Is this cheesy? Disney themed care package for college kids?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by JUJU814, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JUJU814

JUJU814 DIS Veteran

I want to do this, but am wondering if it's cheesy?

I just booked a last minute vacation from Dec 28-Jan 5. We are taking our two younger kids as well as dd 20 and her boyfriend. They both attend the same college.

The next two weeks for them are crazy wild stressful as they prep for finals.

They are psyched about Disney, but can't really think about anything but studying (of course!)

I was going to send my dd a care package as I usually do, and this time send her boyfriend a little one too. I thought it would be fun to put some Disney stuff in it. I haven't been to the Disney store yet so I don't know if a regular Disney store sells Disney like snacks? At least a chocolate bar or something? Or maybe cookie cutters and I could send Mickey shaped cookies?

What would you send (if you don't think it's already cheesy LOL) to a couple of college kids for a study care package, knowing you were headed to see the mouse?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JUJU814

JUJU814 DIS Veteran

LOL After posting this, I mentioned it to dh and he says "seriously??"

Mind you, he's a NON Disney lover.

4. Lizzybean

Lizzybean Mouseketeer

I would've LOVED a care package like that while I was in college!!

5. Tigger1221

Tigger1221 DIS Veteran

I would of loved this in college! I think its a great idea. I know walgreens also has Disney Christmas stuff like candy and other small things.

6. Sweettears

Sweettears 50 years of Disney and counting

How about some cheese? ;) I think it's a great idea.

7. SammySlythers

SammySlythers Earning My Ears

I think it's a great idea! I'm 24 and only a few years out of college and I would have loved this if someone had sent it to me. Finals are so stressful that really any type of 30 second relief from thinking about them helps a lot. Disney candy and maybe some small toy would be cute and can I also suggest a deflated beach ball that can be blown up and punched around the room when writing papers and/or studying? I had one and it was a great way to get frustration out.:thumbsup2

8. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

I would send it to your DD with a note to share with her BF. I think a 20 year old college man might get some major ribbing for getting a Disney themed care package. There are a lot of snack type stuff you can get at local grocery stores, Target is pretty good. You should be able to find juice boxes, fruit snacks, cookies, Target has fruit and veggie cups but that might not ship well. Maybe a WDW CD to listen to the music while they study or some sleep pants, a Disney mug and hot chocolate. Sometime you can find Disney Christmas candy too.

9. maggs1035

maggs1035 DIS Veteran

I think the deciding factor is male or female? And if you have been to Disney a lot or this is the first trip or haven't been in a long time? I have a 20 DD and 18 DS, and I can tell you my son is sick of hearing Disney talk (loves our trips though) and would not like the package! Our DD also gets tired of hearing about Disney but would have a greater appreciation for the package! For us it boils down to son or daughter!

10. thedonduck

thedonduck DIS Veteran

My DH and I would have both loved this a couple of years ago when we were studying for college finals!

11. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

Cheese away!:thumbsup2 I agree with a previous poster. Send it to your DD and ask her to share with her boyfriend. As for ideas, maybe make it a combination of Disney stuff and add some small items that will help with the stress of studying.

12. Lizzybean

Lizzybean Mouseketeer

I think you could do one just for the boyfriend--strictly food and candy and his roommates and everyone on his floor will thank you! ;)

13. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I just sent my son a box that had two toys that we got with two gift cards that we included (chicken and burgers), a long Pez tube (included Pez dispenser and several packages of Pez), Chapstick, a couple of boxes of tea and some gum. He loved it. Kids always love to get packages and mail from their families. They don't do very good in writing back, but as long as I get a text message that the box or letter arrived, I'm good with that.

14. pinktink83

pinktink83 DIS Veteran

I wouldn't send one to the BF. I like the idea of just saying in a note that its for the two of them. I wouldn't do juice boxes and fruit snacks either. Disney cookies and candy are fine, and maybe hot chocolate or a mug, etc. You could put in a mini Christmas tree, too, and do some disney ornaments maybe?

15. Keurigirl

Keurigirl let's all sing like the birdies sing

I'm 34 and I would love to get something like this!! :) LOL I think it's totally awesome.

16. deuceswild10

deuceswild10 Mouseketeer

Not cheesy! So nice and thoughtful of you! I would just do regular care package stuff and then add a few Disney items, not too much. What a great mom you are. :love:

17. Fyrefly

Fyrefly Mouseketeer

Any care package is more than welcome especially this time of year!

I wouldn't bother with the cookie cutters. We don't have time during finals to fuss with cookies - I don't even get to decorate for Christmas like I used to. :(

Anything food is great, if you want to send Disney cookies or Disney themed foods that's great. Most students have little to no room for any more decor so I would just say no "stuff" only food. And maybe aspirin... :lmao:

I think sending one to share is a good idea if only because it saves on postage and then you don't have to worry about any minefields of the BF getting teased or him thinking its weird his GF's parents send him stuff and not sure how to reciprocate, etc.

18. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Pluto's personal nose scratcher

Yeah, that's a bit cheesy.

19. mrsdrake625

mrsdrake625 DIS Veteran

Not cheesy! You know them better than anyone here does, if they're excited about the trip coming up then having a reminder of it while in the midst of finals stress is a good thing.

Food type items are probably a safe bet for the guy, since who really cares what the wrapper looks like? If its chocolate inside I.don't foresee many complaints :)

My mom got my husband and I matching mickey and Minnie mugs for Christmas this year and we love them. Granted, hubby doesn't live with any other guys.