Is it different with two children

MichaelH

DIS Veteran/Disney Fan
My wife and I will be going to WDW in September. We have a three year old son. We also just had a daughter in Oct of 2003. She will be 11 months when we go.

I was wondering if it is any different at WDW with two children? I know that when we took our son for the first time it was great. My wife and I are very excited about taking the new one. It will be her first trip. We are hoping that our son will be excited about his new sister going and will try to show her thing at Disney.

Any good tips for things that girls and boys can do together?

Two kids are different than one: you have two temperments to work around and they are developmentally at different stages. That being said, you should all have a great time together! I wouldn't worry too much about it...just expect the best and remember to let the kids determine how much gets seen and done each day. Make sure to bring sunscreen and sunglasses for them, too! And take lots of pictures of big brother showing the ropes to lil sis! Oh, and anything boys can do....well, you know the rest!

it's even more different with 3 kids!

~~Beth

The first trip my DH and I took to Disney, our DD was 7. It was the most magical trip we ever had at Disney, because I feel she was the perfect age - the right height for all the rides, not scared of any rides (except for Alien Ecounter - that was a mistake!), no temper tantrums, etc. The next time we took DD and DS4, and it was different but still wonderful. We often split up - my DD and DH like coasters, I don't and DS was too short. So it actually worked out perfectly that while they went on Space Mountain, we went on the Speedway and agreed to meet back up at a certain time and a certain place.

We have a 3.5 yo DS and a 13 month old DD. We've taken them to WDW 3 times since January, and are planning on going again next week. I was really surprised by how much we could do all together - the trains, various boat rides, the safari at AK, even Dumbo and the teacups. All the different playgrounds are also great (DD has been walking since she turned 10 month old.)

DS doesn't really interact much with DD, though, if he has his way. At these ages, the boy/girl thing isn't really an issue, but the baby/pre-schooler thing is more of a concern. In the next month or two, you'll have a better idea of how well your DS will interact with your DD.

Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with. :D

Well our son loves his little sister. He was telling her today that he can't wait to go to Disney. He is wanting to show her the Monarail. He gets a little rough with her some, but just because he gets excited when playing with her.

I think that we will have even more fun watching both of them. Thanks for the input.

Isn't everything different with 2? lol
go and have fun- just be prepared! Enjoy this magical time in their (and your) lives!!!

Well our son loves his little sister. He was telling her today that he can't wait to go to Disney. He is wanting to show her the Monarail.

That is so sweet! You all will have a great time. :D

Never went with just one.... but with the age different I would make sure you split up at times. They will be on different levels of what is fun. Our first trip was when DD's were 5 & 7, so they were at the same place, then they went through a period where the older one was WAY more adventerous then the younger one, now we are back to them enjoying the same things.

When they were younger we had Parent/Kid of the day combos (which I had figured out before we left) You were Dad's kid or Mom's kid for the day. It you were Dad's then you got to push all the elevator buttons, and Moms was the key card into the room. You sat next to that parent, rode with that parent, shopped with that parent. That parent had sole responsibility for that kid. This worked so great for us for years. We had no fights over sitting with daddy(they always wanted dad), pushing buttons, etc. I was in charge of the plans so I would share a "secret" with the kid I had that day ( like a special meal, snack, event, etc) . Each parent always knew who they had to watch. The girls often chose to ride 'non scary' rides together which was fine. We don't need to do this anymore, now they just take turns, but when they were little it was SOOOO much easier and everyone was SOOOO happy. I truly think it helped us enjoy disney so much more, there was nothing for them to agrue about and they always got along and had fun together.

Sorry, that was not what you even asked for!!!!!!!!! LOL

DeDixie....

I think that's a wonderful idea! My kids are waaaaaay past the age for that (19 and 12) LOL!! But, I really wish I'd thought of something like this when they were younger! Even being so far apart in age, they still found plenty to fight about! :p

Debbie
:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter