Is Disneyland a "Want" or a "Need"?

DL is a want, a strong want but a want all the same. NEVER would I not feed, clothe or make sure my kids had a roof over their head for the sake of Disney. And I'm sure that Walt would be disappointed in those that do that. My number 1 priority is making sure my girls grow up happy, healthy and well rounded with plenty of good memories. DL is important to those memories but not dependent, we can have fun without DL but while we can afford it we would rather do it with DL. :) Who knows what tomorrow will bring with this economy, what I do know if the memories we have created as a family will stay with us forever. :)

What an interesting and timely thread (for me!) :)

My Disney obsession has been growing in the last month or so. I've been buying the D23 magazine, buying behind the scenes books every time I go (and I go every 6-8 weeks, because I have season passes and live only 45 min away), and these days I post more on DIS and am listening to DISRADIO as I type this :)

So yes, I've been thinking lately: is this actually healthy?!?!

And here is what I've come up with:

#1- I do creative work for a living and being around Disney inspires me. Going to the parks, listening to the music, having cool little statues from the park scattered about...it all motivates me and inspires me to work harder and do a better job for the customers who consume the creative products that we make. And so I think that is a very good thing.

#2- I am a single dad going thru a divorce with 2 small kids. I've always been a very involved dad and I think taking my kids to Disney alot is not only fun for all of us (and we can afford it, so it's not a cash drain), but it's something we can share. There is not much an adult and 2 small kids can have in common but with Disney, I feel we bond a bit over it and I really like that I can share that with my kids (single dad or no).

#3- All of that said, it's very, very easy for me to get sucked into the Disney vortex and forget to do the adult things in life as often as I should: exercise, eat well, read things to broaden my mind, get enough rest, cultivate the all important friends and other relationships (altho I am in the market for an adult Disney buddy to share the parks with). And so it begs the question: does Disney take me away from those things? Because if it DOES then to me, it becomes a negative, unhealthy need versus just a fun WANT.

That is the real question for me: what place does Disney have in an adult's life? I read that Walt Disney never felt he made his park for the young, but for the young at heart. And to me, why is loving things like Disney any less adult or acceptable than loving things like football or scrapbooking? So to me I guess Disney is a strong, strong hobby of mine. It's a bit embarrassing at times, being a straight man in his 30's who still loves this stuff (and I'm sorry to offend anyone, but yes, to me, if you are an adult woman or a gay male who loves Disney then it just seems much more socially acceptable for some reason I can not fathom...and I am not anti-gay, my brother is gay and I form no opinions good or bad about a person simply based on their sexuality ).

Anyway, good thread- gives me something to think about for sure (i.e. am I escaping into Disney in an unhealthy way when the stresses of my life get too much...and if I am, is that any different from escaping into other more socially acceptable hobbies?...and is it actually ok - at times- to escape into something when life is too much)?

Ok heavy stuff- too much for one day! :)

Spidey

I have thought that it would be fascinating to do a psychological study of those of us who are drawn to Disney, the DIS, Disneyland, etc. Any psych students looking for a good thesis?? I'm sure there must be some patterns that you would find across the hard core DIS population. Are they all unhealthy? I hope not.

I would doubt that this falls into the realm of addiction for most of us. A good definition of addiction that I found on the web:

One simple model for understanding addiction is to apply the three Cs:

1) Behavior that is motivated by emotions ranging along the Craving to Compulsion spectrum

2) Continued use in spite of adverse consequences and

3) Loss of Control.

My guess is that many of us would qualify for the first 'C' and fall somewhere on the "Disney spectrum." However, we probably stay away from 2 and 3. Unlike drinking or drugs, you don't usually leave Disney feeling worse about yourself (oh why oh why did I take that last photo with Mickey?). Adverse consequences usually are tied to spending too much money or misdirecting time/energy that should be spent to other things (eg, work). I don't know anyone who has lost control of their lives due to an addiction to the mouse.

Hopefully most of our lives have been enhanced by Disney and the community we have found in Disney afficionados. But perhaps many of us do need to watch ourselves to make sure we stay to the "craving" side of the spectrum and don't get "compulsive" about our love for the mouse.

Interesting topic. As long as we can stay away from politics and can refrain from judging others too harshly, I think this can be a very interesting conversation. :surfweb:

what a fun post. I will say if it wasnt for my dads death benifets I would so not be going.
it is a want a strong want but not a need. an even if we could go more often we wouldn't go like every month by sacrificing stuff.(number one is to make sure my son can eat, is healthy an has clothing)
Thats why we only go once a year we save the money that dads place gave me an we split it taking half to have a good time with my son 1 time a year.

we dont do other things or go other places, we don't eat out any more. we cant afford that. so we cut way back on that an if we do we do dollar menu.

the other half is used for Christmas bdays paying back bills an buying my son's clothing.

I say who ever can get to go have fun, an if you have to live tight the rest of the year. well I do it It works. I dont have the money month to month but once a year I do so I put it away for the trip. no problem with it

Also i blame Dis Boards too

ps did you all know that Disney stock has been up yet this whole year Disney's park attendance has been down to 50% just something i was gona say

Well.. my Dh and I have gotten to the point in life when we are not so much into buying "things"..we would rather make memories and give people we love experiences. So that's why Disneyland is among the places we want to go to as well as take our family to.
Need to go? Nope.
Enjoy going, yes.
Need is water, Want is a Strawberry Kiwi SnappLe.:rotfl:

See now that is exactly like DH and I. We haven't given each other gifts or 'things' for occasions in years. Our gift to each other is the gift of travel. We love to travel and take vacations, and since I am so low maintenance I don't expect gifts on Mother's day, birthdays, xmas, etc. ;) He's low maintenance too, btw. :thumbsup2 We save the money we would waste on 'occasion' type things and frivolity (I don't need anymore jewelry, purses, clothes, flowers, etc. to know that he loves me and he doesn't either:laughing:) and we put all of what we would've spent on that stuff towards family vacation time. You can't put a price on time with loved ones and making memories. However, with that said, we sacrifice stuff so that we can have the time with our family. And when we work, we are practically workaholic.
I think going to Disney for some can be an addiction like anything else if you don't keep it under control.

My Disney obsession has been growing in the last month or so. I've been buying the D23 magazine, buying behind the scenes books every time I go (and I go every 6-8 weeks, because I have season passes and live only 45 min away), and these days I post more on DIS and am listening to DISRADIO as I type this :)

#1- I do creative work for a living and being around Disney inspires me. Going to the parks, listening to the music, having cool little statues from the park scattered about...it all motivates me and inspires me to work harder and do a better job for the customers who consume the creative products that we make. And so I think that is a very good thing.

#2- I am a single dad going thru a divorce with 2 small kids. I've always been a very involved dad and I think taking my kids to Disney alot is not only fun for all of us (and we can afford it, so it's not a cash drain), but it's something we can share. There is not much an adult and 2 small kids can have in common but with Disney, I feel we bond a bit over it and I really like that I can share that with my kids (single dad or no).

#3- All of that said, it's very, very easy for me to get sucked into the Disney vortex and forget to do the adult things in life as often as I should: exercise, eat well, read things to broaden my mind, get enough rest, cultivate the all important friends and other relationships (altho I am in the market for an adult Disney buddy to share the parks with). And so it begs the question: does Disney take me away from those things? Because if it DOES then to me, it becomes a negative, unhealthy need versus just a fun WANT.

That is the real question for me: what place does Disney have in an adult's life? I read that Walt Disney never felt he made his park for the young, but for the young at heart. And to me, why is loving things like Disney any less adult or acceptable than loving things like football or scrapbooking? So to me I guess Disney is a strong, strong hobby of mine. It's a bit embarrassing at times, being a straight man in his 30's who still loves this stuff (and I'm sorry to offend anyone, but yes, to me, if you are an adult woman or a gay male who loves Disney then it just seems much more socially acceptable for some reason I can not fathom...and I am not anti-gay, my brother is gay and I form no opinions good or bad about a person simply based on their sexuality ).

Anyway, good thread- gives me something to think about for sure (i.e. am I escaping into Disney in an unhealthy way when the stresses of my life get too much...and if I am, is that any different from escaping into other more socially acceptable hobbies?...and is it actually ok - at times- to escape into something when life is too much)?

Spidey

See, I've been having those same thoughts. Am I getting into this Disney thing just a little too much? On the other hand, I've made some fabulouso girlfriends on this Board and on many Disney trips--women that I think will be in my life even if our respective Disney obsessions wane. I tend to get in a rut and so Disney gets me out doing things and seeing people I wouldn't otherwise see. Plus, its just fun--and its fresh (well, relatively fresh!) air and sunshine. I live really close to Disneyland so part-day trips are an easy "do" for me--not a lot of cash required--but I also like staying in close-by hotels to have the full experience. (And Spidey--if you and the kids ever want the company of a 50-ish lady Disney aficianado let me know!)

I have thought that it would be fascinating to do a psychological study of those of us who are drawn to Disney, the DIS, Disneyland, etc. Any psych students looking for a good thesis?? I'm sure there must be some patterns that you would find across the hard core DIS population. Are they all unhealthy? I hope not.

I would doubt that this falls into the realm of addiction for most of us. A good definition of addiction that I found on the web:

One simple model for understanding addiction is to apply the three Cs:

1) Behavior that is motivated by emotions ranging along the Craving to Compulsion spectrum

2) Continued use in spite of adverse consequences and

3) Loss of Control.

My guess is that many of us would qualify for the first 'C' and fall somewhere on the "Disney spectrum." However, we probably stay away from 2 and 3. Unlike drinking or drugs, you don't usually leave Disney feeling worse about yourself (oh why oh why did I take that last photo with Mickey?). Adverse consequences usually are tied to spending too much money or misdirecting time/energy that should be spent to other things (eg, work). I don't know anyone who has lost control of their lives due to an addiction to the mouse.

Hopefully most of our lives have been enhanced by Disney and the community we have found in Disney afficionados. But perhaps many of us do need to watch ourselves to make sure we stay to the "craving" side of the spectrum and don't get "compulsive" about our love for the mouse.

Interesting topic. As long as we can stay away from politics and can refrain from judging others too harshly, I think this can be a very interesting conversation. :surfweb:

Yep--this was the conversation I was hoping to have. Just what impact does the "Disney life" have on us--both short and long-term? It would make a really good study--and frankly, as far as obsessions/compulsions/addictions go--I could think of worse things.

LOL--ditto, Jade, ditto!!!!!

Me too! I blame the Disboards for stirring up all this attraction and desire to be at the Happiest place on earth! My DH and DS tell me I spend way too much time on the Disboards! :lmao:And they are right! But no one else where I work or in my extended family understands the Disney addiction/attraction. They all think I'm a freak! Hello, my name is DisneySuiteFreak and I am a Disneyholic, I'm also a Disboardaholic too! Nice to meet all the rest of you Disney freaks!:goodvibes:laughing:

see we had decied to not go this year (so not the case any more) an as soon as i brought up well we might be able to swing a 4day trip not a 7 or anything long
DH looked at me an said "Im not getting my new computer am I?"

lol

so now his dad who works on computers looked at both ours. sure we could use extra space but its cheaper to buy a few pieces an let him put it in for free.

So yes now DH isnt getting his computer an yes we are putting that towards Disney. Its also because my bday card will more likely go towards gifts for Christmas.

But next year dh says we aren't going he says next time we go is for his bday in feb (idk who he thinks hes talking to but the man can dream)

Its definiltey a want not a need.
We went to WDW at least once a yr from 2003-2007 and 6 times before that btw 1991 and 2001. For us, it was adn still is high priority on our list...probably one of the top things on our want list
But we do it cheap....when we went in 2007 for christmas we went for 6 nights/7 days for less than $2500 total for 3 adults (airfare, food, hotel, tickets and souvineirs)
We had rules when going on these trips
1)we never planned more than 3 or 4 months ahead....we had a better grip on our finances and there was less chance we had to cancel
2)we only ever went if we could get a AAA rate at a value or mod (depending on the budget) (except for our one splurge at Wilderness Lodge)
3)we only went if we could get RT airfare for less than $150/person (we got as low as $100 RT in 2007
4)2 or 3 sit down meals no matter how long we were going for

