Is SSR boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushyMushy

Marseeya Here!
I'm considering switching our reservations from AKL savanna view to a studio at SSR. We've been to WDW six times and have stayed at AKL every time. I think we love it. ;)

This will be our first trip with our 4-year old granddaughter and her mom. We really want to share our love of AKL with them, but I'm seeing a significant saving by doing SSR. Will we be disappointed?

Probably.
But your guests probably won't notice.

SSR is kind of like staying in an upscale apartment complex - there is no in-your-face theme like at AKL, and nothing very artistic or interesting about the grounds. And of course, no animals unless you count the ubiquitous ducks in the water and lizards in the underbrush.

There is something to be said about significant savings, though, even if you eventually plan some other way to give WDW that money...

Probably.

SSR is kind of like staying in an upscale apartment complex - there is no in-your-face theme like at AKL, and nothing very artistic or interesting about the grounds. And of course, no animals unless you count the ubiquitous ducks in the water and lizards in the underbrush.

There is something to be said about significant savings, though, even if you eventually plan some other way to give WDW that money...

I was looking through some pics of the resort, in my mind going "blah... blah... blah... ooh, a pool bar... blah" :) We enjoy spending a lot of time hanging out at the resort. Although the main pool looks nice, I just can't see myself hanging out there for an entire week.

We love SSR. I would recommend it. We spent a week there and wished we'd have stayed for longer. We aren't huge fans of AKL, it is quite dark and we prefer light and airy. SSR doesn't have the theming that AKL has, and not the animals either, but it is a beautiful resort. There are two feature pools, a bike rental place, lots of recreation and some dining options- though not nearly as many as AKL. One of the pools- the Paddock- has a CS restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eating breakfast by the pool is wonderful.

However the big bonus is that you are so close to Downtown Disney. Certain buildings are only a few minutes walk. There, there is more recreation and more restaurants and activities than AKL by far. The walk is very pleasant too.

The rooms are also currently being refurbished. It is worth looking up the refurbished rooms as they are lovely.

I suppose it is a matter of taste. We weren't that impressed with AKL or the Poly. However we loved the GF, the BC and SSR. Have you ever visited SSR? It would be a shame if you booked your stay and then regretted staying there.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm considering switching our reservations from AKL savanna view to a studio at SSR. We've been to WDW six times and have stayed at AKL every time. I think we love it. ;)

This will be our first trip with our 4-year old granddaughter and her mom. We really want to share our love of AKL with them, but I'm seeing a significant saving by doing SSR. Will we be disappointed?

I realize different people have different tastes, but my family LOVES SSR.

It also happens to be one of the few places that can handle five people who prefer to have an in-room washer/dryer and kitchen.

As for theming, I think it is a beautifully appointed and decorated resort. If you're looking for the in-your-face Disney theming of, say, an All-Star, then no, SSR isn't what you want. SSR is like being at home while on vacation. We love the simplicity of Artist's Palette, the pool at the carriage house is tremendous, and the "dive-in movies" (at least I hope they still do them) are a fun treat every night. It's peaceful, quiet, picturesque, and impeccably manicured. About the only downside I think we'd offer is that the busses to the parks aren't always scheduled as consistently as we might prefer.

The great thing about SSR is that you can go back to your room and grab a cold drink from your fridge, maybe crash on the sofa and grab a quick snooze before the afternoon charge back to the parks, or even cook up a pot of coffee. We head out to either the Goodings or what I think is a Winn-Dixie (?) about a mile or two east of Goodings along Apopka-Vineland, and grab a stash of breakfast pastries, english muffins, and juice to allow for a cheap, quick breakfast in room before we head out for the day. This allows us to save on the expense of in-park breakfasts, the last few of which had left us a little disappointed.

We're not particularly outdoorsy folks, so if I had a choice between AKL and SSR and SSR were cheaper, it would be a no-brainer for us. Even as it is, SSR is obviously a premium resort, so we have to fund it strategically, but for us its worth it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Probably.

(additional salient comments deleted for brevity)

Agreed!

As others have mentioned, SSR seems to be aimed at adults who want to get away from over-the-top Disney theming. That is not to say it cannot appeal to kids, especially those that like horses.

Have your granddaughter learn a little about the August meet at The Spa, as Saratoga Springs, NY, is called. The Grand Union Hotel. Potato chips. (Even a four year old can relate to potato chips!) She's more likely to be engaged with her environment when she arrives, and less likely to be bored.

Did you know Calistoga, CA, was envisioned as the Saratoga of California? (Sorry; that's getting a bit OT....)

I think she and her mother will be delighted!

a studio has a queen bed and double sleeper sofa.

the rooms at AKL have 2 queen beds.

both sleep 4.

I totally agree about the "apartment complex" feel. Once was enough for us, we won't be going back.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Honestly I think AKL has much more "vibe" if that makes any sense. While I enjoyed SSR and I thought it was relaxing it didn't have the energy that AKL has IMO. SSR was relaxing and I enjoyed being able to walk to DTD and take the boat transportation but when I stayed at AKL it was jaw dropping "Wow, Disney does this really well!" I think if I were taking friends the first time around I would stay at AKL - but if I were needing lots of space and I was with people who had been to Disney World a lot I might choose SSR.

we just got back from a week stay at the treehouses at SSR with 11 people, ranging from 1 to 68, and everyone loved it and wants to go back ASAP. we do want to try the main part of the resort but the thing we and especially the kids loved: yummy food options and easels for the kids to draw on (a tiny thing that made our DS super happy), the TWO zero entry pools and THREE kids splash areas, surrey bike rides, and DTD!!!
you'll have a great time regardless of your choice.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

And of course, no animals unless you count the ubiquitous ducks in the water and lizards in the underbrush.

Which will, almost certainly, be incredibly fascinating to a 4 year old!

Although we had to move from our first room (horrid mildew smell throughout the 2 bedroom that even the unsensitive people in our party were bothered by) and we had seemingly unending issues with checkin, staying checked in, and a 2 hour process to put charging on our account....we liked the *resort*. LOVED the Paddock pool (except for DH, who was at the front desk dealing with the charging issue) and slide. They had fun activities at the pool.

You can always go to the public areas of Jambo and Kidani and look out their enormous windows to see the more exotic animals. We were at Kidani 2 weeks ago and saw nothing more exciting than a bird. OK so one of the birds was an ostrich, but still, it wasn't what we were hoping for. And during our first trip when we were at Jambo in a villa for a few days, we mainly saw cows. (the African cows with the enormous horns, but cows)

I know that my son is just as enamored with lizards (we spent a good 10 minutes with him taking pictures of one) as he is with zebras. And if he needs zebras in the future, we'll just head over to the public areas of the lodge, or have lunch at Sanaa or something.

I havent' stayed at SSR, but we've opted to stay at almost every other resort in disney, it seems. My first thought when you said how much you love AKL and it's the only resort you've stayed at was that you should stay at WL. I believe the architect is/was the same for both resorts, so you'll notice a similarity in the structure/lobby area. A huge convenience of the WL is it has a boat to MK. The 4 year old will love that, plus I assume you'll spend a few days at MK....so the location of WL is good for you guys. It's also one building, so there's no walking here and there to get anywhere. The pool is fun too. You would also be a short boat ride away from CR and the other monorail resorts. WL seems secluded because of all the trees around it, but in reality it's in the same general area as the monorail loop. The cost may not be what you're looking for, though. There are also villas at WL, not really sure what they entail. Just a thought....

I suppose it is a matter of taste. We weren't that impressed with AKL or the Poly. However we loved the GF, the BC and SSR. Have you ever visited SSR? It would be a shame if you booked your stay and then regretted staying there.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This! My family and I decided on a cheaper trip to POR one year after falling in live with the Polynesian. We spent 2 nights then asked for a transfer to Poly. Nothing against POR by any means. It was great and clean and pleasant! Just didn't feel right. We were pining for the Poly.

Don't spend your vacation wishing you were somewhere esle.

I loved our stay at the AKL as well as the Polynesian, Wilderness lodge and all the moderates. I was not a huge fan of SSR when I saw it the first time. It is not a great piece of architecture or theme. I walked over and it was nicer than what I expected. A couple years ago we stayed there for a week and it was really relaxing. All the white picket fences and wide open spaces were wonderful. We were in the Grandstand section and the pool area there really felt a bit like going back in time.
No it doesn't quite compare with many of the other themed resort at WDW but it is very nice. I guess it is a matter of if the savings is worth it to you.

Let me give it to you straight:

You may as well stay off site if you are going to stay at Saratoga springs. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is superior in every way. It's closer to the Disney theme parks. It has massive 850 square foot impeccably clean and beautifully decorated rooms with large balconies, full kitchen, laundry, and a jaccuzzi tub for $90 or less per night. It also offers beautiful high rise views of Disney property, themed pools, miniature golf, a lazy river, and is adjacent to the waldorf and hilton as well as the wyndham grand hotel which offer great food, spas, and ambiance. Transportation to/from all parks is included.

So why would you pay 3-5 times as much to stay at saratoga springs? To get ripped off by the Disney Dining Plan that forces you to eat until you want to puke to get your money's worth? To get magical express service and be stuck with Disney transportation instead of renting a car for $10 a day?

I adore everything about Disney but Saratoga Springs is the worst Disney has to offer- a cheap way to build a large resort to cash in from the massively overpriced Disney Vacation Club.

Old Key West has much more charm and appeal as well as significantly larger rooms for the same price. If staying at a Disney Hotel is your only option- stay there. Otherwise if you're going to pay Disney prices stay somewhere special. I'd rather stay at the art of animation or heck POP Century so I at least feel like I'm paying Disney prices for a Disney experience.

There is a difference in not liking a theme and saying there is no theme. Many label SSR as not having a theme when in fact I think they simply don't recognize it. The theme of Saratoga Springs, NY is spot on.

Is it boring, absolutely not. There is plenty to do. Beautiful pools, actually more than many DVC resorts. Great location, central to all things at WDW. A spa, not sure when you are going but they are doing a rehab at the Spa right now, so it might not be open.

One of the best counter service restaurants on the property. Daily activities at the Community Hall for kids, golf, tennis courts, bikes to rent, movies at the pool.

Walking distance to Downtown Disney. In fact there is more to do at SSR than AKL.

Both are great resorts, just very different. However if you are the type that prefers lobby hotels with interior hallways, then yes SSR probably won't appeal to you.

I do think 3 adults and a child in any studio will be disappointing. Simply two crowded for my comfort level.

There is a difference in not liking a theme and saying there is no theme. Many label SSR as not having a theme when in fact I think they simply don't recognize it. The theme of Saratoga Springs, NY is spot on.

Is it boring, absolutely not. There is plenty to do. Beautiful pools, actually more than many DVC resorts. Great location, central to all things at WDW. A spa, not sure when you are going but they are doing a rehab at the Spa right now, so it might not be open.

One of the best counter service restaurants on the property. Daily activities at the Community Hall for kids, golf, tennis courts, bikes to rent.

Walking distance to Downtown Disney. In fact there is much more to do at SSR than AKL.

Both are great resorts, just very different.

1. It just so happens that every hampton inn, drury inn, ramada inn, strip mall, and american neighborhood built in the last 20 years also nails that "saratoga springs" theme. As in, it's not so much of a theme as it suburban architecture. "Suburbanite Springs." Seriously every new apartment complex I see reminds me of saratoga springs.

2. There is so much to do at saratoga springs. First of all you can go to the pool. Did I mention there are pools? Pools. Oh and you can eat at a restaurant. That really sets it head and shoulders above just about every resort on the planet I must say.

3. There's a spa. Forget that it's usually ranked as the most overpriced spa with the poorest service in the disney area. There is hope for the refurb though.

4. Great location. Well, yeah it's the closest Disney resort to the airport and the resort that is farther from the theme parks than all of the other resorts. It's close to Downtown Disney, because you need another place to buy the same merchandise you see at every single park every single day of your vacation.

5. Golf, tennis courts, and bikes. We've got this stuff in our neighborhood at home too. People go to Disney to sit on the beach and watch fireworks and get transported out of suburban boredom.

I think it's time people stop making excuses for Saratoga Springs. If it was $99 a night it'd be just fine. It's more like $400 a night. And it's a darn shame!

1. It just so happens that every hampton inn, drury inn, ramada inn, strip mall, and american neighborhood built in the last 20 years also nails that "saratoga springs" theme. As in, it's not so much of a theme as it suburban architecture. "Suburbanite Springs." Seriously every new apartment complex I see reminds me of saratoga springs.

2. There is so much to do at saratoga springs. First of all you can go to the pool. Did I mention there are pools? Pools. Oh and you can eat at a restaurant. That really sets it head and shoulders above just about every resort on the planet I must say.

3. There's a spa. Forget that it's usually ranked as the most overpriced spa with the poorest service in the disney area. There is hope for the refurb though.

4. Great location. Well, yeah it's the closest Disney resort to the airport and the resort that is farther from the theme parks than all of the other resorts. It's close to Downtown Disney, because you need another place to buy the same merchandise you see at every single park every single day of your vacation.

5. Golf, tennis courts, and bikes. We've got this stuff in our neighborhood at home too. People go to Disney to sit on the beach and watch fireworks and get transported out of suburban boredom.

I think it's time people stop making excuses for Saratoga Springs. If it was $99 a night it'd be just fine. It's more like $400 a night. And it's a darn shame!

You know it is fine you don't like it. It is also fine others do.

Have you ever been to Saratoga Springs, NY, if not do some research, Disney did.

As to location, SSR and OKW are the most centrally located resorts to all Disney parks, fact. You can research that too. So no you are wrong in that it is the furthest resort from all parks.

We have DVC so no we are not paying $400 a night. I don't feel any Disney resort is worth that.

Golf, tennis courts and bikes, many do not have that at home so for them it is a fun activity.

You know it is fine you don't like it. It is also fine others do.

Have you ever been to Saratoga Springs, NY, if not do some research, Disney did.

As to location, SSR and OKW are the most centrally located resorts to all Disney parks, fact. You can research that too. So no you are wrong in that it is the furthest resort from all parks.

We have DVC so no we are not paying $400 a night. I don't feel any Disney resort is worth that.

Golf, tennis courts and bikes, many do not have that at home so for them it is a fun activity.

Of course it's fine, everyone can like best whatever they want and that's wonderful. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about saratoga springs that it's incredibly unique or special in the same way other Disney Resorts can be.

I'd dispute the central location. The swan and dolphin, boardwalk inn, beach club, yacht club, and carribean beach are all more centrally located. The boardwalk inn allows you to walk to epcot and hollywood studios, and is closer to the magic kingdom and animal kingdom than saratoga springs is. Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are praised for different reasons, but location is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter