Is it ok to order room service and take food off the ship???

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kritter, Apr 30, 2006.

1. kritter

kritter <font color=deeppink>I need a Disney FIX!!<br><fon

Just read in the new passporter that it is no longer ok for you to do this...I have read on the boards that people have done it in the past....Anyone done it recently...Obviously you are not going to tell SCL that you are doing it...But can you still get away with it???Or do they check your small roll on cooler when you get off the ship for food???

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Buddy Bear

Buddy Bear Tigger's Best Friend

Yes, it is highly recommended with children. We order extra breakfast and take it with us since you never know when the little one will want cheerios or something else like that.

4. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

You can't take opened food back onto the ship but we have never had a problem with taking things off with us in the ports.

5. Rence

Rence <font color=cc00cc>Anyone who puts fashion above a

The key here is "In Ports" It is a bit No-No to try to take food off the ship when it returns to the US. You can take unopened food items sealed in their original package but nothing else. They do care and the fines are quite large.

6. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

In many of the ports, it has never been legal to take fresh food (sandwiches, fruit, veggies) off the ship. A lot of people still have done it, they just didn't get caught.

7. kritter

confused now what is the bottom line can we or can we not????

8. Flagger

Flagger DIS Veteran

It is a violation of most ports to take food off the ship whether most people do it and get away with it.

9. kritter

I have read ont hese boards that it is doen though..!!!

10. joyv

joyv Earning My Ears

Officially, it is not allowed. But they don't really check your bags when you go out from the ship to the port. I brought 2 packs of cereal for my kids from Topsiders buffet and my friends wrapped a bagel and a piece of donut in a ziploc bag to take with them to the beaches in St. Maarten/St. Thomas as well.

11. kritter

well I have heard/read on the boards here that people order sandwiches the night before and carry them off ht ship into port......

12. Flagger

Flagger DIS Veteran

Ok well that is fine, but the law of the country(ies) you will visit say that is not allowed and there can be serious penalties if you get caught. If you want to be a person who teaches their kids through their actions that is ok to ignore the law, then that is up to you.

13. Buddy Bear

Buddy Bear Tigger's Best Friend

Yes, I fully agree. I can't wait to be on the 11 o'clock news for feeding my 2 year old Cheerios while visiting Cozumel. :teeth:

14. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

LOL! I am with you, BuddyBear. :) With little kids you have to have a snack bag ready everywhere. I am not going to be worrying about having to find a decent snack for the kids when we are in port. They are happy with juice boxes & granola bars so that gets packed in the bag along with the camera & our room cards. :) Honestly, there weren't any signs when we were leaving the ship about taking food off but there were signs when we got back to the pier. Of course there were signs when we got off the ship in PC too. Anything that was opened went in the trashcan in the room.

15. MrsMork

MrsMork Proud Old Geezer

I have never seen anything posted either on the ship or in the Navigators that it is illegal to take food off at the ports. It is very visibly posted at PC. Where is it posted at the ports?? :confused3

16. Vavasmon

Vavasmon <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

There was a large sign posted by the metal detecors when we got onto the Tenders at GC in April that said food may not be taken off the ship. No one seemed to be checking for this however. I don't remember seeing the same sign in Cozumel.

17. Flagger

Flagger DIS Veteran

My comment was to this comment by the OP whose very question BTW is "Is it OK to order room service and take food off the ship":
    The simple answer is NO it is NOT ok.

Any child taking a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise certainly is not going to starve or become malnourished. I personally think it is important to parent by example and show respect for the laws and cultures of the places we visit. My nearly 3 DD has sampled food she had never tried before in every place both domestic and international we have visited. She has not liked everything, but she knows that she has to wait until we get back to the ship or eat from some place while on shore.

As far as worries of food poisoning, we have gotten sick from some of the finest restaurants on the planet and OTOH have eaten food that would turn most stomachs yet we survived to tell the tale. You can parent however you wish, but as far as the OP is concerned, no manner of justifying "other people do it", "I didn't see any signs", "It wasn't in the Navigator" will ever make it right to take food or room service on shore.

18. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Since Cheerios are not fresh food (produce, meat), you shouldn't have a problem.
    You sure won't make any of my newscasts....however, if you take your kids out of school for a vacation and get busted by truancy officers, I can't promise you won't make the show. They do one truancy sweep per semester here, and along with the usual group of parents who just don't care if their kids go to school, there are the otherwise responsible parents who don't realize it is a felony to take your kid out of school for a vacation.

19. DrCavin

DrCavin DIS Veteran

When we were docked in St. Marteen, I saw a lady & her young son stopped from taking pizza off the ship. DCL was not searching bags or anything, they had it on a plate & probably never knew/noticed it wasn't allowed... Security just told them they had to either eat it before leaving or throw it away...

20. kritter

well, I did not mean to open a can of worms here...

The thing about taking you kids out of school well I think if you can take a family vacation then the family time is better than school..As a former teacher family time comes only a few times a year and life can change in an instant so I am all for taking them out of school...

As for if taking food off the ship is correct thing to teach the kids or not.....I think if you do it then do not amke a big thing the kdis will never know the difference!!!!

21. mott

mott DIS Veteran

In hopes of getting this thread back on topic....

I know that US customs makes it VERY clear what you are not allowed to bring into the US. How can we find out the customs rules or laws at ports that DCL visits? Specifically for Cozomel? Of all the "regular" ports that DCL goes to, I'd be most concerned about eating the food in Mexico. I don't want anyone to get sick because we ate bad food in port. I know this can happen anywhere - even in a 5* restaurant, but the probability is much greater in certain places than others. Bottom line for me is that I do not want to break the law, so I'd just like to find out what they are. :)