Is Half Board worth it?

AthenaBolina

Mouseketeer
We're an American family living in Germany, and I am currently planning our november 2017 trip to DLRP. I've priced out a couple options on the UK site and the German site, and am trying to get the most bang for our buck.

We'll most likely be staying at Newport Bay club level in a compass room, and we have four kids.

German site is offering 25% off right now, plus lunch or dinner (breakfast included) for 2478 Euros for 4 nights ($2633 US)

UK site is offering two free nights/days, breakfast included, for 1531 pounds (1917 US). Adding half board would cost us an additional 771 for 6 people, bringing my total to $2688.

Am trying to decide if we should go for half board or not? I'm used to doing quick service at WDW, but I've heard that the food options are totally different.

What do you get with half board? If we stay 4 nights, do we get 4 meals per person? or is it per days you stay?

I didnt want to spend that much on half board, but if we did not get it, how much can I realistically expect to spend on food? I have dietary restrictions (i'll be on low carb/high protein diet then), and I have four kids ages 11-16, plus a husband with a huge appetite. Usually with quick service we bought a few extra meals, but with snacks we were pretty good and didn't need that large third meal of the day. My thoughts for half board were using the hotel breakfast to fill up, take snacks for lunch, and then eat a meal for dinner.

I've been able to find a lot of the restaurant menus by just searching them online or checking out http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/m/ that might help you decide. To me the "plus" half board seems worth it just looking at doing a few table service restaurants but I'm just planning my first trip so hopefully someone who has actually been can help more

We're an American family living in Germany, and I am currently planning our november 2017 trip to DLRP. I've priced out a couple options on the UK site and the German site, and am trying to get the most bang for our buck.

We'll most likely be staying at Newport Bay club level in a compass room, and we have four kids.

German site is offering 25% off right now, plus lunch or dinner (breakfast included) for 2478 Euros for 4 nights ($2633 US)

UK site is offering two free nights/days, breakfast included, for 1531 pounds (1917 US). Adding half board would cost us an additional 771 for 6 people, bringing my total to $2688.

Am trying to decide if we should go for half board or not? I'm used to doing quick service at WDW, but I've heard that the food options are totally different.

What do you get with half board? If we stay 4 nights, do we get 4 meals per person? or is it per days you stay?

I didnt want to spend that much on half board, but if we did not get it, how much can I realistically expect to spend on food? I have dietary restrictions (i'll be on low carb/high protein diet then), and I have four kids ages 11-16, plus a husband with a huge appetite. Usually with quick service we bought a few extra meals, but with snacks we were pretty good and didn't need that large third meal of the day. My thoughts for half board were using the hotel breakfast to fill up, take snacks for lunch, and then eat a meal for dinner.

Can't help with dining plan but just checking you are definitely getting breakfast included because as of sometime in March it is no longer being included in packages.

ETA: Missed the bit about club level so ignore :)

Last edited:
We only did it because we had the 30% and free half board option for October, otherwise planning it out it wasn't worth it. Since you are staying in a club level room with breakfast, what does that money get you? One meal per day? That is a lot of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter