Is it really worth it to transfer to a TA?

SpaceSquirrel

Mouseketeer
I've contacted Dreams Unlimited and it looks like we'd get about $150 OBC, it is worth it to transfer for the $150 or are there times when it's just easier/better to keep the reservation direct w/ DCL?

Only you can answer that question. "Worth it" is a very personal thing. For me, I think it's worth it because that's $150 I can use that I wouldn't have otherwise. But other people may find the $150 OBC isn't enough to give up control of their reservation.

I've contacted Dreams Unlimited and it looks like we'd get about $150 OBC, it is worth it to transfer for the $150 or are there times when it's just easier/better to keep the reservation direct w/ DCL?
We are in the same situation and are finally going to try it. We have never booked through a ta and have done many cruises. The worst thing seems to be the pricing changing before the ta gets to make the booking, but if you are already booked it seems like you don't have much to loose. If anyone has any experience with this, would love to hear too.

For $150 I wouldn't want to lose control of my reservation. But I like to be able to speak to Disney directly, not through a third party. Now if it was a $500 GC like through Costco...maybe!

$150 is $150 in my opinion. It's free money. Why not? A lot of people talk about losing control of their reservation, but I didn't feel that way at all. I used a TA for my first cruise last month. Got $300 in OBC. The only thing I couldn't do was make the payments and arrange for DCL bus transport. I called and spoke to DCL about various things--dining rotation request, spa passes, put gift cards on my on board account, was able to schedule Palo brunch online myself.

I like using a TA for the OBC, but also because I don't want to spend time on the phone waiting. I'd rather email my TA, tell her what I want and let them sit on hold. I can still go in and book my reservations, port adventures, etc. But she gets to do the grunt work of finding the room I want and handling the payments.

I am not understanding, what do you mean by giving up control to the TA? Don't they just book it for you and you can call/go online to Disney for all the little things like excursions?

I am not understanding, what do you mean by giving up control to the TA? Don't they just book it for you and you can call/go online to Disney for all the little things like excursions?

Payments and any changes to the reservation must be made through the travel agent. But you can do online check-in and book adult dining and excursions directly.

Ahh, OK Thanks.
We did DU first time last go around, and she had our credit card info so I think payments were just drawn when needed. I can't remember calling to pay for something. We didn't change anything either so I would do the same again and get the OB credit. Unfortunately we have a set number of days off and need to request it way early so, once we book something we have to stick with it.

The things you can't do directly with Disney: change your room. change your dates. change people on the reservation (probably). Make payments. From what was said above, and I can't remember specifically enough to contradict it, book transportation.

The things you CAN do: dining, inform them of a CPAP and request extension cord and distilled water for it, palo/remy, excursions, checkin, get PAT, etc etc etc.

If you like messing with your actual reservation, then giving up the control probably won't be happy for you. If you don't change big things, then you'll probably never even notice it.

Only you can answer that question. "Worth it" is a very personal thing. For me, I think it's worth it because that's $150 I can use that I wouldn't have otherwise. But other people may find the $150 OBC isn't enough to give up control of their reservation.

I agree with this. It's a personal decision, but $150 is $150 - that could cover your tips or souvenirs and some pictures, etc. I know what you mean about having control of your reservation -- I like being able to go on line and make my payments and see my balance, etc. But the many times we have used our TA, they were quick to respond and quick to send payment confirmation and invoices. Whenever I wanted to add a special request for an occasion, etc., they got back to me in 24-hours with their answer from Disney. Having experienced it, I can say for sure that I would definitely transfer to the travel agent for that type of OBC. If it was only $50 I'd say don't bother -- but the extra $100 is hard to resist ;)

Something you may want to check-CAN you transfer it to the TA and get the on board credit? I was under the impression that you are limited to a specific time frame to be able to do that. For example, when we booked the placeholder cruise on board, I think I had 30 days to transfer that to the TA to get the benefits. (If my memory is working correctly. :) )

Can you pay with Disney gift cards through a TA? I'm eyeing Dreams Unlimited and Small World Vacations.

I think for the $150 I'll just keep it myself, I like being able to make small regular payments and would feel like a bother doing that w/ a TA.

I think for the $150 I'll just keep it myself, I like being able to make small regular payments and would feel like a bother doing that w/ a TA.
For some reason I thought with DU you make the payments yourself through their website. Is that incorrect?

Who knew there were TAs out there that would give you credits. I booked through one that doesn't. :(

It was much easier to let her do the legwork, but next time, I'll shop around for a TA that might add some perks for me.

Payments and any changes to the reservation must be made through the travel agent. But you can do online check-in and book adult dining and excursions directly.
You can also get a Disney Vacation Account, then you can make your own payments. Typically there isn't much too change after you initially book and a TA will watch if the price goes down before final payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter