Is it normal for bruises to itch?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by MissManda, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MissManda

MissManda DIS Veteran

So, my clutzy self took a tumble down the stairs Saturday morning. I guess I was in a hurry and my foot just slipped out from under me. Thankfully, I fell backwards and went down on my hip/butt rather than face first. Also, I'm pretty lucky that I didn't break anything.

My hip took the brunt of the fall and now I have a huge bruise about the size of my hand. It hurt like crazy the first couple of days. I could hardly touch it but now most of that soreness is gone. It just looks terrible.

The problem is that now I am itching like crazy where the bruise is. It's like an internal itch so scratching does not help. The bruise has changed color from dark purple to reddish. I am hoping that this means its healing, but the itching is driving me nuts. Does anyone know if this is normal? Any idea how to make it stop?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Yes, if the bruising is quite extensive. There's a lot of damage under the skin. While it's healing it can itch.

Cool cloths could help. Maybe some Benadryl to calm the nerves.

4. MissManda

MissManda DIS Veteran

I had thought about Benadryl, but apparently don't have any here. If its still itching tomorrow, I will get me some and try it. In the mean time, I will try putting a cool wash cloth on it. Hopefully that will help. Thanks!

5. Christine

Christine Would love to be able to sit on

Yes, I have had really bad bruises itch.

Earlier this summer, my car door slammed on my ankle and it bruised as well as forming a hematoma. The darn thing randomly itched for a long time. I think it's just how those deeper nerves respond to healing and repair. I don't think it's a think that Benadryl is going to work on. Hot compresses are good for the blood flow after a few days have gone by (ice is best initially).

6. msjprincess

msjprincess DIS Veteran

Yes, I fell and got a huge grapefruit sized bruise on my thigh this summer. It was really hot to the touch and itched for a couple of weeks until it was gone. I don't think benadryl will help.

7. Arielle22

Arielle22 <font color=red>We have had spirits<br><font color

I bruise easily and found my bruises usually itch while healing.