Is it my washing machine or my shorts?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by usd2bmd, Jul 28, 2013.

1. usd2bmd

usd2bmd DIS Veteran

About a month ago I bought a pair of yellow shorts from Target. The first time I washed them I use ERA, Oxy Clean powder and liquid fabric softener) they came out of the washing machine with orange spots all over them...so I soaked them in a bucket with detergent and some Oxy Clean. It seemed to get worse, I had to scrub them and then I just let them soak for a couple of days.

The spots came out and I washed them again (alone) and they came out fine.

I just washed them again today and the same thing happened. The shorts were the only thing in the load that got spots. I have them soaking again but I have no idea what is causing the spots. There isn't anything else that was in the load that could have ran (and I use the Color Catcher sheets as well).

So i figured i would see if anyone here had a guess...Could it be the shorts...maybe the dye from them? (they are cotton twill similar to khaki pants)

My washing machine is only a little over a year old...

I may just have to give up on them and try to find another pair somewhere else.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. scrapquitler

scrapquitler DIS Veteran

I'd guess it has to do with the fabric softener, if the fabric softener dispenser doesn't mix the fabric softner with the water, that might make spots (but in my experience the spots are usually blue).

4. Randi

Randi <font color=purple>Don't you dare dangle my meat i

I know if you get any kind of bleach on cotton kahki pants, they get orange spots. Maybe the Oxy in the detergent does the same.

5. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Stop using the OXY & fabric softner and see what happens. My guess it is one of those as well, as PP's noted.

I only use OXY for heavily soiled clothes or towels and we don't use fabric softener ever. And no dryer sheets either. Pulling clothes out of my dryer is electric.;)

6. usd2bmd

usd2bmd DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone... I have them soaking in a bucket again and hopefully the spots will come out again... I will try without Oxy and fabric softener and see what happens... Just weird that in the while load it was only those shorts and nothing else..

7. laughinplace199

laughinplace199 <font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><

Since all of the other clothes in the load were fine, I'm guessing it's not your washing machine. I've never used Oxy but I'm wondering if there's something in it that's causing the spots. Maybe try using regular detergent when washing those shorts.