Is the wi-fi fast enough for my Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by ILoveToRun, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ILoveToRun

ILoveToRun Mouseketeer

I want to bring my Apple TV but only if the wi-fi is fast enough. Is it? I don't mind waiting a couple minutes for something to load, but I don't want to wait an hour to watch something 22 minutes.

Also, do the TVs at POFQ and SSR have HDMI hookups?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

I was at saratoga springs last April over spring break. Unless some thing happened since then. No it is not.

4. wdwjeffc37

wdwjeffc37 DisneyWorldFan

I would say the wi-fi is not fast enough for streaming devices. I also found the connection to be unreliable. I'm not sure about the HDMI. We had days where we didn't even turn on the television. We were at the CSR and I think when the demand on the wi-fi system gets high you get dropped connections. I noticed in the evenings it was a lot slower. YMMV.

5. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

An hour would be good for the Disney wifi

6. dawnhaze

dawnhaze DIS Veteran

Not unless you get really, really lucky with your wi-fi speeds. I've had it vary from halfway decent to hardly being able to check my email. The infrastructure almost certainly isn't intended to support guests streaming HD video.

If POFQ and SSR have the same flat screens that the values do, they do have an HDMI port, but I never bothered trying to hook anything up and change the input.

7. TheShea's

TheShea's Mouseketeer

We were at BCV and the WiFi wasn't fast enough to stream. More importantly, I couldn't hold a connection for more than 15-20 minutes, even when stationary, without losing the signal. This happened on 2 iPhones and 2 5th Gen Touches.

8. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

It really depends. I have had rooms with wifi strong enough to stream, and rooms with wifi so poor I could barely check email.

9. Rendar

Rendar Earning My Ears

I have been streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime at night for the last two weeks using Disney's wifi. It has been pretty smooth almost the whole time.

10. Shaden

Shaden Registered

Disagree, in some cases, when we were at POR for 2 weeks in May, I fell asleep to Netflix just about every night, never had any problem.

11. shan136

shan136 Mouseketeer

Locally, sometimes I find faster service if I switch off wifi and use the 4g network for my ipad & iphone. If I were willing to incur data charges, are the 3g/4g speeds in the resort areas (staying at BWI) fast enough to stream?

(I know it may sound odd to ask, but WDW TV has left a lot to be desired and I may want to download movies/shows before I get down there)...

Thanks.

12. DH6230

DH6230 Earning My Ears

I have watched my Detroit Tigers on Mlb tv at the Pop and I also watched a game at Epcot during a Night Ranger concert that my wife wanted to see. It might drop out a few times but it was better than missing the game.