Is it True? No Flying Dutchman

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Feisty Fairy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feisty Fairy

Feisty Fairy DIS Veteran

Is it true that the Flying Dutchman is no longer at Castaway Cay and if so why did they move it :confused3:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cloudnut220

cloudnut220 DIS Veteran

It wasn't there when we were there at the end of October.

4. fijidoc

fijidoc Mouseketeer

that has been gone for well over a year. Was torn down and removed because it started to fall apart.

5. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

I don't now exactly but it's been gone well over a year.

6. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

They didn't move it, it no longer exists. It was completely dismantled in 2010.

7. shandrananette

shandrananette Mouseketeer

We just got back from our first cruise (on the Dream) and the woman organizing the Castaway Cay 5K said Hurricane Irene really did it in...they had to dismantle it after that but "Captain Jack Sparrow is working on commandeering another ship"

8. Tower

Tower DIS Veteran

Could it be Blackbeard's ship that Barbosa commandeered? It'd be interesting if there were ever a Pirates 5, where the Pearl would end up.

OT: Just did the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at MK last week and was disappointed to see the hologram of Davey Jones/Blackbeard was not working. Apparently it has not been working for over a month! :eek: I'm hoping that Disney picks up the pace on reparing that. It's a fantastic element of the ride.

9. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

I am afriad the Flying Dutchman was a movie prop and was basicly falling apart.

So...............they sent her to Davy Jones!;)

AKK

10. ilovetexas

ilovetexas DIS Veteran

He needs to commandeer it before May! We missed Castaway last time we were on DCL because the weather was so bad, so we missed the Dutchman. Now it's gone. :(

11. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

The Dutchman was gone well before Hurricane Irene. It was dismantled in November 2010.

12. Brumbie13

Brumbie13 Mr. Mickeybars

I'm sorry, but the Black Pearl doesn't exist anymore either.
    It got transformed into the ship "Queen Anne's Revenge" from the 4th movie.

13. Alexander

Alexander DIS Veteran

Really? This is just completely not true! It was gone long before Hurricane Irene (August 25, 2011) passed over CC. And...I sailed on a B2B during Hurricane Irene and while the island took quite a beating and we didn't stop there on the three night, we did stop on the four night, I can guarantee you there was no Dutchman there!

14. luvdisney24

luvdisney24 DIS Veteran

I'm sorry but this is not true. The Black Pearl is in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu. It's sitting up on land in Drydock. We saw this when we were on vacation at the Aulani and took a Catamaran tour.

15. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

If you click on the link it goes to Wikipedia and explains there are/were more than one version on the Black Pearl.

16. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

It has been gone a long time.

Picture found on another website. Posted November 23, 2010. Credit to "dizneyusa"

[​IMG]

- Dreams

17. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

From December 2010

[​IMG]

18. Brumbie13

Brumbie13 Mr. Mickeybars

There were several ships built, one was a barge that never went to Hawaii, one was on a soundstage, and one was an actual ship that went to Hawaii.

The ship that went to Hawaii was originally the HMS Sunset. It got reworked as the Black Pearl for the 2nd and 3rd POTC movies. In 2010 it got brought to Hawaii, drydocked, and transformed into the Queen Anne's Revenge for POTC 4.

POTC 4 came out in theatres in May 2011. Aulani didn't open until August 2011.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the ship you saw when you were at Aulani was the Queen Anne's Revenge.

19. luvdisney24

luvdisney24 DIS Veteran

Well then someone should let the Captain (who docks his boat at the same shipyard) of the Catamaran adventure know as he, along with his crew and the Disney ABD guide are "selling" that as the Black Pearl!

20. Brumbie13

Brumbie13 Mr. Mickeybars

Maybe because the Black Pearl is much more well known and most people can't tell the difference. :confused3