Okay I need help here. I found this forum several weeks ago and decided that I should use DU and transfer my reservation for my May 30th Cruise. Everyone here had nothing but great things to say DU. Okay so last week I was peeking through some of the treads and saw that the price of the cruise had gone down considerably. So I went on to the Disney web site and saw that my cruise had gone down over 1200.00 (not including my rebooking discount of 10%) so I immediately called DU and could not get through to a person. So I emailed 2 times with no response. Yesterday I posted a thread that I needed help getting to the right person it was suggested that I email John at DU. I have done that now and still no answer. What I need to know is am I doing something wrong or is this normal. My understanding with DU is that they are looking for the best deal for me but right now I am not so sure. Does it matter now that I have paid in full for this trip. Do I no longer matter since they have my money? If any one can give me advice I would really appreciate it.