Is my signature ok??

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
All I changed was adding another countdown timer, BUT I also removed a non-WISH-diet clip art that I had. (It did have to do with the DIS boards, it was a clip art from a bunch of us DIS cruisers, but it's not "official" WISH clip art, so I deleted it so I won't go over the 3 clip art limit!)

Anyway, just checking, because I'd hate to lose my signature, I've put a lot of effort into it :)

Just let me know if anything needs to be changed! :)

Thanks!

Thanks for asking. We appreciate those users who try to stay within board guidelines.

We understand that getting your signature just 'right' can be a lot of work.

Unfortunately you are out of guidelines in a couple of places. For a refresher, the guidelines are:

Your graphics may not exceed 550 pixels in width in total and or 200 pixels in height individually.

There is a limit of 3 graphics, including countdowns, but not including smilies.

Clipart may not exceed a cumulative size of 50,000 bytes (50k)

You may have up to 12 lines of text maximum in your signature inclusive of any code required to post your selected graphics

It looks like you're running about 16 lines of text, four graphics (3-countdowns and 1 photo), and your photo is oversized at (400x300 pixels).

One thing some users are doing to keep the line count down is to combine their trips on one line. Changing the line item colors helps distinguish between the trips. That way what might be a dozen or more lines going down, will display as 3 or 4 lines when going across.

You appear OK with total file size, running about 36K total, and that will be less when you eliminate one of the countdowns and reduce the photo size.

If you need any specific help, feel free to post back.

Note that the intent of the signature guidelines is to reduce the amount of 'vertical real estate' someone's signature takes so others don't have to scroll down a lot just to get from post to post. It's much better to go horizontal rather than vertical.

Caskbill said:
Thanks for asking. We appreciate those users who try to stay within board guidelines.

We understand that getting your signature just 'right' can be a lot of work.

Unfortunately you are out of guidelines in a couple of places. For a refresher, the guidelines are:

It looks like you're running about 16 lines of text, four graphics (3-countdowns and 1 photo), and your photo is oversized at (400x300 pixels).

One thing some users are doing to keep the line count down is to combine their trips on one line. Changing the line item colors helps distinguish between the trips. That way what might be a dozen or more lines going down, will display as 3 or 4 lines when going across.

You appear OK with total file size, running about 36K total, and that will be less when you eliminate one of the countdowns and reduce the photo size.

If you need any specific help, feel free to post back.

Note that the intent of the signature guidelines is to reduce the amount of 'vertical real estate' someone's signature takes so others don't have to scroll down a lot just to get from post to post. It's much better to go horizontal rather than vertical.

Hi Bill, thanks for the comments and info. I have a couple of questions:

I only see 12 lines of text. Am I missing something?? I have 2 lines of text above my family picture, then 7 lines of text that contain our past and future trips, and then if you include the test that I wrote above each of the 3 count down timers, thats a total of 12. Where are you seeing the other lines??

As for my pic..... Is there any way that you can resize it for me, or is this something that I have to do??

As for the graphics, I guess I'll have to remove 1 of my countdown timers :( But I understand the need for limits.

Thanks again, Bill! I'll check back in a bit, for your reply :sunny:

P.S. Is it a better idea to go with those text-only countdowns that some people have, instead of the ones that I have, that have the graphics???

EDITED TO ADD: P.P.S. I just changed one of my graphic countdowns to a text-only countdown. Does this take care of the graphic and text lines issue? Does this leave only the issue of the size of the pic?? thanks!

SeaSpray said:
.....I only see 12 lines of text. Am I missing something?? I have 2 lines of text above my family picture, then 7 lines of text that contain our past and future trips, and then if you include the test that I wrote above each of the 3 count down timers, thats a total of 12. Where are you seeing the other lines??

As for my pic..... Is there any way that you can resize it for me, or is this something that I have to do??

The code for any graphic also counts as a line. You had 12 text lines, 1 photo, and 3 countdowns, for a total of 16 lines. When the signature guidelines specify lines of text, it really means lines of code text in the raw signature, not lines of text in the display. Note that even blank lines count as a line. When you develop your signature, everytime you hit the 'return' key, you have entered one line of code, be it a link to a photo, homepage, or text.

I resized your photo for you and put it in your family album on the DIS photopost site.

The text only countdown is still a graphic. It is not actually text. If you righrt click on it and select properties, you'll see it's a graphic. So it counts both toward a line in the signature and also as an image.

The one thing making your signature so tall is all the smiles, since they take up more 'height' than a regular line.

Bill: Thanks so much for resizing my picture, I really appreciate :)

Ok, so I basically understand what you're saying as far as lines, text, and graphics go. Even a blank line still counts as a line, whether it has text in it or not, right?? And my new "text" (which you explained really is a graphic) countdown timer is no better than the original one I had, right?

So... at this point, can you tell me what I still need to change? Do I still have too many lines??

Thanks for your patience, Bill :wave2:

Well, I count 15 lines which includes 4 graphics, which is 3 lines too high and one too many graphic.

But we're talking guidelines and I see you're really trying. I think if you just redid your vacation recap lines so they wrap, then you'll be in good shape. Looks like two of your countdowns are going to end in about a month anyway so I'd let them go till then, but only add one more at that time if you want so you stay at 3 images total.

Here's what I'd do for the vacations, something like this, which helps the vertical real estate, which is the real goal for signature guidelines, and cuts down your total line count.

Disney Magic *cabin 6042, DSs in 6043* August '06 {Cruisin' Castaways & 8/28/04 Reunion Cruise!!} - Hard Rock Hotel & Polynesian or Contemporary Tower *before & after our August '06 cruise!* - Wilderness Lodge Concierge/Polynesian Lagoon Concierge July '05 - Disney Magic 10-night Hurricane Cruise Aug. '04 *cabin 6042* {The verandah was SO worth it!} - Royal Caribbean Bermuda Cruise '03/Caribbean Beach '02 - Grand Floridian Lagoon & Castle View/Caribbean Beach '01 - DisneyLand '95, WDW offsite '85,'78,'76

Ok just wrapped those lines. How is this now?? :blush: Thanks for letting the countdowns stay, like you said, I'll be back from Disney World in a month and I'll remove that one, and the same thing a couple of weeks later for the Jersey Shore one.

Thanks so much for all your help Bill! :love2:

Not that it matters, but I am "PROUD" of you for asking/doing , it would be nice if more did it. :cool1:

Can I be the sig nazi, hehehe. JK :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter