Is it weird to do character meets as an adult with no children?

RaspberryDragon

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if anyone on here goes to meet any of the characters in the parks without children. I haven't ever really done so myself but was thinking about it next time I go. The first time I went to WDW I was 19 so I've never really done any. Do you feel like you're being judged negatively for it? I did a quick search online which came up with a few blog posts from people saying its annoying and should be left for the kids. How were the interactions with the characters?

Nope. Have fun. I'm 33 and I love meeting the characters. As a male, I still don't worry, nor do I care what people think. I wanna meet the characters, so I do.

If you have a birthday button on, it's an ice breaker. If you stick to some things from the movies, that's good.

I'll use the example I just did in another thread. DGF and I met Aladdin and Jasmine. We asked how Abu was and they said he was making banana cream pies up in the Adventureland trees. We then got talking about Aladdin and Jasmine's shoes and talked for a bit... It was fun and nowhere near awkward.

Ariel is the same way... She'll talk about anything... ask her if she's added to her treasure trove.

Make it fun, keep it movie related. Sometimes depending on what you wear, the characters will key off of that.

We always went before we had kids. There were a few times we would have a character just wave at us and move onto the next table,Mobutu it was rare. We found if we had our camera set out on the table, they were more aware that we wanted them to stop. And the characters that you can speak with we're the best.

We also often stood in line to meet characters, and were never rushed. You will sometimes have cranky guests behind you in line who might make comments, but to be honest, I felt they were being petty and judgmental. I never let it bother me, and most people were really nice. We also saw tons of other groups without children doing the same as us, so go and just enjoy yourselves. They are fun pictures and memories to have.

I never met the characters after the first trip I took when I was little, but last year, I purchased Memory Maker, and I wanted to get my money's worth, so even though I am pretty shy, I decided to do some meet and greets, and it was actually fun. I really didn't notice anyone around me being mean or nasty about it, but I'm all about trying to just stay in my happy zone and have fun while I'm there. I am 47, and I go with my friend who is like my mom's age. It was also fun to see some of the kid's interactions, too. I say, if you want to do it, go for it. :D

I can't imagine why you would take children to see the characters! Often they're afraid of them, they won't stand still for pictures, and they get in the way of your adult character experience. :stir:

Haha! To be honest, as a child people in costumes kinda of made me nervous. Makes sense.

We also often stood in line to meet characters, and were never rushed. You will sometimes have cranky guests behind you in line who might make comments, but to be honest, I felt they were being petty and judgmental. I never let it bother me, and most people were really nice. We also saw tons of other groups without children doing the same as us, so go and just enjoy yourselves. They are fun pictures and memories to have.

That's what I was thinking. Disney is a place to be a kid again! Those people that waste their time judging others don't know how to vacation right!

I'll use the example I just did in another thread. DGF and I met Aladdin and Jasmine. We asked how Abu was and they said he was making banana cream pies up in the Adventureland trees. We then got talking about Aladdin and Jasmine's shoes and talked for a bit... It was fun and nowhere near awkward.

Ariel is the same way... She'll talk about anything... ask her if she's added to her treasure trove.

Thanks for the examples! Last time I went, I accidentally met Rafiki. Got some pictures which was nice but didn't know if I should say anything so I just froze up and had the pictures taken.

Thanks for the examples! Last time I went, I accidentally met Rafiki. Got some pictures which was nice but didn't know if I should say anything so I just froze up and had the pictures taken.

Even for non-talking characters, you can still make references and they'll point or mime things to have a "conversation" with you. Goofy is always a fun one to interact with.

Character meets are not and should not be "only for kids." I'm not sure what search term to recommend, but there have been lots of threads on the DIS about adults meeting characters; lots of us do it!

I've met lots of characters and had lots of great experiences, with the characters and their CM handlers. If any other guests have ever given me the stink-eye, I haven't noticed. If there is someone you want to meet, go for it! I think the characters enjoy it when they know you're a fan. Not to rehash all my favorite stories, but when I told Dug and Russell they were my heroes and their story was one of my favorite stories ever, they made a big fuss over me, and Russell was ready to go home with me (Dug would have, but he didn't like hearing he'd have to fly on a plane.) Every year I go visit Phineas and Ferb 'cause I love them; this year, i wore my "Phineas outfit" (orange & white striped T, dark blue capris, black socks and black & white sneakers) and they loved it; I told them it was my outfit from their "Summer All the Time" fashion collection (a P&F episode). I got lots of hugs and kisses that day.

We had a conversation here before about some of the Princesses being a little stiffer than others - My favorite meet & greet Princess is Tiana. I've met her twice with different "friends," and she is great, friendly and chatty (I think because she's 20th Century royalty she can be more relaxed).

Trust me, I am the silly middle-aged lady who went solo to Hollywood & Vine for breakfast because Doc McStuffins was exclusively there, and the characters and CMs were super-sweet! Don't be shy about characters.

Thanks for the stories! It's fun hearing about others experience with the characters. To be honest, I wasn't aware how common it was for adults to meet characters!

I decided to meet a few characters on my last trip to WDW. For some reason I was more comfortable with the non-face characters. Baloo and King Louie were so fun. I also met Donald at Epcot and he was going on and on about my Stitch pin. I thought they would spend less time with me being a solo adult but they definitely took their time as they would any family.

I met a few the first time, and then in Disneyland, I chased down Merida(she didn't see me but I certainly sped up to her meet) and my last trip I met over 50 characters! I never went as a kid, so I've done it only as an adult and it's great! I've had some less creative people, but for the most part, the characters just roll with it and have fun. I remember Aladdin loving my jewelry and wondering where I got it. I told him my mom, and at the end of the meet, he's like "Tell your Mom I said hi!"

I have never cared that people would judge me. I wear ears, I dress up, and I love meeting characters! Don't ever feel out of place. There's tons of adults without kids who meet characters! I do at least two-four character meals a trip and it's always fun. The characters all take their time, and honestly, I've only found other people (usually parents) who I talk to in line and we chat and have a good time.

Just wondering if anyone on here goes to meet any of the characters in the parks without children. I haven't ever really done so myself but was thinking about it next time I go. The first time I went to WDW I was 19 so I've never really done any. Do you feel like you're being judged negatively for it? I did a quick search online which came up with a few blog posts from people saying its annoying and should be left for the kids. How were the interactions with the characters?

adults far out number any children when I look at the lines for character meets.

I don't do the characters by myself just because I'm not that interested (give me rides rides rides!) but the interactions that I HAVE had with adult friends/family who insist on either character dining or meet & greets have all been amazing and not weird or awkward at all!

The best one I've done is the princess breakfast at Akershus. They took their time with us instead of rushing past because we didn't have kids with us; maybe they were relieved to have a break from the little ones ;)

Oh, and the Tremaines! If you ever catch them wandering around, DO NOT miss them. Hilarious.

If you want to then no it's not weird. You won't be the only one. The cast members won't rush you because Disney is for everyone. Parents behind you may give you a look because you're standing between their child and the character they want to see but if you had a five year old with you they might still give you that look. So don't worry about it and just have fun. This is your Disney vacation and you should do what you want.

Our trip in Dec was over the FIL's B'day. My wife made signs saying 'Happy Birthday' which over the course of the holiday we asked all different characters to hold while we took a photo (as well as having our photos of course!). I then made a slideshow of all the photos with 'When You Wish Upon a Star' as the background music, which we then emailed to him on his Birthday.

Every Character in every park or resturant was obliging, and during our Meal at Garden Grill, even the CMs were coming over to have their photo taken and getting the other CMs to come over.

You are never to old for any sort of fun in any Disney Park

I love meeting characters!! I felt awkward around them as a kid and it showed intbw pictures. As an adult? Pure excitement!

I didn't feel awkward, rushed or like we shouldn't be there enjoying ourselves just like every other paying guest (apart from one mediocre Ariel experience but it was very busy that afternoon and was a one off)

The characters themselves were GREAT. Mr Incredible and Frozone really took their time deciding on what pose they wanted us in. Chip and Dale and Buzz delighted in our pin collections, dreamed up bew fantasy pin ideas with the Tremaines thst involved their precious cat, Lucifer, discussed Gaston's muscley physic with Cinderella and Tiana...Tiana and Naveen actually stopped us from leaving our m&g with them to talk some more (they spent a good 10 minutes already at this point with us).

Honestly its so much fun! We went to Akershus and wore tiaras and the princesses all commented about how lovely it was that we'd dtessed up for them. So much fun!!

I have many photos of just myself and characters (I am 44 yrs old) and I enjoy standing in line. I don't care who says what because I love Disney and you must have the kid in you to enjoy everything Disney has to offer. Now go get in line and have fun!! Oh and if you do enjoy those characters photos, invest in the memory maker, it is well worth it. I had over 300 photos and loved every minute of it. I am looking forward to next years vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter