Is refillable mug worth it?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by jediranger3, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jediranger3

jediranger3 Disney and Universal Veteran

We'll be staying 7 nights in June at ASMu. I have to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. How much is the mug? If it's under $20 I think it would be worth it. I would take a cheap coffee maker, but I don't think it's allowed. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PictureJumpr

PictureJumpr At Least 'til it Rains

I haven't bought one in a while, but I think they're somewhere in the $16 range.

That being said, the coffee available to fill them with is Nescafe - not real, brewed coffee but rather syrup added to hot water to produce a coffee-flavored beverage.

I know I may be mixed up, since we've stayed in literally every single resort on property, but I remember many of them having little, "motel" style coffee makers in the rooms already; just can't say for certain if ASMu is one of them. I don't think they are specifically prohibited, in the way that curling irons and such are not prohibited - open flame is a no-no but I think a small coffee maker would be fine. The question is, do you need to bring one, or is one already going to be there (so all you'd need would be the coffee)?

4. kashzan

kashzan Earning My Ears

The all star resorts do not have coffee makers. Boy I wish they did. i just returned from my annual trip
    19 years in a row, and already looking forward to next January's trip

5. parkhopping

parkhopping DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

If you like real coffee, you should absolutely bring your own coffee maker. The next time I stay at a value I will definitely bring my Keurig.

6. lynypixie

lynypixie Mouseketeer

It's worth it if it comes with the package. We wouldn't buy it if it was not.

7. MADnNOLA

MADnNOLA DIS Veteran

No longer true. Joffrey's Coffee is now replacing all Nescafe in QS and TS restaurants (in addition to the kiosks already in place in the parks) :thumbsup2

8. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

We never found the refillable mugs to be "worth it". They really don't hold a lot of beverage. By the time you got back to your room it would be empty again. Its also a pain to carry around if you are going anywhere else. However, if its just pool time you have in mind then it may work for you since they seem to have refill stations near most of the feature pools.

9. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Coffee is over $2 per cup, and I'm not sure if you can refill that while you're eating breakfast. (I don't like it enough to refill it, LOL, IF I even get it) If you're drinking coffee from the food court every morning, it's going to add up to be worth it.

Plus, at the end of the stay, it's a souvenir.

That said, we don't tend to buy them. I bought one as a souvenir (and a "do I like the coffee" check) at AS Sports once, and we were given mugs on this stay as part of compensation for issues galore. Other than that we've never bought them.

We bring our own coffee if there's a coffeemaker, or I wait until I get to the parks to get an iced latte, etc.

But if you're not going to do those things, and you ARE going to get your caffeine fix, it can be worth it.

10. ars0525

ars0525 DIS Veteran

We went in November (ASMu) & my mom got a mug for herself & my father cause just the cost of coffee for 5 mornings made it worth it she decided. Plus they got to drink pop or whatever at night when we came back.

11. Crystal824

Crystal824 DIS Veteran

We think they are worth it if we are going to be there more than 6 nights. Like you, DH and I have to have our coffee in the morning. He will usually go fill them up and bring it back to the room for us to drink while getting ready and having breakfast. I think the mugs are about $15. We also tend to fill them up after coming back from the parks with soda. If we are on a shorter trip, we don't get them because they are not worth it. If you have a lot of character breakfasts or other sit-down breakfasts, that also might factor in to whether they are worth it to you.

I think a small coffee is like $3 a cup so it can really add up over the course of a trip.

12. StillWorldlyWise

StillWorldlyWise Earning My Ears

They are high but I think they are still a good deal. You get free refills for life and it is easy to refill them at whatever resort pool you are trying out that day.

13. MADnNOLA

MADnNOLA DIS Veteran

Not so. The mug is only good for the current visit and only for your current resort.

This is covered in the sticky on this subject.

Although some people may be doing this, in the near future this won't be possible. The mugs are to have and RFID chip in the bottom of them and if it is past your stay dates and resort, the machines will not refill the mugs.

14. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

We love ours. But I tend to go to the restaurant in the morning while my kids are still sleeping. Between coffee and tea I get my money's worth.

My sons enjoy the soda, because we don't drink it in real life.

15. baboo800

baboo800 Earning My Ears

ive been using the same mug at resorts and nobodys batted an eyelid.im probably up about 8/900 dollars at this stage

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

16. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

Probably why they are RFIDing the cups and drink stations

17. AuroraMeansDawn

AuroraMeansDawn DIS Veteran

For us it depends on how close we are to the food court. When we're at POFQ and the food court is a short walk it's totally worth it because mama loves her diet coke. When we were at Saratoga Springs I didn't use it so much. It's too small to fill up and sip on for long.

18. MADnNOLA

MADnNOLA DIS Veteran

As from the Refillable Mug Sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447967

Can I refill them at the parks? Other restaurants? Waterparks? Other Resorts?

No, typically speaking they can be refilled at the resort where you bought them and that’s about it. Waterparks do offer a refillable mug but it’s a different mug and it has to be purchased at the waterpark. You cannot refill these at the parks or other restaurants for free. Of course, if you wish to purchase a regular soda, water, whatever at the parks and put it in your refillable mug… that’s no probski.

Generally, the resort mugs aren’t very convenient for going to other resorts or the parks with. They tend to be a big bulky for touring and also tend to tip over easily even on a food service tray.. if you’re not careful.

That said, I have no clue how Disney would ever know if you took one to a neighboring resort and filled up while there.

But when I bought my mug they told me it was good forever? Was I lied to?

Maybe. Depends on when you bought your mug. General rule of thumb is that if you bought before 2000 or 1999 these may well be the ‘forever’ mugs. Otherwise, yeah, you were lied to. Look on the side of your mug for printing if you’re unsure.

Darg-nab-it, I was told I could bring them back and I’m gonna bring them back.. I didn’t see any sign when I bought mine that said I couldn’t! I spent thousands of dollars on this trip to Disney, do they really care if I bring the mug back a few times?

Ultimately.. it IS your vacation and you are free to do as you wish.

The policies as Disney has outlined them are above. You may be approached by a cast member if your mug is obviously very old or outdated. Or, in all likelihood, you might not be. Disney has definitely taken a very lazy approach to managing the policies relating to the mugs.

19. JeannieKY

JeannieKY Tink fan

I use mine at home all year. They are a cute souvenir, hold up in the dishwasher on the top rack, and help me save $ while at Disney.(We stay in the values close to the food court.). Best value at Disney IMO! Get the mug!

20. Masonmj84

Masonmj84 DIS Veteran

Not a huge fan of the mugs but we're not coffee drinkers, have always gone in the winter (when cold beverages aren't as appealing), and have always gone on the DxDP (so don't need to add extra empty soda calories to the already massive overeating).

Under those circumstances about the only thing they're potentially useful for is to fill with ice water for drinking in the parks. But they tend to leak very easily and, as mentioned above, don't hold that much. So they're not even very good for that.

They do make sort of a cute souvenir, I guess.

21. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Relax- I'm pretty sure the poster was joking. And I don't know about the RFID chip in the cup thing either- the test run they did at the AS resort was over a year ago and nothing more has been heard about it. People get their knickers in a twist so easily on this subject.