

If I book a package next week and then room only discounts are better and I want to switch I know I have to rebook, but because I have a room booked does it mean my room is there even if I switch to room only ?

Understand?

If you manage to book the better room only discount, you will need to cancel the package that you booked. Or you will have 2 different types of reservations for the same dates.

If I book a package next week and then room only discounts are better and I want to switch I know I have to rebook, but because I have a room booked does it mean my room is there even if I switch to room only ?

Understand?

So let's assume you book a package next week then call back when the RO discounts come out....

Basically when you call the CM will check to see if there are any RO discounts available for what you want. In order to get a RO discounts you may have to change room type (standard to garden view) or you may need to change resorts (often AS Movies and POFQ have lower % room only discounts than other similar resorts like AS Music and POR) - it's wise to know the prices / % discount you're aiming for. If there's a room open for that discount the CM will book that room and cancel your package room.

So if you book a package yes, you have a room booked but the CM will cancel that package room and book another room for your room only discount

does that help?

Understand?

Lets say for the sake of argument that you book a vacation package with a standard view room at POR for Sept 24. Next month they come out with a 25% off room only offer. You call to get the new offer. You can only get that offer if they currently have availability. They only have a certain number of rooms that can be reserved with that discount. Once that number of rooms have been booked with the discount, the discount is gone. It doesn't matter if you already have a reservation or not. You are not guaranteed to get the discount just because you already have a reservation.

If there are no more standard view rooms available with the discount, there may still be discounted garden view or water view rooms at POR. Or you might have to change resorts to CSR. If you are able to get a new reservation with the discount, then the CM will cancel your old vacation package for you.

Did that help?

Understand?

I guess I don't understand the question. If a room-only discount comes out and you re-book, you simply need to cancel out your original package so you don't end up with two rooms.

Understand?

Having a reservation in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied, so if you book now and a discount comes out later, there has to be availability at the resort you have booked in order to take advantage of the discount.

Also, just in case you weren't aware, if you book a package and a room discount comes out and the resort/room type you have booked is available under the discount, the discount can be applied to your existing package without having to cancel and rebook (provided you still wanted a package). The discount would be applied to the room portion only, but you can still get a package and take advantage of a room discount.

THIS indeed. They tell you that to get you to book, but if a discount comes, and if all the discounted rooms allotted to that resort get filled up before you get a chance to switch your reservation, you are out of luck :(

Understand?

If the discount applies to the resort and room category you booked and they still have some rooms allotted for that discount when you call, then yes you can get it. However, let's say you booked a water view at POFQ. When a room discount comes out they may or may not alot any waterview rooms at POFQ for that particular discount. Only so many rooms at each resort is allocated for the discount. If you have a room already booked, you'd still have to call early the day the discounts are released and if more people beat you to it and only a few rooms at the resort were allocated for the discount, you already having a room booked would not matter, you'd not get the discount. Once the discounted rooms are gone, they are gone.

I know we once had a standard room booked at POFQ. When the discounts came out, standard rooms at POFQ were not even included in the discounts at all. The discount offered for the other rooms at POFQ was also alot less than at the other moderates (like maybe 20% compared to 35% at the other three moderates). In order to get the 35% off, we had to change resorts or we could have gotten a waterview room at POFQ for just 20% off, but in order to keep our standard POFQ room that we had originally booked we would have lost the discount and would have had to pay rack rate (even though room discounts were available for other moderates and even the water view rooms at POFQ were available for a lesser discount). I've also had a standard room booked at CSR, but when the discounts came out had to upgrade to water view, because standard rooms were not included in the discount. I've also booked a standard room at Pop once and had to switch to AS Sports, because when the discounts came out and I got around to calling all of the rooms at Pop that had been allocated for the discount had already been booked (it was the same day the discounts came out, but the CM said those few rooms they allocated for the discount at Pop went first thing that morning, within just a few minutes and the only value resorts that still had discounted rooms was at the All Stars. If I kept my reservation at Pop it would be at rack rate).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter