Is it weird to do character meets as an adult with no children?

I've done it quite a few times, and there have only been two times that it's been awkward:

1. There were a solo mom and two kids right behind me in line, and the CM pulled all of them over to Elsa & Anna when I was walking over, assuming we were a family. I quietly let the CM know that I wasn't part of the group, and got back in line behind the family for a second try; once the mom realized what had happened she looked embarrassed, but in the end her kids got to meet the sisters and were ecstatic.

2. There was another solo adult behind me who wasn't quite all there mentally, and he'd struck a conversation with me in the in-room line. The CM saw us talking and grouped us together, and for the sake of the other guest, I just rolled with it as though we were long time friends. So now, I have a picture of me with a stranger and a few Princesses.

Just wondering if anyone on here goes to meet any of the characters in the parks without children. I haven't ever really done so myself but was thinking about it next time I go. The first time I went to WDW I was 19 so I've never really done any. Do you feel like you're being judged negatively for it? I did a quick search online which came up with a few blog posts from people saying its annoying and should be left for the kids. How were the interactions with the characters?
My husband and I get ready really excited to meet characters, and the characters react well to us. It's super fun.

My husband and I don't have kids and we love love love meeting characters. We've never noticed anybody giving us a dirty look or anything. They love to make a big deal out of our "Happy Anniversary" buttons - sometimes I think we kiss more at DIsney because the characters insist on it than we do all year!

Just wondering if anyone on here goes to meet any of the characters in the parks without children. I haven't ever really done so myself but was thinking about it next time I go. The first time I went to WDW I was 19 so I've never really done any. Do you feel like you're being judged negatively for it? I did a quick search online which came up with a few blog posts from people saying its annoying and should be left for the kids. How were the interactions with the characters?
My dh and I always do character meals. We love them! We get pictures too! Remember everyone is a kid at Disney!

We do character meals for breakfast at least once if not more a trip. A few years ago we did Chef Mickey's at opening and there were more tables that were just adults than ones with families. All of the characters made us give them hugs and take pictures. Other adults had autograph books for them to sign. In Nov we are doing CP and TH.

I love meeting the characters and I'm 25! I had so much fun meeting Alice, Anna & Elsa, Rapunzel, and Cinderella during my trip with DH (31) last year. Rapunzel was THE BEST! So much fun to talk to! I also met Alice, the Fab 5, and Daisy on my 21st birthday trip with my grandmother which was fun as well. I'm super shy and socially awkward, but they made me feel so comfortable. We have an ADR for Chef Mickey's this trip which should be fun. I'm not sure we'll meet characters this year, but we may depending on lines. I'd like to meet Tiana and most importantly, Flynn!

Oh I love standing having a chat with the characters! I'm a children's entertainer myself here in the UK and it's a lot of fun to have adults interact and get involved as well as the kids. Just roll with it and have fun. :tongue:

I love it. DH and I met characters together, and I met some solo too. We did meals and meet and greets. All lots of fun! :)

I am 29 and I love character meets. I love looking back at my old autograph books from childhood. Did a bunch when I went with my sister on my most recent trip.
Unfortunately my spouse is scared of costumed characters:worried:

Now that I'm an adult - I'm willing to do it more often!! I was so scared (secretly, I still am) of characters esp when they are in giant costumes! But now...ugh, it amazing! I'm 26 btw hahaha

Like snitchseeker, I was too afraid to meet characters when I was younger - but before last year, I hadn't been to a Disney park since I was 15 (in 1986). This time, my DH, his sister and I (all in our mid-to-late 40s) had several character meals and I just HAD to meet Mike and Sully and was willing to wait in line for it. It seriously made my whole trip and is tied for my favorite picture of the trip (with my husband holding Tinkerbell as the tying photo).

I agree with everyone here. I don't have any kids and I love meeting all the characters. You just get right in character with them. It's so fun. They don't judge you and I too believe they like the change of talking to adults sometimes. Anybody who judges us for loving this can go stuff it. I am taking my mum to Garden Grill for her birthday this September. She has never been to WDW and doesn't know about character meals so it will be a complete surprise. One of my favorite meets was not really a character meeting but my friend and I were at MNSVSHP and during the parade for some reason Jafar came over to us and gave me a scary stare (of course because he's a villain). I just stared right back at him and made a gesture with my hand at my head like a telephone and said "Call me". It was so funny and fun. I love WDW because you can leave the stress of your real life behind and age doesn't matter-you can be a kid again! Go for it!

Last edited:
Oh and if you do enjoy those characters photos, invest in the memory maker, it is well worth it. I had over 300 photos and loved every minute of it. I am looking forward to next years vacation.

I did get the memory maker last trip. It was worth it just for the ride photos! Plus you don't have to remember to take pictures yourself!

Love all the stories and encouragement!

I've done it quite a few times, and there have only been two times that it's been awkward:

1. There were a solo mom and two kids right behind me in line, and the CM pulled all of them over to Elsa & Anna when I was walking over, assuming we were a family. I quietly let the CM know that I wasn't part of the group, and got back in line behind the family for a second try; once the mom realized what had happened she looked embarrassed, but in the end her kids got to meet the sisters and were ecstatic.

2. There was another solo adult behind me who wasn't quite all there mentally, and he'd struck a conversation with me in the in-room line. The CM saw us talking and grouped us together, and for the sake of the other guest, I just rolled with it as though we were long time friends. So now, I have a picture of me with a stranger and a few Princesses.

okay you tell the CM that you are party of one (1). that should end your problems.

most of the time they asked - but even if they don't - you need to say party of one.

generally do a character meal solo - it can be fun. love Cape May Cafe - this is a very small character meal - so they ruin out of food faster than the bigger places - but give them 10 minutes or so and they will replenish them.

I do it all the time! (I'm 31). I even have selfies with Anna and Elsa! You are going to DISNEY, for goodness sake! You're supposed to ACT like a kid! LOL

Funny thing, my first visit to Disney World (at the age where as far as Disney tickets were concerned, even going by today's pricing structure, I was still a child) I didn't really meet any characters other than Mickey. On my second trip, me just a week shy of my 19th birthday at that point, I filled about two-thirds of an autograph book without a second thought the entire time. When it came time for my first Disney cruise and I saw Captain Mickey at Port Canaveral, I tried to pretend I was "way too old for that" but in the end couldn't help myself and hugged him. And once on board, I met up with as many characters as I could without shame. Pirate Goofy and Captain Jack Sparrow seemed especially thrilled that an unaccompanied adult actually wanted to see and interact with them.

Now with my combined park/cruise trip coming up, well, first of all let's just say I'm old enough to have seen "Song of the South" the very last time it was ever in theaters (for its 40th anniversary). It has already been determined that meeting Anna and Elsa is non-negotiable (for me or my mother; we'd love to meet Olaf, too, but he's not in Florida or on the Dream as I understand), and most likely either or both of us will again try to meet as many (other) characters as possible both on land and at sea. I would have loved to meet Ralph and Vanellope, but no sooner did I find out about this trip happening than Game Central Station/Sugar Rush had given way to San Frosokyo and of course now neither set of characters is there. I can only hope the Boo to You parade still has the Sugar Rush float.

I really wanted to meet Tinkerbell, but my 2 boys could not be bothered. So on my last trip with my girlfriend we waited and it was fun. My favorite was Gaston. Because we were 2 girls he made a scene how all the girls want to be with him. Made us feel his biceps for the photo, its my favorite!

We love doing character meets! Last year we went with a group of four of us (all 25), and had the best time meeting with the characters. I was wearing a striped shirt when we got a picture with Peter Pan and Wendy and they asked if I was Mr. Smee, haha. We make it a point to to character meets, as well as character meals! So much fun, with or without kids! Aren't we all kids in disney anyways?

My friend and I are going in October and at first I felt a little silly about signing up for character meals. Now I'm am excited about it. We went ahead and got the memory maker as well. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter