Is this special, or just creepy?

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever had someone come up to you with FPs after they've all been distributed and give them to you!

Either I completely misled you, or you mistook my post. I'm not talking about the random acts of pixie dust like what you mention. Sure, I've handed out Fastpasses that we weren't going to use, after they were all distributed. (I'm not sure if I've ever received them though). That's not what I'm talking about.

There are many acts of kindness in the parks, but this one (at least to me) is treading on the idea of a park guest trying to take over what is better handled by Disney staff.

I'm referring to guest interaction that is better left to CMs. Asking someone for an autograph is personal, and can be an interesting situation if coming from a total stranger (even if it's in a magical place like WDW ;) )While I understand the good intention from the situation in this thread. As cute as this is, situations like this could get uncomfortable.

In this context it was great. Just going around and asking girls or boys for their autographs because they are all dressed up as a princess or prince isn't necessary. But hey, that's just our view on it.

Dan

I agree, your daughter was very "quick on her feet", caring, and kind to that girl. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:hug: However, I think it's best for Disney to be in control of things like this.

This might be a weird :confused3 segue, but it's like the threads here that kept popping up recently about one guests initial interaction with the toy story characters. The park guests shouted "Andy's coming!" (or something like that) and the toy story characters immediately played the part and went limp and fell to the ground like in the movies. While this was fun in one case (like with your daughter) it soon got out of control in the parks and finally was basically ignored by the toy story characters at WDW.

While your daughters actions were very sweet and super thoughtful, going around as a guest and creating Disney magic like that is best left to Disney employees in my opinion. I know I would get tired of my daughter getting asked for her autograph by random guests after BBB if it happened repeatedly.

Dan

100% disagree. There aren't many 16yr olds out there willing to give a little magic. There are millions of princesses that go to Disney waiting to be "discovered."

OP, you should be so proud of her!!

I agree, your daughter was very "quick on her feet", caring, and kind to that girl. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:hug: However, I think it's best for Disney to be in control of things like this.

This might be a weird :confused3 segue, but it's like the threads here that kept popping up recently about one guests initial interaction with the toy story characters. The park guests shouted "Andy's coming!" (or something like that) and the toy story characters immediately played the part and went limp and fell to the ground like in the movies. While this was fun in one case (like with your daughter) it soon got out of control in the parks and finally was basically ignored by the toy story characters at WDW.

While your daughters actions were very sweet and super thoughtful, going around as a guest and creating Disney magic like that is best left to Disney employees in my opinion. I know I would get tired of my daughter getting asked for her autograph by random guests after BBB if it happened repeatedly.

Dan

I appreciate your opinion, but I disagree with you too. Disney magic is not CREATED by cast members! Disney Magic is passed on by cast members. It is not exclusive to cast members.....every little princess in the park is passing on magic just by dressing up. Disney Magic is a special feeling....that you get from an action or experience, it is not exclusive to anyone to distribute! We all have it...but sometimes we have to get to WDW to realize it. Thanks for your opinion, and I hope it doesn't "catch on", and become a disruption...but then again, we are speaking of a place that has talking trash cans that follow you, and sometimes shout obnoxious comments!!! Maybe everyone will try to spread a little magic, instead of just leaving it up to the cast members.....just sayin!

I appreciate your opinion, but I disagree with you too. Disney magic is not CREATED by cast members! Disney Magic is passed on by cast members. It is not exclusive to cast members.....every little princess in the park is passing on magic just by dressing up. Disney Magic is a special feeling....that you get from an action or experience, it is not exclusive to anyone to distribute! We all have it...but sometimes we have to get to WDW to realize it. Thanks for your opinion, and I hope it doesn't "catch on", and become a disruption...but then again, we are speaking of a place that has talking trash cans that follow you, and sometimes shout obnoxious comments!!! Maybe everyone will try to spread a little magic, instead of just leaving it up to the cast members.....just sayin!

I agree with you! We can all make a little pixie dust for others down there. As an AP holder I go to WDW several times a year. Usually at least one (sometimes two of those trips are solo, as my family is not as big a Disney fan as I am:rolleyes1). Anyway on my solo trips I frequently try to make a little pixie dust for others, just because it's fun. I always volunteer to take pictures of groups so they can all be in the picture. I always give away fast passes I am not using. I was once in line at Aloha Isle getting a dole whip float, when I heard the family behind me saying their sons could get just a cone, because they could not afford the DW float. The little boy was saying he really wanted the pineapple juice in the float and could he pleeeese, pleeese have one. I felt so sorry for the dad having to tell them no. You could tell the dad really wanted to say yes, but told the wife and sons that they were running short and were really going to have to watch their money, or they weren't going to have enough to get home. He kept talking about how he wished they could and how sorry he was, but he just hadn't realized everything was going to be so expensive. When it came my turn to order, I ordered three Dole Whip floats and very quietly whispered to the CM to please give two to the boys right behind me. As I picked my float up and walked off, she handed the other two dole whip floats to them and I heard the boys ask their dad "Why did that lady do that?". I laughed, turned back around and said "I have a grandson about your age, that I'm really missing right now. So please do me a really big favor and eat that for him". I then turned back around and walked off. On another occasion, I was down their with my granddaughter. On our last day, I told her we were going to have to get rid of her balloon, as we couldn't carry it on the plane. She looked for quite awhile, before she found the perfect little girl she wanted to offer it to. I did have her ask the parents permission first. That made her day and also the day of the little girl she gave the balloon to. On another occasion, I went to WDW solo just two months after my dad had died in May 2010. My dad was known for buyng balloons and giving them away to kids. I had planned to buy a balloon down there and after keeping it for awhile was going to let it go, in memory of my dad. Instead, shortly after buying it, I saw a little girl having a melt down, with her parents looking like they were at the end of their rope dealing with her. I asked the dad if it might be alright if I offered her the balloon. At first he said, he didn't want to take the balloon away from me, but when I told him I planned to let it go anyway, in memory of my dad, he gratefully let me offer it to the little girl. Her tears immediately dried up and she gave me a huge smile. Another time I was down there with a friend. We had done the Fantasmic pkg, but then decided not to go to Fantasmic after all. As we were walking out, I told her to wait a minute. I wanted to give the Fantasmic seating vouchers to some couple coming in. The couple I finally picked were thrilled. Another time I was eating at the old Alfredos in Italy solo, when I noticed a couple wearing Mickey bride and groom ears, wearing honeymoon pins. When the waiter brought me my check, I told him I wanted to pay for that couple's meal too. He must have told them right after I paid, because as I was walking out, they gave me a shocked look. I just smiled, mouthed congratulations, and walked on out. Sometimes kids approach you. We were eating dinner at Be our Guest a few weeks ago on May 14th. At the table next to us was a really, really cute, outgoing little girl dressed as one of the princesses. As her family was finishing eating, she made rounds to all the tables closeby, including ours. She told us she was Cinderalla. I said, "Yes, Princess, I notice. You look very nice tonight in your lovely blue dress". I spoke with her, because she spoke first, but would never have taken a picture of her. Even as a very safe looking, grandmother of seven, I would never approach a kid without asking the parents first. However, at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with creating a little pixie dust for others if the opportunity just happens to fall in your lap. Making pixie dust for others usually feels better than receiving it. In the case of the little princess at Be Our Guest. Who actually made the pixie dust for others: the little princess and her parents who allowed her to interact with the other guests allowing us to become part of her fairy tale or those of us, who played along with her telling her what a lovely princess she was?

Generally you should be fine as most kids would love the attention but do be cautious as everyone is different and you always get some people that easily take offence or feel you are intruding

My daughter did the 'ask the princess for an autograph' thing on one of our trips - and she got a few shy ones who hid behind their moms. My daughter also had a stash of those shaped stretchy bracelets, and handed them out to tired, sad, cute, loveable kids.

She will be doing the college program in a year or two, but can't decide between the chemistry/bio track and the customer service track. She's really good with little kids (like a kid magnet, actually) and so might try to be the Behind the Seeds tour guide.

Dan

See - this is exactly what I was thinking...

I think what your DD did was very nice. As a mom with four princesses it might be nice to be stopped and asked once. But if this thing went VIRAL it'd really ruin touring. And I'm sure Disney would step in and eliminate...

Oxymoron question: Did the BBB girls sign the names of the princess they were dressed like? At 3-5 maybe 6, my DD would not have a clue how to spell Belle, Aurora etc.

My thoughts: I would be really concerned about my DD signing her own name and a pic to go with it would freak me out.

If we were standing in line and YOUR dd started talking to mine, that would be fine. But, just to randomly walk up....I do think I'd be a little creeped out.

Now, at the end of the day, I do think that what your DD did was very sweet. Being a "child" still herself, does make it a little less creepy. Bless her for wanting to create MAGIC:wizard:

100% disagree. There aren't many 16yr olds out there willing to give a little magic. There are millions of princesses that go to Disney waiting to be "discovered."

OP, you should be so proud of her!!

I agree with you! We can all make a little pixie dust for others down there. As an AP holder I go to WDW several times a year. Usually at least one (sometimes two of those trips are solo, as my family is not as big a Disney fan as I am:rolleyes1). Anyway on my solo trips I frequently try to make a little pixie dust for others, just because it's fun. I always volunteer to take pictures of groups so they can all be in the picture. I always give away fast passes I am not using. I was once in line at Aloha Isle getting a dole whip float, when I heard the family behind me saying their sons could get just a cone, because they could not afford the DW float. The little boy was saying he really wanted the pineapple juice in the float and could he pleeeese, pleeese have one. I felt so sorry for the dad having to tell them no. You could tell the dad really wanted to say yes, but told the wife and sons that they were running short and were really going to have to watch their money, or they weren't going to have enough to get home. He kept talking about how he wished they could and how sorry he was, but he just hadn't realized everything was going to be so expensive. When it came my turn to order, I ordered three Dole Whip floats and very quietly whispered to the CM to please give two to the boys right behind me. As I picked my float up and walked off, she handed the other two dole whip floats to them and I heard the boys ask their dad "Why did that lady do that?". I laughed, turned back around and said "I have a grandson about your age, that I'm really missing right now. So please do me a really big favor and eat that for him". I then turned back around and walked off. On another occasion, I was down their with my granddaughter. On our last day, I told her we were going to have to get rid of her balloon, as we couldn't carry it on the plane. She looked for quite awhile, before she found the perfect little girl she wanted to offer it to. I did have her ask the parents permission first. That made her day and also the day of the little girl she gave the balloon to. On another occasion, I went to WDW solo just two months after my dad had died in May 2010. My dad was known for buyng balloons and giving them away to kids. I had planned to buy a balloon down there and after keeping it for awhile was going to let it go, in memory of my dad. Instead, shortly after buying it, I saw a little girl having a melt down, with her parents looking like they were at the end of their rope dealing with her. I asked the dad if it might be alright if I offered her the balloon. At first he said, he didn't want to take the balloon away from me, but when I told him I planned to let it go anyway, in memory of my dad, he gratefully let me offer it to the little girl. Her tears immediately dried up and she gave me a huge smile. Another time I was down there with a friend. We had done the Fantasmic pkg, but then decided not to go to Fantasmic after all. As we were walking out, I told her to wait a minute. I wanted to give the Fantasmic seating vouchers to some couple coming in. The couple I finally picked were thrilled. Another time I was eating at the old Alfredos in Italy solo, when I noticed a couple wearing Mickey bride and groom ears, wearing honeymoon pins. When the waiter brought me my check, I told him I wanted to pay for that couple's meal too. He must have told them right after I paid, because as I was walking out, they gave me a shocked look. I just smiled, mouthed congratulations, and walked on out. Sometimes kids approach you. We were eating dinner at Be our Guest a few weeks ago on May 14th. At the table next to us was a really, really cute, outgoing little girl dressed as one of the princesses. As her family was finishing eating, she made rounds to all the tables closeby, including ours. She told us she was Cinderalla. I said, "Yes, Princess, I notice. You look very nice tonight in your lovely blue dress". I spoke with her, because she spoke first, but would never have taken a picture of her. Even as a very safe looking, grandmother of seven, I would never approach a kid without asking the parents first. However, at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with creating a little pixie dust for others if the opportunity just happens to fall in your lap. Making pixie dust for others usually feels better than receiving it. In the case of the little princess at Be Our Guest. Who actually made the pixie dust for others: the little princess and her parents who allowed her to interact with the other guests allowing us to become part of her fairy tale or those of us, who played along with her telling her what a lovely princess she was?

O.k., obviously I'm not relaying my point across correctly, because I'm not talking about stopping random acts of kindness or pixie dust while at WDW! Believe me, we've received it, and given it many times there. I love interacting with other guests, helping with questions that will make their day easier, or even giving some suggestions, making room on a crowded sidewalk, helping someone find a seat at a crowded QS restaurant, etc...

I have every desire to see pixie dust spread around by fellow park guests, not just CM's.

However, going up to little girls as asking for autographs, in my opinion, is different. Maybe that's just me. I can see it in LIMITED instances as being something very special, just like in this OP's first case. It should happen organically though, and not be sought out. To be honest, I do have a hard time seeing something like this becoming a common occurrence. ...but if it did, it would get tiresome for us, and depending, could cross over those privacy issues. I would not want a random 16 year old to ask for my daughter's photo with her either, at least not repeatedly. That is why I said it should best be handled by CM's. (and again, I'm talking about this autograph thing, not general pixie dust sharing :) )

Again, the OP's daughter did something very sweet and thoughtful, and the OP should be proud of her. :thumbsup2

Dan

I agree with you! We can all make a little pixie dust for others down there.

Aubriee...I know I'll never meet you in person, but I just have to tell you, I adore you. You are EXACTLY the kind of person the world needs more of!!

Thank you for BEING the magic!

:hug:

I've enjoyed all the input of this thread...even though I wasn't the OP I've read it all through...For many years, I refused to put photos of my son on Facebook, or any internet accessible site, to protect him as much as I could from what the world has become. I'm glad to see there are a lot of families who understand boundaries and know when & where there can be exceptions.

I think it's ok if it's just a spontaneous thing, like you are both sitting somewhere and you start naturally talking. And just autographs.

I also wonder what people would think if it was a 50 year man trying to do this, rather than a 16 year old girl...just saying!

I agree that there are two different scenarios in the OP. The first, where the little girl approached your DD, was so sweet. That would definitely not bother me.

If a stranger, even a teen girl, approached my DDs (6 and 9), I'd be wary but not too upset. It would seem more odd than threatening. More likely, my kids would simply get shy and not respond so autographs/pictures would be a moot point anyway.

If my girls did play along, though, I would not allow pictures.

Wow... from reading these responses, I am likely to be torn apart.

I am not nearly as protective about photos AT DISNEY. This is coming from a dad who doesn't put photos of my DS anywhere on the web until recently (hes 10 now, and only on my facebook).

But I generally look at Disney as a magical place where we are all having fun, and those around us are having fun. I have found people to be generally nicer and more polite then they might otherwise be. A little more helpful and a little more relaxed.

Perhaps there are people there with nefarious or meletious intentions, but I usually don't think of it that way.

To that end, I have a number of pictures of my DS curled up with someone else's DD on a bench asleep (they were both 4), or playing together on a playground, etc. A number of people have pictures of my DS riding with their DS or DD who they befrineded while on a ride.

It doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't even think twice about it or concerns about what they might do with that picture. I have not and would not tell someone else that they should not take a picture of their child interacting with mine in what I generally consider a safe environment.

Just my 2 cents. You may rip away at me as you wish.

I am not nearly as protective about photos AT DISNEY. This is coming from a dad who doesn't put photos of my DS anywhere on the web until recently (hes 10 now, and only on my facebook).

But I generally look at Disney as a magical place where we are all having fun, and those around us are having fun. I have found people to be generally nicer and more polite then they might otherwise be. A little more helpful and a little more relaxed.

Perhaps there are people there with nefarious or meletious intentions, but I usually don't think of it that way.

To that end, I have a number of pictures of my DS curled up with someone else's DD on a bench asleep (they were both 4), or playing together on a playground, etc. A number of people have pictures of my DS riding with their DS or DD who they befrineded while on a ride.

It doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't even think twice about it or concerns about what they might do with that picture. I have not and would not tell someone else that they should not take a picture of their child interacting with mine in what I generally consider a safe environment.

As a mom to a 3 year old who recently did BBB, I really wouldn't have a problem with this. I do agree that you should probably limit these type of interactions to those you are in line with or somehow near. I probably just wouldn't walk across the park and do it. I think it is cute.

As for a picture, I really wouldn't care. I'm sure my DD is in a ton of other peoples pictures in the background as am I and everyone else who has ever been to Disney. Furthermore, if someone really wanted to take your picture, they would just take it with their cell phone and you probably wouldn't even notice. A picture just doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but it seems based on this thread that others feel differently.

I think it's ok if it's just a spontaneous thing, like you are both sitting somewhere and you start naturally talking. And just autographs.

I also wonder what people would think if it was a 50 year man trying to do this, rather than a 16 year old girl...just saying!

People would flip out.. I guarantee it.

If this thread was started by a woman who was talking about her husband and not her teenage daughter I am sure the replies would be much different.

I think the girl did something sweet and considering she is harmless and had good intentions I think it isn't creepy at all... but, like you said switch cute 16 year old girl with lurking middle aged man and that is where it would be super creepy!

So I think the moral of this story is that it matters a lot who the person is asking for the photo and autograph.;)

My first though, a 16 year old female I would have no problem with. Any age male, then its more like "what are you doing?!?!" Maybe thats the dad in me :thumbsup2

rachellm said:
Fwiw, I don't know that you need to ask permission from the parents first (assuming you do autographs only ... no pictures.) I think this would work best when it happens naturually. Like you're standing near each other in a line, waiting for a show, etc. And the conversation just happens.

Strangers often talk to my kids. In stores, at the park, restaurants, etc. And I'm fine with that. I think speaking with other adults in a safe setting with mom/dad right there is always a good skill to work on.

I might be confused if someone tried to quietly ask me this. I wouldn't know what they were getting at or why :confused3: but if they just starting chatting, I'd catch on and I know my girls would be thrilled that someone thought they were a REAL princess.

I agree with this. I know my sister made a big deal about a little princess riding the monorail with us, and she was tickled. My 5-year-old would be thrilled to death if someone mistook her for a real princess while we were standing in line or riding the bus or monorail or something. I think it's very sweet, but if you actually stopped us while we were on our way somewhere or something, I'd find it a bit more odd. And I'm not big on people intentionally taking pictures of my children.

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been an interesting conversation. For the record...in my OP I should have worded it a bit differently.

In hindsight, I should have explained that we will not be spending our time in Disney running around looking for Little Princesses! It will be more of a chance encounter, rather than a "random approach". I would never allow my daughter to just walk down main street and stop every princess that walks by, or otherwise interfere with their plans/schedule/day. (this is what the "survey takers" at the other park are for!!!!)

If she does this in the future, it will be as it was before, a mutual encounter....with NO pictures, unless the princess' parent requests one!

I'm not ripping, I'm agreeing. The overreaction of parents to have me snap a photo of their child with a character means I don't get to have pictures of characters because a child might in that photo.

But, if I take a photo of kids dancing around in the Off Kilter area, no one says anything. Or, if I take a photo of the crowd at Star Wars Weekend and their child is in that, no one says anything.

Parents, you do understand that if your child is in ANY photo, there are so many applications out there to enhance that image should that person really want to do it? Your child doesn't have to pose for any photo, their images are out there. How many of you have your kids on your profile right here? You know those can be copied and quite easily.

Yes, there are pervs out there, no question about it. But come on, if you are a parent, wouldn't you feel that vibe?

People would flip out.. I guarantee it.

If this thread was started by a woman who was talking about her husband and not her teenage daughter I am sure the replies would be much different.

I think the girl did something sweet and considering she is harmless and had good intentions I think it isn't creepy at all... but, like you said switch cute 16 year old girl with lurking middle aged man and that is where it would be super creepy!

So I think the moral of this story is that it matters a lot who the person is asking for the photo and autograph.;)

Boy isn't it true! I am a 53 year old bearded white male with a wonderful wife and two grown kids. I love little kids and can't wait for grandkids. Boy do I have to be careful! Smile at that kid in the cart in line at the grocery store, say a kind word to a child at the park, and BAM - you may get strange looks or be in trouble. It is just a sign of the times.

I also like to do nice things for people at Disney, but I am very careful to read the situation carefully and be non-threatening. I judge situations and interact always with parents first and when it is natural - and always with my wife by my side. Same thing as in everyday life. I refuse to hide and I will continue to smile and talk to kids and be nice, but I will also be careful and VERY cognizant of parents concerns and wishes. I was a careful parent myself. I never ask for pictures or anything else and only talk to those that want to talk to me.

It makes me very angry at those who prey on children that have forced society to be this way.

BTW - I have talked to parents and kids at Disney and elsewhere and even given a few little gifts, all without ever having a problem. I didn't have a problem because I was always respectful, careful, and interacting ONLY where things were natural and comfortable and I always keep within boundaries that others are comfortable with.

I think several said it: Where the interaction is natural. Such as striking up a conversation in line. After exchanging conversation with parents for a while, a compliment or kindness to the kids is usually fine. Several ideas here are very non-threatening: Paying for a dessert and letting the CM hand it to the people behind you. Anyone can do that and you don't even need to interact with the kids at all! There have to be lots of ways to share some magic without making people uncomfortable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter