• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts?

I honestly can't recall a time where a cast member has ever asked where I was staying.

I know I've heard CMs ask that before. However, I don't recall a negative reaction no matter which resort I've said. I do remember some CMs making comments when we've had concierge level KTTW cards. Nothing over the top or degrading to any of the other accommodations or guests. We've only had two trips with those cards though, once when we were upgraded from a standard room and another time when they ran out of the blue ones.

We've enjoyed stays at all levels. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in reality say something bad about a Disney hotel I have stayed at. I've even heard positive things from people about their stays at value resorts when they hear that we go to Disney a lot, unashamed and unabashedly.

From my experience, the resort wars are an internet phenomena.

That's ridiculous because in reality (on a credit card) there's not much difference between 500 and 1500...they're hurting their own business when placing a limit of 500, too, since WE ALL KNOW that 500 can be spent in a heartbeat at Disney!

I've stayed at many different resorts (see sig) and all I can say now that I'm divorced and living on my teacher's salary is that even the values are NOT CHEAP...it still may take people a long time to save up to go... my ex and I got to a point in our lives where staying deluxe on the club level was nothing and now I CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO AT ALL...yet, I'm the same person that loved my Yacht Club!!!You never know what's going to happen in life so it's better not to make declarations of where you would never stay... look at my signature and look at me now!

I experienced this the one time I did stay at a value. Nothing against people who like value resorts, but I just like more "romantic" theming because its just DBF and I and no kids so we always do deluxe. I think some kids would probably prefer the All Star theming over the deluxes, though.

The one time I stayed at a value was because I was the date of someone who was in a bridal party, and the bridal party was asked to stay in that room block. It was just easier transportation wise. I'm not snobby enough to throw a wrench in someone's wedding agenda because I feel I'm too good for a value resort, lol!

Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.

I was a little upset about this but did end up buying a few dresses (they're not cheap!). I was a little bummed out but wandered to the part of the GF where the bridal party's pics were being taken. One of the women from the store walks up with a man, and introduces me to the manager of the GF. She goes, "This is Samantha, she was shopping with us today and got her hair done upstairs." He was extremely polite and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. They kept going on and on about my dress, hair, how pretty I was...yes I know it sounds shallow but it really made me feel like a princess after a stressful week. So I guess I experienced both sides of the spectrum in one day?

The bus stop at Epcot for Wilderness Lodge is the farthest away stop on the far side of the circle. And buses for the deluxe resorts usually share with other deluxes, which isn't always a benefit.

Coming out of DS, if you walk straight out, the first bus stop is CSR. If you turn right, the first stop is AKL though. At DTD AKL and CSR share a bus stop (the very last one). Also at DTD the very first bus is shared by Old Key West and Port Orleans.:rotfl::rotfl: Before they moved the bus stops about two years ago, CSR used to be the very first bus stop coming out of MK, now it's on the far side, down past all three of the All Stars. Only Pop is further. Coming out of Epcot, if you go straight, the first three stops are usually CSR, POFQ, and PORS. For some reason, even though it's a moderate too, CBR is way down past those in the next section with the value resorts. The Deluxes are off to the right and some of them are alot further out than the CSR, POFQ, or PORS stops that you walk straight out to. I remember not only WL, but BW and YC both being really far around there.

I've stayed at many different resorts (see sig) and all I can say now that I'm divorced and living on my teacher's salary is that even the values are NOT CHEAP...it still may take people a long time to save up to go... my ex and I got to a point in our lives where staying deluxe on the club level was nothing and now I CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO AT ALL...yet, I'm the same person that loved my Yacht Club!!!You never know what's going to happen in life so it's better not to make declarations of where you would never stay... look at my signature and look at me now!

And no matter how little money you spend at Disney, you could be taking that money elsewhere. I bet there are a lot of frugal vacationers who combined make for a large portion of WDWs revenue. Guests are guests, and someone staying at a value resort's money is just as green as someone staying at the GF.

I experienced this the one time I did stay at a value. Nothing against people who like value resorts, but I just like more "romantic" theming because its just DBF and I and no kids so we always do deluxe. I think some kids would probably prefer the All Star theming over the deluxes, though.

The one time I stayed at a value was because I was the date of someone who was in a bridal party, and the bridal party was asked to stay in that room block. It was just easier transportation wise. I'm not snobby enough to throw a wrench in someone's wedding agenda because I feel I'm too good for a value resort, lol!

Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.

I was a little upset about this but did end up buying a few dresses (they're not cheap!). I was a little bummed out but wandered to the part of the GF where the bridal party's pics were being taken. One of the women from the store walks up with a man, and introduces me to the manager of the GF. She goes, "This is Samantha, she was shopping with us today and got her hair done upstairs." He was extremely polite and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. They kept going on and on about my dress, hair, how pretty I was...yes I know it sounds shallow but it really made me feel like a princess after a stressful week. So I guess I experienced both sides of the spectrum in one day?

Interesting story.:)

Reminded me of a friend in a jewellery store.
He had ordered his fiancee ring,he went straight from work-suited and booted.received impeccable attention,couldn't do enough for him.
Returned to order wedding rings,in his sweats,still the same man,as pp said,nothing else was different about him,but he was treated with disdain.
He left and went elsewhere.:confused:

I think this has more to do with the package delivery system than it has to do with where you are staying. I had wanted to make a purchase in the GF gift shop when we were staying in the YC but I didn't want to carry it around. The CM informed me that it could take as long as 5 days for the package to go from GF to YC. By then, we would have been back home!

I ended up not making the purchase.

Nope, it's the whole delivery system. I bought something (or was going to) at the CR. I asked if I could have it delivered to my resort. They asked which one, I told them it was BWV. They apologized and said it would take up to 5 days to do that. I left the purchase sitting there...no way was I carrying it around with me for the rest of the day!!

And those resort bus stops at Epcot? Ever walked to the bus for Pop??? Best take a snack with you. There aren't any that are further away!!!

Interesting story.:)

Reminded me of a friend in a jewellery store.
He had ordered his fiancee ring,he went straight from work-suited and booted.received impeccable attention,couldn't do enough for him.
Returned to order wedding rings,in his sweats,still the same man,as pp said,nothing else was different about him,but he was treated with disdain.
He left and went elsewhere.:confused:

Similar story - my husband has a 1989 Corvette convertible that we bought way back in 1992. Actually *we* didn't buy it, it was a gift from his parents (yes, they are awesome). We get treated differently when we're in that car than we do when we get out of my 2006 Malibu Maxx that we bought with our own money. But we paid for the Maxx and not the Corvette.

Humans are odd creatures.

Same here. Stayed at all levels but the economy can hit you hard. Both of us out of work for a year and a half and then later, me out for two and a have years. We have gone value now and love it. But still the same people. I know my husband lugged a case of beer across the lobby of the elegant Yacht Club and he does the same from the parking lot of Pop Century. No shame and if other don't like it, tough.

Snobbery is an odd thing - sometimes it is truly baffling. I have sensitive feet and certain of the high-end brands are worth it for me - but I have sometimes walked into their boutique stores even wearing their product, and the salespeople were still rude/dismissive. Regarding deluxes, we only stay there, but mainly b/c out toddler is somewhat "spirited" and I often have to spend some of our vacation working, so my wife needs at least one or two parks that do not require a bus without me.

The issue is that they clear the charges to the credit card overnight, and not when you hit the limit, so it's feasible, even likely, that you'll hit your limit mid-day and have your card declined. It's not the end of the world, but it's still a hassle. We've only stayed in Deluxes, but after the first time having that happen to us, I now go to the front desk every few days and ask them to proactively sweep the charges to avoid the issue.[/QUOTE

Our whole family stayed at the GF RPC last fall, courtesy of my parents. They paid for all three rooms, park passes for 7 people at check-in and dinner every night. On our third day. Mom and I were buying $40 worth of soap at Basin White when her card was rejected. We were mortified, but the CMs explained that this was a pretty standard. We paid cash, called the desk and found that the card had been swept. It is not a big deal, but it was embarrassing.

I myself have never ran into snobbery but my sister did in 2007 when she and her husband stayed with us at FW in my RV. She was wearing a FW t-shirt one day. Some woman in one of the lines made a comment that it must be hard to only afford a camping vacation at Disney and not be able to get a room at a real resort. She looked at the woman and said " I am staying in a motor home and do you have any idea how much one of those things cost, I could stay at the Grand Floridian in the best suite for a month for less that the cost of the RV I am staying in"

By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?:)

No, the only place I've noticed this is in posts on the DIS.

The resort bus stops at parks & DD change every so often. What's front of the line on one vists changes. Forget where I read or heard this, but I recall that resorts bid on spots.

Charging limits for resorts have been forever, many times it just starts over without having to call. I can recall only 1 time did I get my KTTK declined, and we were staying at ASMo and at BBB in DD. The CM said I would have to use a different payment method and I said no, I'd like to call the resort. It took some time but that's what I did.

Slightly off subject but this thread reminds me of how rudely I was treated at a Louis Vuitton store by a sales person. I guess my shorts and t-shirt were not up to snuff. However, what did Julia Roberts character say in Pretty Woman?? Big mistake. My sister ended up spending quite a large sum of money that day. And guess who was NOT the commissioned sales person? You never know and should never make assumptions about people. Plus it's classless.

I've run into snobby people at Disney but it really didn't seem to have anything to do with the resort choice. I've seen snobby people in the parks, restaurants, resorts and on the different modes of transportation. People don't change who they are just because they are stepping on Disney property.

The only comment I received was one time when showing my room key for evening extra magic hours, a cm commented that staying club level was nice. I wondered how she knew this and she stated it was the gold key. She wasn't being snobby, just commenting on how nice club level was.

I think it is common for people to be treated differently depending on how you are dressed. Someone wearing sweats probably will be treated different than someone who is well dressed especially in a high-end store unless they know you.

I've been on some pretty nice shopping avenues and I won't go in to certain stores if I feel like I am not dressed in a certain way. Not saying it's right but it's just the way it is. People judge all the time.

I myself have never ran into snobbery but my sister did in 2007 when she and her husband stayed with us at FW in my RV. She was wearing a FW t-shirt one day. Some woman in one of the lines made a comment that it must be hard to only afford a camping vacation at Disney and not be able to get a room at a real resort. She looked at the woman and said " I am staying in a motor home and do you have any idea how much one of those things cost, I could stay at the Grand Floridian in the best suite for a month for less that the cost of the RV I am staying in"

That's shocking!

My sister has a motor home,and it cost more than our house:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter