Is pin trading still big & if so, are the lanyards still worn?

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by oliver30, Jun 20, 2007.

1. oliver30

oliver30 Earning My Ears

We were at Disney World 3 years ago and my daughters each got a lanyard and several pins. They're excited to bring them again when we leave on Saturday but I'm wondering if pin-trading is still a big thing or not.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SavvyMom

SavvyMom <font color=orange>It's my gig, what can I say

We just got back. Yes, CMs are all wearing pins to trade and there are just as many pins for sale as there were the last time we went (in 2004). Have fun!!!!

4. doctorhead

doctorhead Mouseketeer

i don't see as many people wearing pins now as when i went 4 years ago. when we go, we still sport ours proudly. we have about 4 lanyards worth of pins. so it gets a little heavy on the neck.

5. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

jeeze I sure hope so!! Last October, when DW and I went down alone for our "adult" trip, we bought a lanyard w/ pins for DS1, DS2 and DD for our trip in March 2008!!! I'd hate to think it would phase out before that.

That being said, it seems to be big business at WDW, I can't imagine they would get rid of it.

6. 2Pirates_1Princess

2Pirates_1Princess Mouseketeer

It is still huge at Disney. You can't turn around without bumping into a pin store. My boys had a great time doing this. I wished I had brought them more pins to trade.

7. Mimmy Mouse

Mimmy Mouse Mouseketeer

Do you buy the pins anywhere else other than at WDW? Looking for some ones that aren't as expensive that the grandkids can trade. Thanks!

8. doctorhead

doctorhead Mouseketeer

look on ebay. people will sell a random assortment (~20) for really cheap. they will probably cost you around $2/pin. that's better than if you just bought them at the park for between $6.95-$10.95/pin. you could get the pins on ebay and then trade them for ones you like when you go to WDW.

9. PinballTrojan

PinballTrojan Earning My Ears

Help me out. I'm going for my first trip in October, how does the pin thing work. You can trade pins with CM's, do they just automatically give them to you or what?

10. doctorhead

doctorhead Mouseketeer

they definitely do not give them out for free. there are kiosks all over WDW where you can purchase the pins. they start off in price at $6.95/pin. after you purchase some pins, you can trade them w/ cast members who wear them on lanyards around their necks. you can also buy pin trading starter kits that come w/ a lanyard and around 5 pins. these are a little cheaper and are great for trading.

11. PinballTrojan

PinballTrojan Earning My Ears

Got it. thanks for clarifying.

12. lpizzuro123

lpizzuro123 DIS Veteran

Yes, CM still wear lanyards but they also wear something attached to their belt. It is like a 6 x 6 piece of black board clipped to their belt and they keep their pins on them. Wearing lanyards, especially in the summer, gets really hot. Maybe that is why they now also have these other things. The only problem with them is you can not see them as easily - especially if they are behind a counter. I would generally check out a lanyard while waiting in line but now you can't see them as easily.

Linda

13. Pure Diz Addict

Pure Diz Addict Earning My Ears

I'm happy to say pin trading at the parks is bigger and better than ever, with a wide variety of pins to choose from. :goodvibes

14. doctorhead

doctorhead Mouseketeer

the only thing that upsets me about the way that pins are now is that they are making lots of pins w/ the same characters on them while there are still many characters that i cannot find. while at WDW, i can find tons of stitch, mickey, goofy, etc. there are stitch doing this and stitch doing that. that's fine, but i would like to just see some pins w/ just characters on it. for example, last time i was at WDW, i could not find a regular aladdin pin. there was a genie and jasmine, but no aladdin.

15. Pure Diz Addict

Pure Diz Addict Earning My Ears

doctor head has a very good point, yet while they ARE making to many of certain characters, they are also making many original limited edition pins

16. doctorhead

doctorhead Mouseketeer

i like the lion king. the only pins i ever see from that movie are baby simba and rafiki. i wouldn't mind having a hyena pin or mufasa. i also thought they didn't put out many good finding nemo pins. i'm sure they're available somewhere. i just didn't see them while at WDW.

17. WDWCastMember

WDWCastMember Mouseketeer

And if you see a CM with a lanyard don't forget that we trade too! Just ask us! :thumbsup2