We also make choices....
We dont eat out very often at all....once a week at the most MAYBE adn that is usually on days that i have drs appointments more than an hour away
We dont buy a lot of clothes...we dont need new clothes for each season
We dont have big screen TVs
We dont have expensive cell phones
We dont have expensive cars (we have 2 toyota camrys adn a toyota prius)
we have 2 computers (mine for school adn my parents share one adn my dad ocassionaly has one from work)

But we were also lucky with my parents jobs for a while....My dads job paid for everything we needed adn my mom had a PT job which brought in the "fun" money

My parents skipped a WDW trip in 2008 ( i went with a friend and paid for myself) becasue my dad got a new job in california (we lived in virginia) and that is why we are skipping 2009 as well. We bought a forclosure that needed a lot of work adn just th emove itself was expensive.
But....we are going back in 2010
We have had plans for years to go to WDW for my moms 50th (whihc is this yr), my dads 60th adn my 21st (both of which are june next yr)...so we've been saving for a while but everytime we talk about going out to eat or buying something we always think of whether we need it or if we would rather save for DIsney adn we will keep doing this until we have the $4500 that we want for the trip....after we have thta, we can go back ot being a LITTLE more lose wiht the eatin gout and stuff but for now disney is our first want

My number 1 priority is making sure my girls grow up happy, healthy and well rounded with plenty of good memories. DL is important to those memories but not dependent

Ohh, wonderful, so true!

Seriously. The Dis Board is such an enabler. Geesh.

Spidey

Very good points. :)

For me, Disneyland is a place where I recharge my batteries and either blow off steam from work related stress or gear up before plunging myself back into the heart of work related stress. While we all certainly need relief and respite from our stresses, we must also find that relief in wisdom and in order. While they may not be as fun as a day in Disneyland, there are a lot of other ways that we can cope with and deal with the stress that comes in day to day life.

Once DH gave the okay for a trip this year it went from "I want to go" to "I NEED to go now!!" LOL :yay:

Well.. my Dh and I have gotten to the point in life when we are not so much into buying "things"..we would rather make memories and give people we love experiences. So that's why Disneyland is among the places we want to go to as well as take our family to.

We are the same way. The kids have clothes, toys, books, games..... I would rather spend the $$ on less "stuff" and more "memories". We would rather go on a fun trip than spend the $$ on "disposable" toys (which is pretty much ALL toys with 4 kids, and 2 more I babysit ;) ).

well my dh has been pushing. lol
an this post made me think alot
an there is a possibility we will just wait an go next year see the new stuff an spend the money this year on other things.

this post+dh+just nothing going right It may just be the best choice. to wait.

Its not like fantasmic or the Christmas tour wont be there next year.

Jade: it's hard to be an adult sometimes, isn't it? I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family.

Spidey

Good for you for maintaining a bond with your kiddos through Disney. The world needs more really great fathers :goodvibes.

I think about the exercise/food/sleep thing too, but then I'm not sure if it's Disney or more relative things affecting this. Disney is one slice of a very big pie called "life", at least for me.

I think there are far more men that are Disney fans than these boards reflect. I know of four straight ment that love Disney but don't frequent these boards. So you are not alone!

Oh, and as for the OP's question, it's a want, not a need, but it's a want I really need :laughing:!

For sure a want. My kids and myself have been thru some tough years. Their Dad died last year at 39 from cancer really unexpected. I myself am a 12 year cancer survivor. Kids Dad was a huge Disney fan, we have many many wonderful memories.
In wanting to keep making wonderful memories we put DL in front of other "things".....things are just things and lose their sparkle but memories last a lifetime :)

Oh, and as for the OP's question, it's a want, not a need, but it's a want I really need :laughing:!

:rotfl:

For sure a want. My kids and myself have been thru some tough years. Their Dad died last year at 39 from cancer really unexpected. I myself am a 12 year cancer survivor. Kids Dad was a huge Disney fan, we have many many wonderful memories.
In wanting to keep making wonderful memories we put DL in front of other "things".....things are just things and lose their sparkle but memories last a lifetime :)

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Sounds like you and your kids have good priorities--and you're right --memories are forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter