Is pin trading still big & if so, are the lanyards still worn?

oliver30

Earning My Ears
We were at Disney World 3 years ago and my daughters each got a lanyard and several pins. They're excited to bring them again when we leave on Saturday but I'm wondering if pin-trading is still a big thing or not.

Thanks!

We just got back. Yes, CMs are all wearing pins to trade and there are just as many pins for sale as there were the last time we went (in 2004). Have fun!!!!

i don't see as many people wearing pins now as when i went 4 years ago. when we go, we still sport ours proudly. we have about 4 lanyards worth of pins. so it gets a little heavy on the neck.

We were at Disney World 3 years ago and my daughters each got a lanyard and several pins. They're excited to bring them again when we leave on Saturday but I'm wondering if pin-trading is still a big thing or not.

Thanks!

jeeze I sure hope so!! Last October, when DW and I went down alone for our "adult" trip, we bought a lanyard w/ pins for DS1, DS2 and DD for our trip in March 2008!!! I'd hate to think it would phase out before that.

That being said, it seems to be big business at WDW, I can't imagine they would get rid of it.

It is still huge at Disney. You can't turn around without bumping into a pin store. My boys had a great time doing this. I wished I had brought them more pins to trade.

Do you buy the pins anywhere else other than at WDW? Looking for some ones that aren't as expensive that the grandkids can trade. Thanks!

Do you buy the pins anywhere else other than at WDW? Looking for some ones that aren't as expensive that the grandkids can trade. Thanks!

look on ebay. people will sell a random assortment (~20) for really cheap. they will probably cost you around $2/pin. that's better than if you just bought them at the park for between $6.95-$10.95/pin. you could get the pins on ebay and then trade them for ones you like when you go to WDW.

Help me out. I'm going for my first trip in October, how does the pin thing work. You can trade pins with CM's, do they just automatically give them to you or what?

they definitely do not give them out for free. there are kiosks all over WDW where you can purchase the pins. they start off in price at $6.95/pin. after you purchase some pins, you can trade them w/ cast members who wear them on lanyards around their necks. you can also buy pin trading starter kits that come w/ a lanyard and around 5 pins. these are a little cheaper and are great for trading.

Yes, CM still wear lanyards but they also wear something attached to their belt. It is like a 6 x 6 piece of black board clipped to their belt and they keep their pins on them. Wearing lanyards, especially in the summer, gets really hot. Maybe that is why they now also have these other things. The only problem with them is you can not see them as easily - especially if they are behind a counter. I would generally check out a lanyard while waiting in line but now you can't see them as easily.

Linda

I'm happy to say pin trading at the parks is bigger and better than ever, with a wide variety of pins to choose from. :goodvibes

the only thing that upsets me about the way that pins are now is that they are making lots of pins w/ the same characters on them while there are still many characters that i cannot find. while at WDW, i can find tons of stitch, mickey, goofy, etc. there are stitch doing this and stitch doing that. that's fine, but i would like to just see some pins w/ just characters on it. for example, last time i was at WDW, i could not find a regular aladdin pin. there was a genie and jasmine, but no aladdin.

doctor head has a very good point, yet while they ARE making to many of certain characters, they are also making many original limited edition pins

i like the lion king. the only pins i ever see from that movie are baby simba and rafiki. i wouldn't mind having a hyena pin or mufasa. i also thought they didn't put out many good finding nemo pins. i'm sure they're available somewhere. i just didn't see them while at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter