Is Mickey a Captain or a Jedi? Both! - May '15 Land & Sea ~ Updated 6/14: Trip Report Started!

To be honest, I don't really understand most of the SWW stuff (not a big fan - don't tell DH!), but I'm glad that you have your information now and can solidify your plans a bit more!
I'm not really a Star Wars person either (don't hate it or anything, but just don't particularly care), so no worries! :goodvibes It's basically a special parade, talk shows with the celebrity guests, special fireworks, character meets, and character meals. But Disney is just so SLOW in releasing the details!

That is too bad for Dug about the training/retreat. Bummer! But, you guys are going to have so much fun!!
I keep reminding him that he will be having more fun than they are. But it's really bothering him when people say, "We should talk about such-and-such at the conference, since EVERYONE is going to be there!" :sad2: He doesn't want to be left out.

The updated schedule looks great- and awesome to grab the FP's and know a bit more. That has to be such a pain waiting until what? 6 weeks out? to get the details. Ugh! Sounds like a great plan though.
It's such a crazy pain! Today is 1 month and 1 week out and they just released even more trip-changing info yesterday/today! :eek:

That is really too bad about Dug's work thing, because you had mentioned a couple times hoping for a DL trip around his next conference - but your May trip really will be awesome and hopefully he won't be disappointed by then.
Well, this was just his team's retreat that got cancelled, so he still should have his all-company retreat in November. That's the one we're hoping for, but location's not certain yet. Last year, it was in Palm Springs (and he flew there from Hawaii) and they liked it so much they talked about returning to the same place. We'll see...

Love how excited Izzy is! I love how our kids KNOW the rides, and are already excited for them. They are going to know these parks like the back of their hands as they grow up visiting them. So cool!
They sure are! That's right, I forgot to say how she tells people that she's going to ride "Goofy's roller coaster". :thumbsup2

Oh finally they released that info for you! :scared: I found it so annoying how long it was taking!
All this waiting is just too much for us planners! :faint:

Looks like you left enough flexablity to make everyone happy on this trip and let Dug get to his SWW events!
Maybe even moreso now...:rolleyes1

What a pain about Dugs work changing the work trips. I hated that when that sort of thing happens! Oh well, it all works out for a reason right?
So cute Izzy is getting excited! It just gets more fun from here, with the kiddos understanding the magic and fun!:wizard:
Definitely a pain about the work trips. I love how Izzy "gets it", though.

Wow! I'm glad that you were prepared and it worked out. But that's just how it always seems to happen. They drop something on you by surprise when you're too busy to deal with it.:faint:
And they just did it AGAIN!!! :eek: Coming up.

::yes:: I would hate to see your MDE account right about now. :crazy2: :rotfl:
I keep finding ADRs I forgot I had...:rotfl:

No. But I do have a headache now. :rotfl2: Seriously though, impressive planning. You really are maximizing Dug's experience at SWW.
Trying to! It's so hard to plan the SWW stuff, though.

Good luck with that... :rolleyes1
Ha, thanks. Maybe he will want to come look at the Dream? :confused3

Ah... that stinks! I'm sure you'll all have a great time and he'll love SWW, but that's a shame that he is going to miss out on some work events.
He's really annoyed about missing out, since he asked and got permission and assurance there wouldn't be any conflict. After the whole Hawaii thing last time, he feels like this is a pattern. But I think we're just really unlucky with timing. :sad1:

I love that!!!! DS was the same way before our last trip. I love seeing the excitement build now that he gets it and understands what we're going to do!
It's so different to have a tiny person that is in on your planning!

And on an unrelated side note... I'm at work, but we have a TV on. It is on ESPN and they just did the starting line ups for the Yankees game to Star Wars music. It really set the perfect tone for reading this update. :rotfl:
Very appropriate! But are you a Yankees fan?! :eek: :rotfl:

This is the one show I would have liked to see. Ah well maybe another year. Not sure I would have given up my mother's day in the parks for it anyways! :rotfl2:
I might actually see this one. To be determined... Very cool that you get Mother's Day in the parks! :thumbsup2

Good luck!
Thanks!

It does get exciting when the littles start to really understand things doesn't it? :thumbsup2
Love it!

Hooray that you were able to finalize your SWW plans! :yay: I'm impressed (although not surprised!) that you had a spreadsheet ready to go for the moment the schedule was released!
Gotta be ready to snatch up all the good stuff! :rotfl2:

As a SWW veteran, how early would you recommend grabbing a spot for the parade? We'll be there on Sunday May 31st, and although the SWW festivities are not our top priority, it may be fun to see the parade. Do you know a particular viewing spot that's better than others, or will anywhere along the parade route work?
We only went the once, back in 2010, so I don't remember a lot. I know that the SWW thread has some recommendations in the first post: http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-star-wars-weekends-thread-tips-and-tricks-2015.3324422/
I'm not sure of the best spot, but try to find a shady place, if you can. Depending on how good of a view you want, you may want to line up early-ish. We grabbed Starring Rolls to eat while we waited last time.

I'm thrilled that Dug will be able to immerse himself in the SWW festivities! It's a bummer about his work trip, but at least he gets to enjoy a great trip with his family. I think meeting Warwick Davis would be fun (although I know him more from Harry Potter than Star Wars! :laughing:). I hope that works out if Dug decides to go for the meet!
Thanks! He's going to geek out on this trip! :lmao: He knows it is more important to spend the time with family vs. the work trip, but he wishes he could do both. Warwick Davis sounds pretty cool. I know that last time I really enjoyed Ray Park, as I knew him from Heroes (he's there a later weekend this year).

Re-Imagined!

So, you know all that stuff I’ve said so far about our WDW/SWW plans? ::yes:: Well, forget all that! :eek: Okay, maybe not all of it, but Disney decided to surprise us yet again and drastically change our “finalized” plans. :faint:

Many people on the Star Wars Weekends thread have been anxiously awaiting the release of the Feel the Force Premium Package. :hyper: Last year, this package was very similar to the Frozen package I did on my last trip: special area for the parade with drinks/snacks and a fireworks dessert party. As much fun as the Frozen one was, Dug and I couldn’t justify doing this, as we’d have to pay for both of us (Izzy still free) and we felt we’d be able to view the parade and fireworks in decent spots on our own. But, like any good Disney planner, I caught up on the SWW thread over lunch yesterday – and found it had grown by a couple dozen pages since that morning! :faint: The FtF package had been opened for booking (but had not been posted anywhere by Disney). I didn’t think much of it, as our plans were all set, but decided to read up on the details anyway. :rolleyes1

There were two packages. One was basically what I just described, but also included a Fast Pass for one show to be selected at check-in that morning (first come, first served). That was $69. The second one, the Deluxe Premium Package, included the same stuff, plus access to Darth’s Mall (shopping) with no line, plus the opportunity to walk behind the parade, and most amazingly, priority seating to ALL SWW shows that day (without needing to use your Tier 1 FP+). That was $99.

Well, that sounded pretty cool and the access to the shows was totally unexpected. Just to give you a reference point, the $400 VIP Star Wars Day Package only includes priority seating to 2 shows and a FP+ for a third (but some days have 4-5 shows). The value of the Deluxe Premium FtF seemed very high, despite the price tag. I didn’t know what to think, but texted Dug (I was at work and needed to get back to month-end madness) and told him to call and book us if the cancellation policy was the same as with the Frozen package (1 day before). I told him to get the Deluxe Premium for himself to see the shows and the Premium for me (and Izzy) to join him for the parade and fireworks, if they were at a shared location. I knew the packages would go quickly, so I wanted to have them as options and we could always think about it and cancel later. ::yes:: The best day to do it was Saturday, May 23rd.

So, I tried to keep up with the details on the thread while working and Dug called up Special Event Dining. The talk on the thread proved that CMs did not have enough details and clarity on these packages to give consistent answers. Everyone was being told different things and nobody really knew what they were purchasing, but we were all doing it anyway. :lmao: Dug got through and was able to get us booked for exactly what we had discussed. His CM went to check on the details and assured us that we’d be together for the parade and fireworks. Great! I was most concerned about the fireworks/dessert party – didn’t mind so much if we were apart for the parade. So, all good, right? ::yes::

Well, the chatter on the thread continued and people became more and more certain that our CM was wrong and that the packages do have different viewing locations. Ugh! :headache: And, of course, still nothing official posted on the Disney Parks Blog. That evening, we felt, based on reports on the SWW thread, that we’d be separated by having different packages. Dug called up to get me switched to his Deluxe Package. They told him it was sold out. :scared1: However, despite not being able to get me a new reservation, they were able to add me (and Izzy) to his. So, we did it and got on the same package with all the perks! :cool1:

So, is it worth $198 to do this? I mean, I probably won’t even go to the shows (for sure not all 4 – Izzy wouldn’t have the patience for that). And it makes for a long day. BUT, and this is the big factor for me, it frees up SO MUCH time on other days to do other parks! Instead of having to use tons of Tier 1 DHS FP+ over multiple days to see the shows without extensive line time, Dug can knock most of them out at once and be done with it. We can get more MK time. Maybe even AK (maybe!). So, I think we’re doing this. Though we’ll have to take a good, hard look at our budget and make sure we can do it (or cancel some ADRs). :teacher:

To explain a bit more about the shows, for those that don’t know: All weekends have two “regular” shows (Behind the Force and Stars of the Saga) that are talk shows featuring the guests for that weekend. Which means that Dug wants to see both of them each weekend, due to the different celebrity guests. There is another show, Obi Wan and Beyond, that takes place each weekend, but that one is the same each time (with host James Arnold Taylor, who is present all 5 weekends). Dug only needs to see that once. And, finally, our second weekend has an extra show featuring guest Warwick Davis, My Short Story: An Ewok’s Tale. Again, just seeing it once. So, this package allows Dug to do all 4 shows for the second weekend in one day without using any of our FP+. He will still have to use FP+ for 2 shows the first weekend – we switched them to the same day, one on each of our bands, to save time.

Today, Disney finally posted official information and I’m glad we switched to the same package, as we likely would have been separated before. I hate wasting all these show admissions (mine), but I still think it’s going to be worth the price to get back all that time and not have to go to DHS quite so much.

I did go through and try to re-do our schedule last night. I have a rough draft, but I don’t love it, so I’ll have to work through it some more. Even with the package, there are a lot of things tying us to DHS more days than I’d like (SWW meals, actual DHS attractions, Fantasmic package, etc). I am hoping I can improve our plan enough to make the package worth it. pixiedust:

One snag is that our Jedi Mickey dinner at Hollywood and Vine is up in the air. If you recall, we were going to try to move it to later in the day on the 23rd to not conflict with the Ewok Story show. Haven’t been able to get anything yet. However, that’s irrelevant now, as Dug will have a 4th show and then we’ll have the dessert party. There’s no time for a sit-down meal in there. We do still have two of our other Jedi Mickey’s, since no one has asked for them yet, despite me posting them twice. One is the Fantasmic package on Friday 5/15. The problem is that conflicts with Food Booth dinner at Epcot and Epcot EMH. The other is Monday 5/25. We were hoping to be using Stormalong Bay at that time. But could work, worst case scenario. For Fantasmic, we have Mama Melrose as a Fantasmic package on the 24th. I actually have both a lunch and dinner, as I don’t know what will work best for us. In an ideal world, we’d get a Jedi Mickey with Fantasmic on the 24th and cancel Mama Melrose. One actually was posted on the DIS, but only for 2 people. So close! I need to keep stalking MDE on this one. :surfweb:

Wow, I guess I had a lot more to say tonight than I thought! More to come, once we figure out what we’re doing. Here’s hoping Disney doesn’t go and change things up again! This has to be the hardest WDW trip I’ve ever planned! :headache:

Random story: I discovered today at work that I have a co-worker (one of our sales reps) that is a huge Disney fan. I had no idea. She was telling me about a big client she has in Orlando and said something about owning property there that she stays at when she goes to visit the client’s site. I asked her about it and…it’s DVC that she owns! Saratoga Springs and Grand Floridian. They just came back from WDW on Friday (and stayed at Boardwalk Villas!) They go every year and just love it. She has an AP right now too (and Tables in Wonderland). She was telling me how awesome Downtown Disney is these days. She’s also been on three Disney cruises and loved them too. So super fun to talk to her! I am surprised how many co-workers I have that are WDW fans: another accounting person (a newer hire) has taken her 6 (!!! :faint: ) kids there yearly since they were small. Our CFO is a huge fan too (he doesn’t seem like the type at all). Several others are at least casual fans. Not to mention that our daycare provider is a Disney freak too. And my former boss. I am in good company, even off the boards! (But, of course, you guys are all THE BEST! :grouphug:)

Last edited:
Isn't it fun to have WDW fans at work. I have one and we talk Disney all the time. It's so fun.

I agree with your coworker - DTD looks wonderful. Denny and I parked at congress park in SSR and walked over. It was fabulous.

Yay for getting everything nailed down with your Star War packages. I had no idea all that even existed. It sounds great. I'm sure you'll both love it. Just sorry it threw a kink in your other plans. *sigh*

How fun to work with fellow Disney fans!!! I don't have that luxury at my job... most of the time I just say I'm "going to Florida" [on vacation] to avoid the eye rolls and the "agains???" :faint: Even most of my closest friends just don't get it. :sad2: Anyway, what fun that you can talk Disney at work from time to time! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a lot of confusion over SWW stuff but glad that you got it locked in! It sounds like a lot of fun and will free up lots of time for you!!! :thumbsup2

Very appropriate! But are you a Yankees fan?! :eek: :rotfl:
Oh, heck no!!!!! :crazy2:

But I do like baseball and that was the game that was on TV at the time. The Reds are my team.

Well, forget all that! :eek: Okay, maybe not all of it, but Disney decided to surprise us yet again and drastically change our “finalized” plans. :faint:
Naturally. :sad2:

However, despite not being able to get me a new reservation, they were able to add me (and Izzy) to his. So, we did it and got on the same package with all the perks! :cool1:
Well, that's good! I'm glad that they were able to work around it for you guys.

So, is it worth $198 to do this? I mean, I probably won’t even go to the shows (for sure not all 4 – Izzy wouldn’t have the patience for that). And it makes for a long day. BUT, and this is the big factor for me, it frees up SO MUCH time on other days to do other parks! Instead of having to use tons of Tier 1 DHS FP+ over multiple days to see the shows without extensive line time, Dug can knock most of them out at once and be done with it. We can get more MK time. Maybe even AK (maybe!). So, I think we’re doing this. Though we’ll have to take a good, hard look at our budget and make sure we can do it (or cancel some ADRs). :teacher:
I hope you can make it work. It really seems like a great idea. I know it isn't cheap, but time is money... and when you're in WDW, that time becomes extra valuable. I think it is a great idea if it frees up time for other rides and other parks. Especially with Izzy being there.

I hate wasting all these show admissions (mine), but I still think it’s going to be worth the price to get back all that time and not have to go to DHS quite so much.
I wouldn't worry much about it. I mean in the broad scheme of things, it is only $30 more than you were going to spend on your original package anyway. Yeah, it stinks that you're losing out on that much of it, but for the convenience and the time it could save I think it seems reasonable.

In an ideal world, we’d get a Jedi Mickey with Fantasmic on the 24th and cancel Mama Melrose. One actually was posted on the DIS, but only for 2 people. So close! I need to keep stalking MDE on this one. :surfweb:
::yes:: Good luck!

Wow, I guess I had a lot more to say tonight than I thought! More to come, once we figure out what we’re doing. Here’s hoping Disney doesn’t go and change things up again!
Oh, I'm sure they're done throwing you curveballs... :rolleyes1 :sad2:

To get the most benefit for the package, I'd try to limit DHS to 1 other full day. So maybe 5/15 since you planned to be there that morning anyway, and already have that dinner ADR? Then work in other-park-time during the other times? Maybe another Mk day/half day and AK half day or something like that. The packages sound great though and totally worth it - that will be so fun esp for Dug!

I personally am glad to be staying away from the craziness LOL!

DTD looks great, and my last visit was really fun. I can't wait for them to finish up construction because they sure sound to be adding a LOT of great things. I'm excited for the new Boathouse restaurant to open up as well (mid April I believe). I assume you guys would much rather do T-Rex, so I think I might try for an ADR on one of my "extra" days at the Dark Side, coming back to DTD for dinner on our last night. That works out fine bc that day is up in the air anyway considering there won't be many rides at Universal I can do. Considering there's like 6 Aria can do there to begin with, and now 2 of which I can't ... universal days are going to be interesting (read: boring) esp spending THREE freaking days there. ANyway sorry for the tangent.

That is very cool about finding so many co workers who love Disney. My old Boss's boss was a huge Disney fan, wine fan, and travel lover. We loved chatting!! Unfortunately he is gone now and as far as I know, there are a few people here that "like" Disney, or maybe "put up" with it for their kids and go every 2-3 years. There's also one very loud mouthed guy who HATES Disney and refuses to let his 4 (!!) daughters do ANYTHING Disney/princess related. Hilarious bc my office is decorated with about 200 pics of Aria, most of which are from Disney hehe.

That must be so nice to have people at work that don't think you are crazy for loving Disney so much lol! And also nice to talk in person about it with people...it's great here too of course...but in person is nice as well!!

Too bad that you have to re-do some of your plans, but it sounds like things are working out for the better (although costing you more money!).

Yay for Disney fan co-workers! I had a similar experience this morning with my OB. I was letting him know that I'd be in Disney World in a couple of weeks, and he told me he's a DVC member! So fun! Although he told me to stay off Kiliminjaro Safaris when I asked him about that. :sad2:

The SWW stuff is overwhelming for me. Extra plans on top of other plans! But I'm glad Disney finally released the information and FP+!

I'm glad everything worked out FP+ wise - that's lots of details to work out! It seems like there are so many great shows for SW fans! I think we'll have to hit SWW once the boys get older. Nate loves Star Wars Rebels (we're holding off showing him the real ones) and all the LEGO Star Wars movies.

I love finding random friends to share Disney with! It makes the waiting a little easier.

Wow! That is a big change! I think having the packages will probably prove more convenient, than trying to juggle everything else. Plus that frees up so much time and FP+s

I love running into others who love Disney! Its so fun to talk Disney with other fans!

I think it was a great choice to get the Feel the Force package! I saw another person mention them and immediately thought of you guys - I think opening up your other days for possibly different parks or different attractions sounds like a great plan! :thumbsup2

I'm also glad that your family will be together for the parade, party, and fireworks! Hooray for your correct instincts! :goodvibes

Isn't it fun to have WDW fans at work. I have one and we talk Disney all the time. It's so fun.
It's really fun! I love that our CFO always comes to chat with me after we come back from a Disney trip. :thumbsup2 (Just to clarify for anyone that remembers where I work - no, not Target's CFO, our subsidiary's CFO - my boss' boss' boss).

I agree with your coworker - DTD looks wonderful. Denny and I parked at congress park in SSR and walked over. It was fabulous.
I'm so excited to see it! We haven't been there since Dec. 2013, so I'm sure it's way different now.

Yay for getting everything nailed down with your Star War packages. I had no idea all that even existed. It sounds great. I'm sure you'll both love it. Just sorry it threw a kink in your other plans. *sigh*
This has been a crazy ride to plan. :faint: Thank goodness for the big SWW thread I follow - very knowledgeable and helpful folks there. I wouldn't know what was going on without them. :thumbsup2

How fun to work with fellow Disney fans!!! I don't have that luxury at my job... most of the time I just say I'm "going to Florida" [on vacation] to avoid the eye rolls and the "agains???" :faint: Even most of my closest friends just don't get it. :sad2: Anyway, what fun that you can talk Disney at work from time to time! :thumbsup2
It is really fun! I find it's one of those things that people don't really talk a lot about until they realize they're talking to a fellow Disney fan. I mean, I've worked with this woman (not closely) for 8 years and just now found this out! I am lucky, though. I have a lot of co-workers that have been once and loved it and some that have not been but would like to go. So, generally pretty positive. But I know what you mean about people not getting it and do know people like that (Dug's dad just said the other day - "Disney? Oh, you're never been there before." [heavy sarcasm]). Back when we did our Year of Disney (5 trips in 2010), we found that it helped to tell people about the different events each time (SWW, F&W, holidays, etc.) - they seemed to "get it" much more, knowing we weren't just going to ride Dumbo again or something. :rotfl:

Sounds like a lot of confusion over SWW stuff but glad that you got it locked in! It sounds like a lot of fun and will free up lots of time for you!!! :thumbsup2
So much confusion. But overall a good thing. ::yes::

Oh, heck no!!!!! :crazy2:

But I do like baseball and that was the game that was on TV at the time. The Reds are my team.
Whew! We can still be friends! :goodvibes

Naturally. :sad2:
Disney is really messing with all the SWW fans on the DIS. :sad2:

Well, that's good! I'm glad that they were able to work around it for you guys.
I'm really glad too, as those packages seem to all be sold out now. Not surprisingly, after that, the CM on the Disney Parks Blog assured everyone that the fireworks party was indeed shared - but I don't trust them at this point, so we're keeping the deluxe package just to be sure we're together.

I hope you can make it work. It really seems like a great idea. I know it isn't cheap, but time is money... and when you're in WDW, that time becomes extra valuable. I think it is a great idea if it frees up time for other rides and other parks. Especially with Izzy being there.
Time is something I'm finding myself willing to pay a bit extra for on this trip. Which sounds ridiculous with 8 nights at WDW. But I was really having trouble fitting in things we wanted to do, as the SWW stuff was just overpowering the whole trip. I have a revised schedule now that I am much happier with. Will try to post soon.

I wouldn't worry much about it. I mean in the broad scheme of things, it is only $30 more than you were going to spend on your original package anyway. Yeah, it stinks that you're losing out on that much of it, but for the convenience and the time it could save I think it seems reasonable.
That's exactly what Dug said! :thumbsup2 I can probably swipe enough bottles of water and pop to make the $30 worth it, right? :rotfl:

::yes:: Good luck!
Thanks, I'll need it! I did manage to score a 7:55pm ADR that night. It's a bit later than I'm comfortable with for a 9pm Fantasmic, so I'm still looking, but it's better than nothing.

Oh, I'm sure they're done throwing you curveballs... :rolleyes1 :sad2:
Totally. ::yes::

To get the most benefit for the package, I'd try to limit DHS to 1 other full day. So maybe 5/15 since you planned to be there that morning anyway, and already have that dinner ADR? Then work in other-park-time during the other times? Maybe another Mk day/half day and AK half day or something like that. The packages sound great though and totally worth it - that will be so fun esp for Dug!
I really tried to limit it to just one other day. However, due to ADRs, the best I can do is three partial days. The 15th until early afternoon (Dug sees both shows), then headed to Epcot, as planned. The 17th is our Sci Fi breakfast and our chance to do TSM with FP+. Head out after lunch at Prime Time (to the MK!) Then for the dinner at H&V, I'm hoping to do it 5/24 and also do Fantasmic that night. We have Epcot that morning. Unless I can snag a H&V Fantasmic (and I'm trying) we'll have to have lunch at MM to use our Fantasmic package. We could do this on the 15th, but I'd hate to give up Food Booth dinner and Dug's EMH time at Epcot for it. I did get in a half day at AK on the 16th. And more MK time in general. I think I'm pretty happy with it, but hoping to get that H&V squared away.

I personally am glad to be staying away from the craziness LOL!
You are wise! :rotfl:

DTD looks great, and my last visit was really fun. I can't wait for them to finish up construction because they sure sound to be adding a LOT of great things. I'm excited for the new Boathouse restaurant to open up as well (mid April I believe). I assume you guys would much rather do T-Rex, so I think I might try for an ADR on one of my "extra" days at the Dark Side, coming back to DTD for dinner on our last night.
I just saw something about the Boathouse the other day. Sounds interesting. Probably sticking with T-Rex is good, as there are two dinosaur-lovers that would be sad to miss it, I'm sure. Sounds like a good plan to come back early from the Dark Side for that.

That works out fine bc that day is up in the air anyway considering there won't be many rides at Universal I can do. Considering there's like 6 Aria can do there to begin with, and now 2 of which I can't ... universal days are going to be interesting (read: boring) esp spending THREE freaking days there. ANyway sorry for the tangent.
Yeah, that's gonna be some relaxing time for you guys. :rotfl:

That is very cool about finding so many co workers who love Disney. My old Boss's boss was a huge Disney fan, wine fan, and travel lover. We loved chatting!! Unfortunately he is gone now and as far as I know, there are a few people here that "like" Disney, or maybe "put up" with it for their kids and go every 2-3 years. There's also one very loud mouthed guy who HATES Disney and refuses to let his 4 (!!) daughters do ANYTHING Disney/princess related. Hilarious bc my office is decorated with about 200 pics of Aria, most of which are from Disney hehe.
Aw, that's too bad that your chatting buddy is gone. I love that my former boss (who left before Izzy was born!) is still my email Disney friend! I love that he's a single guy, but not afraid to get excited about Disney and he's planning to go with his sister and her kids and their mom in September. He also may get an AP and take a solo trip too. Glad he has stayed in touch - it's fun to chat. Sorry your other co-workers aren't so enthusiastic. :sad2: I bet that one guy fumes if he has to walk by your pics. :rotfl: We have photo nameplates and my last two have been Disney pics (one from August and one from Aulani). Everyone says they love them (well, cute Izzy pics are hard to dislike, I guess).

That must be so nice to have people at work that don't think you are crazy for loving Disney so much lol! And also nice to talk in person about it with people...it's great here too of course...but in person is nice as well!!
I totally agree. I've been surprised how often Disney has come up with co-workers in the last year. I know a lot of people have been there. It's hard to read people sometimes, though - you can't always gauge if they're a big fan or if they're just going along with an extended family trip. I think most seem excited, though. And, of course, there are the few I know that are for sure big fans and see no issues with making many trips, even without little kids.

Too bad that you have to re-do some of your plans, but it sounds like things are working out for the better (although costing you more money!).
I was so stressed this week, trying to optimize our plans. :faint: It was like a giant puzzle to fit everything together. And I hate spending extra money, but I think it will be worth it to free up our time and our FP+. Not to mention a fun dessert party and no crowd to fight for parades and fireworks. And no waiting on line for hours for shows for Dug. :thumbsup2

Yay for Disney fan co-workers! I had a similar experience this morning with my OB. I was letting him know that I'd be in Disney World in a couple of weeks, and he told me he's a DVC member! So fun! Although he told me to stay off Kiliminjaro Safaris when I asked him about that. :sad2:
:lmao: That's awesome that your OB is a DVC owner! Not so awesome he nixed the safari, though. :sad2: Of anything, I think that is the least "dangerous". I mean, should you not drive on roads with potholes now too? They are at least as bumpy. :confused3

The SWW stuff is overwhelming for me. Extra plans on top of other plans! But I'm glad Disney finally released the information and FP+!
Overwhelming to me too. :faint:

I'm glad everything worked out FP+ wise - that's lots of details to work out! It seems like there are so many great shows for SW fans! I think we'll have to hit SWW once the boys get older. Nate loves Star Wars Rebels (we're holding off showing him the real ones) and all the LEGO Star Wars movies.
There will be plenty of Rebels related stuff, I guess. Voice actors from the show, etc. I bet he would have a great time at SWW someday!

I love finding random friends to share Disney with! It makes the waiting a little easier.
It's really pleasant to have someone around IRL who gets it and doesn't need you to justify or explain yourself! :thumbsup2

Wow! That is a big change! I think having the packages will probably prove more convenient, than trying to juggle everything else. Plus that frees up so much time and FP+s
Exactly! Big change, but I think it's worth it for those reasons. If the shows weren't included, we wouldn't be doing it.

I love running into others who love Disney! Its so fun to talk Disney with other fans!
It was such a pleasant surprise! We chatted for like half an hour, once we discovered our mutual Disney love. :goodvibes

I think it was a great choice to get the Feel the Force package! I saw another person mention them and immediately thought of you guys - I think opening up your other days for possibly different parks or different attractions sounds like a great plan! :thumbsup2
I'm glad we decided to grab that package. It makes our trip a lot more balanced than it was. And hopefully less stressful.

I'm also glad that your family will be together for the parade, party, and fireworks! Hooray for your correct instincts! :goodvibes
Of course, Disney now is saying that the fireworks party is shared. :headache: But we're just going to stick with the same package, because I don't know if I can believe them anymore.

but it was open when I looked before bed last night at like 2am!

Yikes, 2am??

So, lunch is open.

Having a meal open is fun and relaxing:thumbsup2

And if Izzy and I are still at DHS, he could hand off his Magic Band to us for the third FP+

Can CM's ever say anything to you about not wearing your assigned MB? They'll see his name pop up and notice it's a woman trying to use it, do you think they'll question it?

Garden Grove. Not to be confused with Garden Grill. :confused3

Never heard of this:confused3

We have an ADR for 6:45pm at the Garden Grove, which is in the Swalphin (and, no, I guess I don’t know which of the two). :ssst:

Ah, gotcha!

(yes, way too much fun with random smilies).

I loved seeing them! Some pretty fun ones actually!

First, just getting there – not sure if the monorail is going to be crazy – or even open that late? Hmmm, I should look into 24-hour-day transportation.

Oh my gosh, they better have all transportation running that entire day/night!

Our first FP+ is 9:05-10:05am Tower of Terror.

Calling it now. You're soooo not gonna make this:rotfl: If you do, you are downright AMAZING!

Then we have Journey Into Imagination :figment: from 10:30-11:30am. :rolleyes2 In no way do I believe this is necessary, but there really aren’t many good Tier 2 choices.

Spoiler alert: Because of FP+, we actually had to wait 15 minutes to ride this. Never thought this would ever happen but it did. I felt like standby lines were in general longer due to FP:headache:

We’ll ride some more things and my priority is to get Izzy on the Barnstomer at some point. She should be tall enough and she has been frequently telling me that she is going to ride “Goofy’s roller coaster.” I can’t wait! I hope she loves it. And, heck, I’m kind-of excited to ride something new myself! :firefight

Another spoiler alert - DS loved this ride the first time! Second time, not so much :rotfl2:

Thank goodness I had a nice Excel sheet for him to work from!

:banana:

So, if Dug does want to meet Warwick Davis (the one he’s the most interested in)

I'd imagine he's the most popular celebrity to meet. This is who i'd want to meet for sure!

Guess who is going to be in Nassau right after our cruise? Jon Bon Jovi!!!

Cool!

Izzy is excited for the trip. Her daycare provider told me that Izzy is always telling her about how she’s going to ride on Mickey’s boat and then eat in the castle. :rotfl: It’s fun that Izzy is actually looking forward to the trip and understanding the plans.

I can't wait until DS starts recalling stuff and getting excited for trips! :goodvibes

Really you're only spending $30 more right? I think it's totally worth it!:banana:

And my former boss. I am in good company, even off the boards! (But, of course, you guys are all THE BEST! :grouphug:)

Yep, don't know anyone around here like that! Jealous. I'll just stick to the DIS. These are my true peeps here :thumbsup2

Wow, even more changes - though seems like for the best in the end .... if a bit more stress for you. I think $198 is worth it for the reserved firework spot and just so dug feels like he got to everything he wanted rather than thinking he missed out on stuff .... granted, it isn't my $198 :rotfl2:

BTW - I love how Disney has a Premium package, but then that isn't enough so they had to make a Deluxe Premium package. It's like the equivalent of having amps that go to 11 (hopefully someone gets that reference)

Hope all your plans work. Good thing is that this probably isn't your last trip there so you can really focus on the Star Wars stuff. I mean, even if you had to miss something like Fantasmic! that will be there for next trip.

It's fun that you have co-workers who are into Disney you can chat with. I have a few but no one that is that into it. And worse, a few who recently had trips to WDW and hated it - so that made for some awkward conversations.

Hope that one Jedi Mickey meal comes through for you :thumbsup2

Phew, just caught up. I am right there with you on the SWW plans. I have been lurking on that thread for awhile and thank goodness because I was able to grab FPs because of it and the premium package. Looks like everything is coming together nicely :thumbsup2.

Yikes, 2am??
Ha, it was the weekend and I sometimes stay up WAY too late. Izzy is a very considerate toddler and actually lets me sleep in - she just plays with all her animals in her crib. :thumbsup2

Having a meal open is fun and relaxing:thumbsup2
Yes, and we don't have much of that on this trip. And silly me initially planned for most meals to be CS. :rotfl2:

Can CM's ever say anything to you about not wearing your assigned MB? They'll see his name pop up and notice it's a woman trying to use it, do you think they'll question it?
I doubt it. There are so many names that could be guy/girl, I don't think they'd dare question someone. I'm not sure if they even see names? :confused3 No one has ever flinched and I've used Dug's and Izzy's bands. I know it's common practice that people will swap magic bands with family members if they change their minds on a ride, etc.

Never heard of this:confused3
Ah, gotcha!
Thanks to the DIS! Otherwise, I don't think I would know what this is either!

I loved seeing them! Some pretty fun ones actually!
I'm glad you enjoyed. Here's some cake. :cake: Just because I seldom have a good excuse to use it.

Oh my gosh, they better have all transportation running that entire day/night!
I hope so! Still haven't checked into this. Though we will still have our rental car from the cruise until 8am, if we want.

Calling it now. You're soooo not gonna make this:rotfl: If you do, you are downright AMAZING!
:rotfl: Probably wishful thinking.

Spoiler alert: Because of FP+, we actually had to wait 15 minutes to ride this. Never thought this would ever happen but it did. I felt like standby lines were in general longer due to FP:headache:
Oh my gosh! :faint:
Another spoiler alert - DS loved this ride the first time! Second time, not so much :rotfl2:
Ha, I'm interested to see how Izzy will do. She tells me she wants to ride Goofy's Roller Coaster, but I'm not really sure she knows what that means.

Bananas for Excel! :rotfl:

I'd imagine he's the most popular celebrity to meet. This is who i'd want to meet for sure!
Of that weekend, I'm sure he's the biggest.

Wish I could get a FP to meet Bon Jovi. :rotfl:

I can't wait until DS starts recalling stuff and getting excited for trips! :goodvibes
It's really fun to hear her talk about our plans. It's the first time she's really done that. But everything is followed by, "Not yet!" She doesn't really understand the timeline, just knows it's not today.

Really you're only spending $30 more right? I think it's totally worth it!:banana:
Yeah, I think it's worth it, just for the peace of mind.

Yep, don't know anyone around here like that! Jealous. I'll just stick to the DIS. These are my true peeps here :thumbsup2
I am very lucky that I've run into IRL Disney folks. We lucked out with our daycare provider being a big Disney fan too. She just went to WDW for her 20th anniversary (asked me for a lot of advice, though, as she considers me the "expert", despite her being very knowledgeable).

Wow, even more changes - though seems like for the best in the end .... if a bit more stress for you. I think $198 is worth it for the reserved firework spot and just so dug feels like he got to everything he wanted rather than thinking he missed out on stuff .... granted, it isn't my $198 :rotfl2:
Yeah, I hate spending more money, but I feel like we're gaining a lot more flexibility for the trip as a whole and certainty on the SWW events.

BTW - I love how Disney has a Premium package, but then that isn't enough so they had to make a Deluxe Premium package. It's like the equivalent of having amps that go to 11 (hopefully someone gets that reference)
I know, it's ridiculous and confusing. And I didn't get your reference, but just read it to Dug and he immediately burst out laughing. :lmao: Spinal Tap.

Hope all your plans work. Good thing is that this probably isn't your last trip there so you can really focus on the Star Wars stuff. I mean, even if you had to miss something like Fantasmic! that will be there for next trip.
True, but I don't know when our next WDW trip will be at this point. And it may be awhile (more than "usual", at least). We have a strong possibility of DL in the fall and have Aulani/Hawaii booked in January, so I can't see us doing any more big trips until after that - so later in 2016 or beyond.

It's fun that you have co-workers who are into Disney you can chat with. I have a few but no one that is that into it. And worse, a few who recently had trips to WDW and hated it - so that made for some awkward conversations.
Oh no, that would be awkward conversation material. :eek: I am realizing that I've been pretty lucky with the people I see on a daily basis. I don't think there are any Disney-haters (at least, no one that's loud about it, if they are).

Hope that one Jedi Mickey meal comes through for you :thumbsup2
I hope so too. I've been checking MDE like it's my job. :rotfl:

At Disney prices, you should have no problem getting that much water and pop. :rotfl2:
Throw a few bottles in the bottom of the stroller and I'll be set! :thumbsup2

Phew, just caught up. I am right there with you on the SWW plans. I have been lurking on that thread for awhile and thank goodness because I was able to grab FPs because of it and the premium package. Looks like everything is coming together nicely :thumbsup2.
Yes, that thread is the reason I got SWW meals, FP+, and the package! They are so on top of things. Really glad I watch that one.

One Month from Today – Thursday, May 14th

So, I’m going to do something I’ve done in other PTRs that I’ve found really helpful. Each day, from now until the 26th, I’m planning to write up a post about what our day will look like one month from now. I have to admit that I’m a bit nervous about doing this, as it’s a big posting commitment and I can barely keep up with the DIS at it is. :faint: (And, on that note, my apologies to those of you who overlap me and have PTRs – I want to be reading them, but just haven’t had time – so, if you notice overlap and want to meet up, let me know :goodvibes). I find doing this exercise is helpful to me because it forces me to really visualize the day and I often find weak spots in my plans that need to be addressed. :thumbsup2

Also, on another prep note, I actually opened a suitcase tonight and started throwing things into it that we won’t need until the trip – water shoes, raincoats, swimsuits, glow sticks, etc. I’m hoping this will help make the last-minute packing easier.

So, without further ado, our plans for the travel/first day. (No photos, as I just can’t make time to dig through them – sorry):

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Our flight is around 8am out of MSP. Dug’s sister has kindly agreed to provide airport shuttle services for us, once again. She is awesome. :thumbsup2She lives close to the airport and truly enjoys helping people get to/from and allowing them to park in her driveway, in exchange for hearing about their trip right afterwards. So, we’ll probably need to leave here pretty early, maybe about 5:15am? Ugh, I hate early mornings, even if WDW is involved. :sad2: Oh, well. So, we’ll go to Dug’s sister’s house, then to the airport, and hopefully be there around 6-6:30am. We’re actually flying a different airline this time – Sun Country. Big carrier to Florida from MSP, but we just always end up on Delta. But we got free flights for all three of us (credit card offer), so Sun Country it is! :teacher: I’ve heard good things about them and like that they fly out of Terminal 2 (smaller terminal), so that should be nice for security. Hoping we’ll have time to eat breakfast at the airport, once we’re through security and waiting. I just looked it up and there appears to be a unique and good breakfast option there with Mexican breakfast food.

I’m not sure of what our luggage situation will be just yet. I’m sure we will take the stroller, with the carseat strapped to the back of it, through the airport as usual. We each get one free checked bag (including Izzy), so I think that will be adequate for most things that we don’t need to carry on with us. I am thinking about trying to pack a separate bag(s) for the cruise and leaving the others with Boardwalk Bell Services for storage until the second part of our stay, if that's allowed. So, I want enough bags to do that. We might take a small rolling carry-on if it will help with that.

I’m assuming that Izzy will stay awake for the flight, despite the early morning. We’ll probably bring the iPad and a small bag of toys and will hopefully keep her amused. The flight is just over 3 hours and we lose an hour with the time zone change, so we’ll arrive just after noon.

Our DVC rental person has arranged Magical Express for us, so we’ll head that way and hopefully be at the Boardwalk Villas quickly. We’ll check in and see if our room is ready (probably not), then stow our stuff and head to Epcot. (Which makes me think I’ll want to pack a bag for the parks in advance…:idea:) Hoping to be eating by 2pm. I think the first priority is to feed Izzy, if she’s still awake. We can improvise, but she’d be happy with the Nudel Gratin from Sommerfest in Germany or with a hot dog or something along those lines. Dug and I plan to eat from the Outdoor Kitchens of Flower & Garden. Hoping that Izzy will nap in her stroller after she eats, allowing us to wander around and enjoy World Showcase. She typically naps for about 2 hours.

Towards the end of her naptime, we’ll head over to Test Track. We have one FP+ on Dug’s band from 3:30-4:30pm and will get a Rider Swap for me. Hope it won’t be raining, so we can ride. I’m excited to ride again, as it’s been a few trips since I have (Dec. 2013, I think?)

Up next, once Izzy is awake and receptive, we’ll use our FP+ for the Character Spot. Our FP+ aren’t quite the same time, but will overlap from 4:30-5:20pm. I’m hoping this will be a good character warm-up for her. Sometimes she needs a couple meets before feeling comfortable. We’ll see how it goes – toddlers are so different from trip to trip. Assuming that goes well, we might also try to hit the Disney Visa Character Meet afterwards. :mickeyjum ::MinnieMo :goofy: (Why is there no bouncing Minnie? :confused3)

At some point this afternoon, I will need to go to Guest Services to get a Tables in Wonderland card. I have an Annual Pass (until June), so I can get one for $100. I did the math on our ADRs and it will actually pay for itself this trip. And it’s good for a year, in case we do make it back sooner than I expect. (For anyone who doesn’t know, it will get us 20% off on many of our ADRs).

Oh, also, if at some point we run across the "I'm Celebrating" pins, we should pick some up. The next morning we are part of the "Guinea Pig DISers" going to meet Chewbacca first thing. The SWW folks came up with the pin idea (writing the group name on them) to help spot each other.

Our next FP+ is for Spaceship Earth. Again, FP+ times don’t line up, but overlap from 5:50-6:25pm. Always a nice ride and I’ll try to get Izzy’s head in the future.

Final FP+ is my Tier 1 for Soarin’ from 6:25-7:25pm. Again, we’ll get a Rider Swap for Dug. While I’m riding Soarin’, we’re thinking that Dug and Izzy can hop on Living with the Land. Maybe they can catch a short standby, but we might be able to get a FP+ for them (just one needed, since Izzy’s still under 3). Dug will have used all of his FP+, so maybe he can get a 4th one. OR, when we enter the park, we can use Izzy’s Magic Band to get one and they can use that. :tiptoe:

From calculations Dug did on a past trip, Soarin’ takes at least 30 minutes, just to walk through the queue, watch the pre-show, and ride. So, hopefully I’ll be back close to 7pm and Dug can hop on. I’ll take Izzy over to Sunshine Seasons to acquire the Warm Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie that I read about on the Disney Food Blog. That is, if I am hungry enough for it. Since, you know, it’s right before dinner. :laughing: Appetizer! ::yes:: If not, I will have to come back and maybe grab it our next night. Instead, I could maybe ride Living with the Land too. We’ll see.

Our dinner ADR is at 7:50pm at the Garden Grill, so we’ll be right there. Hoping to show up a bit early, if we finish Soarin’ in time, so that we stand a chance of catching Illuminations on our way out. But again, if not, the next night we could see it.

I’ve been to Garden Grill twice and have had great experiences there both times. Good food, really cool environment, and fantastic character interaction. Looking forward to it! (Last time it wasn’t spinning, so hoping to enjoy more scenery this time).

After dinner, we’ll see what time it is and possibly check out an Illuminations viewing spot I jotted down from another TR. Or we might just see it while we walk back to the International Gateway. Or it might be over, who knows. :confused3

We’ll be heading out of the park after dinner/fireworks and getting Izzy to bed at the Boardwalk. She normally goes to bed between 7-8pm at home, so that’s 8-9pm Disney time – this isn’t too bad. She’ll be close to her normal time. Which is good, as wake-up will be early. (We do need to set up her bed before she goes down – I think she’ll still be good with the pack ‘n’ play for this trip - though I think we'll try the sofa bed with rails on the cruise to save space).

Because we plan to make several breakfasts in our kitchenette, I will run over to the Screen Door General Store in the Boardwalk to pick up a few things (milk, eggs, maybe pop, etc.) I plan to bring our little microwave egg sandwich maker and use that in the mornings. If that store is missing anything, I guess there is a Hess Station just across the street that has a decent selection, so I could run over there, but hoping not to at that late hour.

Ideally, the shopping will not take long and I can be to bed at a decent hour too. Tomorrow, the Star Wars Weekends madness begins bright and early! :chewy:

Sounds like a good day too me. I like your idea of thee post a day one month out, it really helps organize your plans. I'll be at DHS the next day too for the rd Chewie run, maybe I'll see you there. I wasn't planning on doing the pin thing since I don't actually participate in that thread, just lurk, but who knows.

We almost always fly Sun Country from MSP to MCO. We love it, especially being able to fly from Terminal 2. You can't beat how close together everything is & at that time of the morning security has almost always been a pretty much walk right through with no wait. Breakfast choices are kind of limited. There is a nice play area that we let DS run around in before the flight to burn off some of that extra morning energy.

The Hess store is still a bit of a walk from the Boardwalk by the time your walk from the DVC side through the parking lo,t across the road & probably up about a block from there & there is no sidewalk once you cross the street. We've done it a couple of times because things are a lot cheaper & the selection is better but, I would bring a rolling suitcase or a bag with handles to carry stuff in because they give you brown paper sacks which get really heavy on your walk back.

Have fun! I wish we had a trip planned for this year. I guess it's not too late to fit one it.... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter