Is it smart to skip a week for Disney?

PrincessRianne

Mouseketeer
My family really wants to go back this year, and it looks as if the only time we can go is when my mom has vacation time, and it seems to always fall when I have class. So, they're looking at October sometime.

The problem is, Im an engineering major, and I have 3 labs a week next fall, and right now, idk if theyd let me make them up or not. :confused3

Should I tell my parents to go ahead and start planning for October, and miss a week? Or should I persuade them otherwise?

I don't know about your school, but at mine they will only let you make up the lab the same week. So if you went on vaca on week you couldn't come back to school the next week and try to do the lab you missed. Usally they just make you take a 0 for that grade if its an excused absence. Try talking to your lab coordniator to see what they say.

um, my parents and sister went to disney in november without me, because um, i had lab (i had at least 2 a semester every year) and a TON of work to do. october is a really busy time of the year, all of our mid-terms were during that time. i worked as a lab ta for the past 2 semesters in chemistry and if you miss a lab, there's no make-up a week later, unless there is something seriously wrong (ie. family member dies). i wouldn't recommend missing a week of school just to go on vacation, especially since you can go to disney whenever, but you can't make those grades up...

just a thought, but i understand how sad it is for your family to make plans without really being able to involve you. my family has already made tons of plans for our family and i'm graduating in 2 weeks, i have no idea where i'll end up or if i'll ever get vacation time from my employer! :guilty:

I've missed school to go to Disney but I wasn't taking any labs.
But if you have labs I would recommend not skipping.
Labs are hard to make up especially if you have 3 a week. Also, I doubt they would let you make them up because you were on vacation. It usually has to be because of some family emergency, death, or illness.

That's how it works at my school and where I go the professors are really laid back.

Do not miss the week of college.

When you are at college you are not a kid any more. Let the family plan their trip without you. You are paying good money to attend classes and labs, every class missed is money down the drain. You do not need the pressure the week after Disney to catch up on missed work.

Go alone or with friends during spring break.

Does your school really have pass-fail grading?
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/passfail.htm

I missed a week of classes in April to go on vacation with my family. I missed 4 tests and about a bazillion lectures :rolleyes: I knew like 2-3 months in advance that I wasn't going to be in class, and told my teachers then... 4 of my professors had no problem with it, and asked that I make up the exam before I left (which I did - 3 exams back to back the day I left :eek: ) The last professor wasn't too fond of the idea... "Your mom planned a trip isn't a good excuse to me. Maybe 'My mom has to have cancer surgery' would've been better." Ummm, that's a little out of line......

Anyway, this was the only time we could get away - for my mom's spring break, and by this far into the semester I NEEDED a break. Besides, my sister starts college in the fall, so who knows when our next family vacation could be. If you think you can handle the work load before/after, then I say go for it. I get good grades, and still did really well this semester even though I missed a lot... but I'm at school to get a degree, so the grades aren't the really important part to me....

Good luck with deciding!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter