is there a deal coming?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by lizziewhan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

Just a couple of things about the teacher issues...since they've hijacked a little.

First, to my friend in North Carolina...

Its not that you "aren't paid" for 160 days a year...it's that your annual salary is paid over a 9 month period (or whatever the academic year as 99% of all school districts in the country do.) If you take your biweekly or bimonthly pay amount and multiply it out by 26/24....the number is much higher than 42,000...or whatever it was.

Second...those Cherry Hill salaries are the average STARTING salaries. I live right next door, trust me...that is a probably intentional misprint. The NJEA does that on occasion for its own purposes...particulary in recent years in their public battle with Christie.

And third, if you're really curious...the asbury park press publishes all salaries of public employees (state, local, county, cops, firefighters and teachers) on their website. Its public information in this state. The data is usually about 2 years behind.
    But to the "beach house" argument...the wayne school district, for example, had 159 instructional staff with a salary in excess of $100,000. Not to mention administrators at upwards of $125,000 each.

so yeah, some are high off the hog...but that can't be generalized for everyone.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

Sounds like we agree in most of our views. I got your back in the debate.

With the way the raw costs of food is skyrocketing it was just a matter of time until the offerings eroded somewhat. The dining plan certainly helped that along. If you think the prices are high on your grocery bill, imagine feeding a million people. :rotfl2:

Most of the percentage gains from what I read in the details are in part due to increased attendance during the big events like F&W, holidays and smaller increases in the off seasons. Even though it still seems slower in March, early May and late August, the numbers are still up slightly. We got a really good price for flights in August that allowed me to book completely on SW points. Not paying for flights.......priceless.:lmao::lmao:

4. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

Amen. Disney is theme park, vacation destination. No one "deserves" a specific vacation. Not trying to be snarky to the poster, but deserve is a word of entitlement.

In my opinion, it would be awesome if every child in the world had the opportunity to go to Disney at least once. Reality is that this will never happen and was never the intention. We work really hard to be able to afford this type of vacation, discounts or not. There are plenty of less expensive vacations for those that cannot afford the Disney price tag (Believe me, I have taken most of them while struggling to get where I am now). We believe and have taught our children that we "deserve" what we earn.

5. lazer

lazer DIS Veteran

This thread just reminded me how much we used to love October. Booked October last year and I was actually disappointed when free dining came out for the weeks we were there. It was way crowded to the point on our last day we walked to the magic kingdom gates, and turned immediately around and went back to the hotel. Trying November again this year (did that about 3 years ago).

6. diamondpixienc

diamondpixienc DIS Veteran

Now, I get that some people may need the discount to afford a trip to the world and there is nothing wrong with that.:lovestruc But, alot of people are fortunate to afford it regardless and may feel like I do: "Why should I pay full price for the same thing if I can get the same package and apply a discount or coupon to get a percentage off? I mean who doesn't like to save a dollar to keep more of their blessings in their pocket? :duck:

7. FuzzyLump502

FuzzyLump502 Earning My Ears

My wife and I went last June and had deluxe dining and had a blast. No discounts just paid out of pocket... We don't make a lot of money we just saved and planned for nearly a year. We are going again this October with no dining. We can afford it but we just thought we would try a different route. If FD or other discounts come out great we definately would love it! But if not we are fine... I agree although Disney should be a right of passage in every kids life the reality is it never really be this way. I may sound snooty but but I like feeling like I've made something of myself when I can afford and budget regular annual trips to the world. The World has literally been a part of my growing up, and I feel like its a privilege I've worked hard to earn...