Is this a new thing? And WHY?

FlyingDumbo

DIS Veteran
I am noticing everywhere I go people are now using their cell phone on SPEAKER phone. WHY? I am waiting in the waiting room at the doctors office, then again at the supermarket, then again at Target. It was bad enough when I had to hear ONE side of your conversation now I have to hear both? I am secretly tempted to make as much noise as possible to annoy you. The noise that the guy makes in Dumb & Dumber comes to mind. Why are we all using speaker phone in public places? Just stop it. Seriously.

I am noticing everywhere I go people are now using their cell phone on SPEAKER phone. WHY? I am waiting in the waiting room at the doctors office, then again at the supermarket, then again at Target. It was bad enough when I had to hear ONE side of your conversation now I have to hear both? I am secretly tempted to make as much noise as possible to annoy you. The noise that the guy makes in Dumb & Dumber comes to mind. Why are we all using speaker phone in public places? Just stop it. Seriously.

I don't have an answer and I don't do it, but how is this different from two people having a conversation next to you in Target?

I don't have an answer and I don't do it, but how is this different from two people having a conversation next to you in Target?

In my experience they have the volume turned up rather loud so it is like two people yelling next to you.

Even better is the woman that felt the need to call someone while in the restroom. Which is bad enough but did she really need to use the speaker phone option? :confused3

While I rarely talk on my phone in public and don't use speaker phone to do so, I often use speaker phone at home. I got a new phone and I can't hear worth beans on it. The sound comes out the end of it, so if I hold it so I can hear better, the person I'm calling can't hear me. I miss the old flip phones!

I always use the speaker on my phone. I hate holding it up to my ear. I never realized it bothered anyone.

I have a dear friend who only used her cell phone on speaker phone. She had read some of the conflicting reports about possible links to cell phones and cancer. So rather than risk a future problem she exclusively used her phone on speaker.

:sad1:Sadly she is dying of a brain tumor right now. I guess is it ironic. She was not trying to be obnoxious, she was trying to be safe.

I always use the speaker on my phone. I hate holding it up to my ear. I never realized it bothered anyone.

It doesn't really bother me with the exception of the bathroom lady. That was just unnecessary. And since I heard all of the conversation, I can honestly say that it could have waited until she was done and out of the restroom.

It doesn't really bother me with the exception of the bathroom lady. That was just unnecessary. And since I heard all of the conversation, I can honestly say that it could have waited until she was done and out of the restroom.

When women are talking on the phone in the bathroom (so inappropriate), I flush the toilet-sometimes more than once. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

When women are talking on the phone in the bathroom (so inappropriate), I flush the toilet-sometimes more than once. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Me too. And I pray that someone makes bathroom noises. Loudly.

I don't think there is any reason to use a speakerphone in a store or restaurant. Generally to hear the speakerphone in a public setting you have to have it way up. And even the sexiest voice has a grating quality when coming through a speaker phone. And the the person holding the phone speaks louder so they can be heard. Annoying for all involved.

I have noticed people on cell phones tend to talk louder than just two people carrying on a conversation in a store. Some people just want to be heard, tho, lol. I was getting my oil changed Saturday & also in the small waiting area were two young women waiting for their car. We all had to listen to one of the women call her husband several times to complain about the estimate & how she wasted 2 hours of her life there. Just as bad when she wasn't on the phone tho, as she and her friend discussed everything they had done since they last saw each other. Everyone was glad when they left.

:lmao:

Well I do use the speaker phone but not in public.

For those that think talking on a cellphone in public is rude or inappropriate, can you explain why you think so? Not trying to be snarky- I honestly don't understand what the big deal is. We hear other people's real live conversations all the time when we are out and about. Why is it bad to hear one end of said conversation on a cellphone?

I am not bothered at all by someone near me in a restaurant or other place talking on a phone (maybe if we are trying to watch a movie, but no other instance I can think of). Don't want to hear it? Just don't pay attention to it. :confused3

People tend to talk loud when they are using a speaker phone. Half the time it's because the connection isn't great and they can't hear each other. I wouldn't care if people used their speaker phones if they would only keep the volume at a decent level.

For those that think talking on a cellphone in public is rude or inappropriate, can you explain why you think so? Not trying to be snarky- I honestly don't understand what the big deal is. We hear other people's real live conversations all the time when we are out and about. Why is it bad to hear one end of said conversation on a cellphone?

I am not bothered at all by someone near me in a restaurant or other place talking on a phone (maybe if we are trying to watch a movie, but no other instance I can think of). Don't want to hear it? Just don't pay attention to it. :confused3

I work in a library. We allow cellphone use in the building AND quiet two way conversations. There is no reason to scream into a cellphone. If you need to have it on speaker to hear the conversation (I do ) use a headset. The rest of the world does not care to hear you make dates with women or discuss your sex life and medical issues. It's really stupid to give your social security number out loud in a public place. The same rules apply to "quiet conversations"

I blame reality TV. The Kardashians are always using speaker phone so the cameras can get the whole conversation. I'm sure there are people who think they are so interesting they feel the need to perform while in public.

People tend to talk loud when they are using a speaker phone. Half the time it's because the connection isn't great and they can't hear each other. I wouldn't care if people used their speaker phones if they would only keep the volume at a decent level.

Even landline speaker phones have to be turned up loud and you have to speak louder into them as well. My boss is terrible about this. It's not unusual for him to be yammering away in his office and someone else comes by to close his door :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter