Is SSR boring?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by MushyMushy, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackacex2

blackacex2 Mouseketeer

This map should help you understand location. Note the location of the epcot resorts on crescent lake and their central location in relation to all the theme parks.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

Thanks for the map but we have been over 40 times, I know where everything is located. We will just have to agree to disagree over the rest.

Here are the facts on the distances from the parks to the resorts from the site here.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/resort-distances.htm

I did not say that SSR was closest to a park, I said it was closer to all 4 parks than other resorts. It is closer to MK by a mile over BC, YC and CBR. It is only a mile to Epcot from SSR and closer to all parks than AK, compared to AKL which was the info the OP was looking for.

4. AliceIn

AliceIn DIS Veteran

Those distances don't look quite right to me, either that or they are using some funky calculation? It says the Beach Club is 3 miles from Epcot, but it's a very short walk. Are these distances if you take a car and drive around to the front entrances?

5. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

yes it is driving distances.

6. meggiebeth

meggiebeth Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow

Have you actually stayed at SSR? You seem to loathe it with a vengeance. FTR, I have never seen a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc that looks anything like SSR. That is a terrible comparison.

The spa actually receives very good reviews, and seems to be reasonably priced, so that comparison isn't very good either. AKL doesn't even have a spa.

It is a few minutes walk to Downtown Disney, with so many activities. Cirque du Soleil, balloon flights, cinema, boating, more restaurants than AKL and AK added up, and much more.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but its generally better to have one when you are actually well informed on what you have an opinion of. SSR and AKL both cater to different people. I feel immersed in Disney magic at SSR. However it isn't overwhelming in theming and we like that. The theme is there though and very authentic.

AKL is more in your face theming and exciting, but some people do prefer to stay somewhere less in your face. Sure, it may have more dining options, however when you factor in Downtown Disney SSR has much more.

I would recommend, OP, that you stay at AKL for your trip. You love it there, and the theming at SSR may disappoint you. If you stayed at SSR you may spend the whole time wishing you were at AKL, and spending a little more would be worth getting the vacation you love. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

7. delilah

delilah DIS Veteran

For what it's worth, we belong to DVC and own at SSR. I am embarrassed to say that we haven't stayed at SSR since 2006, and haven't used our points there since 2005 :faint:

We routinely changed our reservations to Beach Club villas, because it was walking distance to Epcot, and then when AKL villas became available, we bought points there, and generally have stayed there once a year ever since.

From my standpoint, SSR was spread out. If you stayed in a studio, the laundry is near the main pool. It is a beautiful, spacious, airy laundry, but, it is a long hike in hot weather to bring clothes there. If we stay for a week, we usually only bring enough clothes so that we plan on doing laundry half way through. Likewise, the buses take a long time to get through the resort to go to the park, because there are several stops. And, because there are several stops, they sometimes are full by the time they get to yours.

On the other hand, the highlight of my day when I stay at AKL villas (either Kidani or Jambo) is to sit on the balcony having my breakfast and watching the animals outside the room. The bus service one resort compared to the other is a wash, in my opinion. The buses stop at Kidani first, then Jambo. The laundry, if I stay in a studio, is inside the building, and I can watch animals while I wait for the clothes to be done.

I have a reservation for next December for SSR, that I am actually planning to change to either Bay Lake towers, Beach club villas, or Akl at the 7 mo window. It's not that I don't like SSR. It's that I like the other resorts better.

In case you are wondering, why did I buy points at SSR if I didn't plan on staying there? Simple. At the time we bought, it was the only resort available. We had stayed at OKW, and totally loved the idea of DVC. Our son was about 4 at the time, and we knew we would want to be coming back.

8. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Good Sailing Master. Average Banjo Picker.

1) I think so.
    2) There is little "Disney" at Disney's SSR.
    3) Plus, the buildings are like rows of Holiday Inns.
    4) VERY LITTLE CHARACTER.

NOTE: Having worked there for quite some time, I think it is the
    most boring of ANY Disney resort, DVC or not.

9. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

How can there be little of Disney when the bedding has scenes from Fox and the Hound and Disney horses? :confused3

10. MushyMushy

MushyMushy <font color=blue>Marseeya Here!<br><font color=blu

Thanks, all, so much for going through the pros and cons for me. I think we're going to go ahead and stick to AKL this time around and maybe check out SSR when it's just my husband and me. Distance doesn't mean anything to us, but theming does. We did tour SSR several years ago for DVC, but it was rather forgettable to me.

I'm not trying to discount those who love the resort. I know everyone has their favorites. Even my beloved AKL isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think I just needed to hear the different opinions so I could determine if it was worth the savings for us. I think if we want some bigger savings, I agree with the poster who suggested one of the values.

11. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy <font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and Moderator

Attention all posters..

You don't have to agree with each other. You do have to respect the opinions of others, even if they may not be right for YOUR situation. You must interact in a respectful way.

The DIS Posting Rules are here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Infractions will result for those who cannot play by these simple rules. This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.