Is this racist or just politically incorrect?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by yeartolate, Mar 2, 2005.

?

Press passes can't be that hard to come by if the White House allows that old Arab He

1. This is a racist remark.

2. This is simply politically incorrect.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. yeartolate

yeartolate My toaster can pop more toast per hour than your t

In her online column, Ann Coulter stated
    Of course the liberal websites are all over it and call it racist, while the conservative websites don't mention it too much and the column itself has now been altered to read
    Frankly, the new quote does not even make sense, does it? The first quote seems to imply that arabs are all dangerous and therefore should not be in close proximity to the President. The replacement quote implies that a dyspeptic person should not be allowed to sit near the President - and the danger would be what ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mrsltg

mrsltg Guest

Well, being that Arab is NOT a race, I guess it's not "racist".

Erin :D

4. EsmeraldaX

EsmeraldaX DIS Veteran

I'm personally more offended by the mentioning of her being old...

I don't even know who that is though...

5. snoopy

snoopy <font color=green>This space for rent<br><font col

Ann Coulter is vile, but that isn't an option on your poll.

I don't think changing the words have made them any less direct. Either way you look at it, she's insinuating that Helen Thomas, this grand dame of the Press, is likely to hurt the President if she is near him. Nice message. :(

6. yeartolate

So do you think the comment was just politically incorrect? Or do you think she was implying that Arabs are dangerous and should not be allowed near the President?

What do you think she was implying?

7. Crankyshank

Crankyshank <font color=CC0066>love the happy bunny<br> <fon

My thoughts exactly. I can't stand Ann Coulter

8. mrsltg

mrsltg Guest

I have no idea what she is implying, I'm not her. It seems to be a dumb thing to say. But racist? Nope. Nothing racist about it.

Erin :)

9. Mickey's Monkey

Mickey's Monkey Roller Girl

I didn't know Helen Thomas was still alive. As someone pointed out, I don't see how it can be racist given that Arab is not a race, is it? I think "funny" should have been another option to pick. Althought Ann Coulter is over the top more often than not. I feel sorry for her husband (if she has one)

10. Puffy2

Puffy2 DIS Veteran

It's very offensive and insulting , but this is the way the extream right "debates" - always with loud, obnoxious, insults and skewed "facts" - NEVER any intelligent, honest, debate backed up by documented actual facts. If they can't prove that they are right, they always try to "shout down their opponent". They are disgusting individuals. And by "they" I mostly mean the likes of Ann Coulter, Shaw "Pawn" Hannity, Bill O'Reiley "O'Liely", Joe Scarsborough... and the like.

11. crcormier

crcormier <font color=green>We laughed, as it was quite appr

I voted racist, because there was no other reason to use that word other than to make it derogatory and inflamatory. I can't stand Ann Coulter, she is so hate-filled, most of her points are supported by facts that are either made up or twisted, she's just awful. Helen Thomas has a hundred times more dignity in my eyes than Ann Coulter ever will.

12. JoeThaNo1Stunna

JoeThaNo1Stunna <font color=teal>Wouldn't steal anyone's milk<font

Helen Thomas is an old nut who thinks she's God's greatest gift to the world. It's a deragatory statement she has earned. :cool1: Again, there is no arab race, so it is not racist.

13. Miss Jasmine

Miss Jasmine Time for something new!<BR><font color=limegreen><

Not a choice, but I find it in poor taste.

14. yeartolate

So what does it say to you - that she singled her out as "Arab"? Was it just a simple adjective?

15. ChefBilly

ChefBilly Go Pats!

People are too thin-skinned.
    And Helen Thomas is a narcissistic, shrill, nasty woman. Retire already.

16. tar heel

tar heel <font color=royalblue>Where will we get our news i

I can't comprehend the intellectual level of someone who likes Ann Coulter.

17. JoeD

JoeD Mouseketeer

Her comment was right on the money. It's neither racist nor politically incorrect. Helen Thomas is old (and vile).

And Thomas will support the PLO on any issue, even if it is against America's best interests, probably the root of the Arab attribute.

Ann Coulter is smart, hot, and conservative. My kinda chick.

18. EsmeraldaX

EsmeraldaX DIS Veteran

Ann Coulter is a right wing pot stirrer. I'm sure she chose her words to stir the pot and that is exactly what she is doing.

Since I don't know who this person Helen Thomas is (or if I do, I don't recall) I can just say that I DO know who Ann Coulter is and I'm sure she said whatever she said to cause a ruckus because that is what partisans on both sides do. It's how they make their living.

19. JoeD

JoeD Mouseketeer

By the way, the poll is bogus. There is no option for "Neither". Why are the only choices "racist" or "politically incorrect"? It's a biased poll.

20. yeartolate

So "Arab" is a derogatory statement? Please correct me if I am putting words into your mouth.

Fine, I understand that "Arab" is not a race, I was searching for a word that would imply hating a person for their background. Maybe bigoted would be a better term.

21. snoopy

snoopy <font color=green>This space for rent<br><font col

Helen Thomas is a White House reporter. She's been a journalist for longer than Ann Coulter has been alive.