Is Disneyland a "Want" or a "Need"?

I think Disneyland falls under the "want" category, but it--or at least some kind of annual vacation--is a pretty high priority for me. Last year, we couldn't afford to go, so we went camping and stayed with friends in Montana. This year, we can't afford to go due to unexpected car repairs, but unfortunately I jumped the gun on buying tickets. We could not go and lose our plane tickets, but I'm throwing caution to the wind and going. I see people here criticize the po' folk who go to DL/WDW when they can't afford it, but I think they really don't get how much more important a break is when you are struggling and not really making it. I work, go to school, volunteer, and am a single parent, and it may not be very adult of me, but I would rather make this trip as budget as possible than tell the kids that we aren't going. So we're going . . . just with a suitcase full of our own food. And then in the future, no buying tickets till I have a better cushion saved. Luckily (or only partly due to luck--I worked my butt off to get into my Masters program), in a couple years, money won't be such a big issue anymore. Is Disney an obsession? Maybe . . . guess I'll find out if I find myself spending my disposable income on DVC points. ;)

it used to be a "need" for me. especially when the parents were spending for everything. but ever since i got a job, with all the bills and down economy, i find it harder and harder to make room for the disney "need". i too have downgraded to a "want". just my 2 cents on that.

ILuckily (or only partly due to luck--I worked my butt off to get into my Masters program), in a couple years, money won't be such a big issue anymore. Is Disney an obsession? Maybe . . . guess I'll find out if I find myself spending my disposable income on DVC points. ;)

Congrats on getting in the program you wanted--what are you getting your Masters in? And be careful--DVC points are addictive-=take it from the voice of experience!

Congrats on getting in the program you wanted--what are you getting your Masters in? And be careful--DVC points are addictive-=take it from the voice of experience!
Thanks. :) I'm getting a Masters in Speech Language Pathology, with lots of extra coursework in early intervention and special ed (going the school rather than medical path, though I'll have to do a medical internship anyway). By the time I can afford those DVC points, only my youngest will still be home, and he'll be in high school. I'm kind of dreaming of getting points and having family reunions and get togethers at WDW (all my siblings have younger children, so I think I could twist their arms). :goodvibes I'll have summers off, so I'm thinking I'll make it to WDW at least every other year.

Good topic of conversation! I can argue both sides but I'll conclude with my final answer.... I can see how the wonder and magic of the place can be a necessity to a family who has never been and saves to go. Disneyland can offer magic for families with struggles (nothing specific), but I don't think it's Disney itself that becomes a need. I think that people want something as close to an escape from everyday life as possible, and for some people that escape is manifested in Disneyland, WDW or whatever. It can give people hope.

However, I think that the term "need" is used too loosely by many people. I think that our only necessities are things we must have for survival. If you're in a horrible state in life, and you think that Disneyland is the cure for all of your problems, you need therapy. Disney is a big part of my happy place, and I don't deny my fair share of personal issues, but my priorities are survival based and those are love for my family, food on my table, clothes on my back, and plans for my survival in the future. DL trips are something to help me find escape, but it's temporary. Life must go on. So... it's a want, but has remnants of what is good for our well-being. Even still, it isn't essential for survival.

Wow that was so neanderthal of me... ooga booga!

Good topic of conversation! I can argue both sides but I'll conclude with my final answer.... I can see how the wonder and magic of the place can be a necessity to a family who has never been and saves to go. Disneyland can offer magic for families with struggles (nothing specific), but I don't think it's Disney itself that becomes a need. I think that people want something as close to an escape from everyday life as possible, and for some people that escape is manifested in Disneyland, WDW or whatever. It can give people hope.

However, I think that the term "need" is used too loosely by many people. I think that our only necessities are things we must have for survival. If you're in a horrible state in life, and you think that Disneyland is the cure for all of your problems, you need therapy. Disney is a big part of my happy place, and I don't deny my fair share of personal issues, but my priorities are survival based and those are love for my family, food on my table, clothes on my back, and plans for my survival in the future. DL trips are something to help me find escape, but it's temporary. Life must go on. So... it's a want, but has remnants of what is good for our well-being. Even still, it isn't essential for survival.

Wow that was so neanderthal of me... ooga booga!

Actually, I thought it was very eloquently stated!

Well I had heard about the car being impounded with no scratches on it like she had claimed. But WDW are you freaking serious?! I try not to judge, but WHAT A CRAZY! Who does that?!

What I'm curious is which hotel did she go to? Maybe it is the psychology major in me coming out but I would love to know what was going on in her head. It seems to everyone else like she suddenly snapped but maybe it is the last in a series of small choices she has been making. I got the feeling that she didn't do all this in order to go to WDW, but that she just thought it would be a good place to hide. :confused Or maybe it was a way to get her daughter to go along with her without complaint.

Sweeten, 38, and her 9-year-old daughter Julia Rakoczy were tracked to the Grand Floridian Hotel in Disney World Wednesday evening.

at least she had good taste!

Sweeten, 38, and her 9-year-old daughter Julia Rakoczy were tracked to the Grand Floridian Hotel in Disney World Wednesday evening.

Wow! You are just a fount of information this morning, going around with answers to all my questions in different threads! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I was just wondering if she would go for the top of the line or stay low key in a Pop.

Absolutely a "want". If your credit cards are maxed out and you are struggling to pay your bills you shouldn't be going to Disney!

I wondered why she needed $12,000 to go to WDW. Now I know--thanks!

Absolutely a "want". If your credit cards are maxed out and you are struggling to pay your bills you shouldn't be going to Disney!

Totally agree with this.

!

Well said. It is fun for the days you're there, but if you haven't covered the basic necessities of life, the bills will last for months and only add to your troubles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter