Is it possible to pack light for a trip to Disney?

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by housetomouse, Feb 23, 2011.

1. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

I would rather not purchase half a wardrobe while we're there, if I can avoid it! :) It could be hot or cold, wet or dry, when we go, so I need to have some of everything. What I need to do is watch the 10 day forecast as the trip gets closer and pack according to that. Or not, if the forecast is typically unreliable! Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

I'm sure I'd pack twice as much as I already pack if I were going on a cruise too :scared1: Good luck with that! It'll be a great trip either way, though.

4. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

I may have to do laundry. I don't mind laundry at home, just not my favorite thing to do when I don't have a washer/dryer close at hand. We're going when the weather could do just about anything, so I'd need some of everything, probably. Maybe the trick for me is to make my layers mostly lightweight (cotton capris instead of jeans, for example). I might be able to take more changes of clothes in the same space, at the same weight. Thank you!

5. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

Thanks! By the way I just read and enjoyed one of your trip reports! You have a great writing style and great pictures.

When we go, the weather could do anything, so if I watch the forecast when the trip gets close, I think I can pack more efficiently. I love jeans and jean shorts, but I should probably try to bring something else because they take up so much room and are heavy (and they don't dry after a water ride!). Thank you!

6. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

I'm impressed! I could do that, right? I love the idea of the packing cubes, it would make me feel so organized (never tried them). Thank you!

7. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

Now there's an idea I like! :thumbsup2 Not an option, though! :) Thanks.

8. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking, but I like having my own suitcase so I'm not sure I'd like it. Maybe we could check 2 suitcases, but I pack most of my own stuff in a rolling carryon so I don't have other people rummaging through my stuff! Thanks :)

Just realized I read and enjoyed your trip report too! Hope your next trip was less stressful!

9. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

This inspires me to just pack light and do a load of laundry. Thanks!

10. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

Good point! I'll have to watch that, thanks!

11. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

I need to reconsider what I think is essential! I always fail miserably with the shoes and clothing (I bring too much, although I do tend to wear what I bring). Thanks!

12. susanm

susanm DISNEY MANIAC ºoº

the trip i am planning for august is the first time i am flying since the air added paying per luggage. i am planning 2 carryons...my camera bag will hold my wallet, meds, tickets wallet etc...
    my other carryon i am hoping to get several days clothes.. i have 2 pair of denim capris - i am hoping for 2 days of each with 3-4 shirts etc.. then i will do one trip to the laundry room .. then that should get me thru my 8 days... plus the jeans i will wear down...i can wear once more there... i hope... although i hate to do laundry while i am on vacation, i am saving $35 each way for a suitcase :confused3 although i may still change my mind

13. housetomouse

housetomouse DIS Veteran

It sure makes good financial sense to do the laundry! How much do you think it costs to do a load of laundry, if you don't bring your own laundry supplies? Thanks!

14. cdnmomof2

cdnmomof2 Earning My Ears

It sounds like we travel the same way. 4 of us just did 8 days in maui with only carry-ons. Nothing to it. My best tip is to roll your clothes. Organize and pack socks and undies in the big ziploc bags. That way clean socks & undies are never lost or confused with laundry. T-shirts and tanks also work rolled & in the big ziplocs. Seriously easy this way to go through security. We've received many compliments at airports. They could tear apart the suitcase in 30 seconds & re-assemble with ease if need be. No fuss, no clothes everywhere.

We also plan, knowing we will each buy a t-shirt or 2 on a trip. If our destination has laundry facilities we use it the last night and also travel home with clean, organized, bags.

15. tripletvan

tripletvan DIS Veteran

We have had up to a party of 13 for thanksgiving & I have shipped nearly everything with no problem

16. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

Reviving an old thread but...
    A lot of laundry rooms @ the hotels are open late (or maybe all day/night? Not sure but I remember people doing laundry @ Pop until at least 11:30pm!) so just pick a night or morning to hang out at the hotel and do a load if you want to pack a bit lighter. You can hang at the pool and check on it periodically!

DH and I can fit all of our stuff into one large suitcase (but sometimes it's a tight fit!) and then use our park bag as our airport bag (with entertainment and snacks etc) but I think we can do a smaller one or even two carry on bags if we roll and organize better. Neither one of us are big on souvenirs so an extra bag for those is big issue for us!

17. VeeHam

VeeHam Mouseketeer

Our last trip (to my fathers house) I packed Dh, DD's 5 and 8 and my clothes into one large suitcase and had a bag for dirty clothes. But I was able to fit all of our clothes into the one suitcase. I used the space saver bags. I put each persons clothes into a bag and sucked out the air. Each girl had 5-6 outfits, 4 pj's, lots of undies and 2 swimsuits. DH and I had two pairs of jeans, 4-5 shorts, a few dresses (for me), shirts, undies, bras and swimwear. I had a separate bag for toiletries.
    If I can do it, believe me, you can do it too. I am a notorious over packer.

Does anyone know if you ask to borrow a vacuum from mousekeeping, will they let you? I would love to use the space saver bags again on this trip to Disney.

18. lisakramer

lisakramer Mouseketeer

I do my best to pack light, since I do all of our packing.
    We all normally wear each pair of pants/shorts multiple times, so it's really a matter of shirts taking up more room.
    For a week stay, we normally can fit our stuff into 1 small carry on sized suitcase per person. I also pack a HUGE Disney tote that I bought on a previous trip to bring home anything we bought that won't fit into the luggage. That way I can throw my purse in the tote and use it as my "personal" bag.
    Also, I have DS4 take his full size backpack. While he won't carry it all the way through the airport because it's heavy, I can always stuff more in that bag if I need to. So, yeah, I use my kid as a way to carry more bags on the plane... Oh well.

19. lylone

lylone All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

Me an DH are avid carryon only users. I didn't think it was possible, but I even did 7 days with a carryon and a Vera Bradley laptop bag!
    The key is to use packing cubes which work really well.

I also always print out a UPS label before we go. That way if we can't fit souvenirs things in our carry ons then get a box from the hotel gift shop, slap the label on the box and ship some clothes back (don't want to loose the souvenirs) in the box. I am sure that Pluto enjoyed his trip home in my Vera Bradley rather than a box.

If you do plan on shipping from the resort, get a prepaid UPS label before you leave....Boxes and packing stuff is free, but shipping...well...

20. Julie521

Julie521 DIS Veteran

My husband and I just packed for our first trip together. 7 Days and we are each using one suit case. Mine is a little bigger than his, only because I packed some extra flip flops, and he will probably wear the same 2 pairs of sneakers all week. Other than that we have one cooler insulated bag for us to keep in the car *since we are driving* with some frozen water bottles and snacks. We actually had one extra suit case and I ended up condensing down some of my clothes so we didn't have the extra bag :) I was proud! lol

21. tink_n_pooh

tink_n_pooh <font color=darkorchid>my TP isn't going anywhere.

Doing laundry at WDW isn't so bad at all. Most laundry facilities are located near the pools and quite a few of us schedule a pool/rest break in the middle of the day anyway. Throw a load of laundry in before hitting the pool, enjoy the pool and maybe have lunch and drink and before you know it your laundry is finished