Is Disney pushing us to spend more time at resorts, less in parks

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Mississippian, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Mississippian

Mississippian DIS Veteran

I've had a number of annual passes over the years, although I frequently would let them expire and then get another later. I've always found them an excellent value, especially for the room discounts.

It seems that Disney is more generous these days with pretty good room discounts, and the annual passes seem to have gotten much more expensive in relation to the 7-day pass. I can remember when the cost of the annual pass was equal to the 7-day pass plus a day.

Anyway, my kids and I are headed to WDW in a month, and this time I decided to go with 7-Day Park Hopper Plus pass, with 4 plus features. FWIW, I bouth them through The DIS, which as I understand sponsors this website. They were about $40 cheaper than Disneys price, and also less than any other ticket broker.

Anyway, our touring strategy has now changed. We're arriving at WDW at 2 p.m. on a Sunday and leaving at 1 p.m. on a Wednesday. In the olden days this would have meant four days of park visits, although two of those days would have been for just a few hours. On this trip, there is just no way we're going to visit the parks for just a few hours and burn a full day on our passes.

So our plan this year is to spend a lot more time around our resort (POFQ but might decide to upgrade). We'll swim and perhaps go to Downtown Disney to see what is there.

Perhaps all this is part of Disney's plan. Or perhaps it's just their desire to jack up the price of the AP's until it hurts.

In any event, we've switched to Park Hoppers, and the end result is that we will without doubt spend fewer days at WDW in the coming year, and even fewer days in the parks.

Just curious if anyone knows whether this is part of some sort of plan.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

I don't see it as part of a plan. The AP is there if you plan on coming to the parks more. If you don't then there are passes of different lengths to suit your visit.

I bought many park hopper tickets for my visits. I didn't have to pay as much and it worked for our touring the parks.

It seems Disney can't win. The ones that buy the AP for resort discounts and then complain when they don't get them, or the people that think it is stacked in Disney's favor by buying an AP.

The AP is designed to offer you 365 days of park admission. It also gives you if WDW decides to offer great discounts on rooms, etc. It is not a rewards card for loyal visitors.

Just my two cents worth.

4. lillygator

lillygator DIS Veteran

When I was a little girl - my grandparents always bought us annual passes every year and that was back when your picture was on it and everything. They WERE so much less expensive back then!

I don't really think Disney is trying to get you to spend more time at the resorts. I would think you would spend more money at the parks anyway, unless you are racking up a room service or bar bill at the hotel.

5. kinggoofy

kinggoofy DIS Veteran

I don't think they are trying to get you to spend more time at the resort. IMO...if they were, they would UPGRADE the cable TV channels.

Being from Chicago, ( and a Cubs fan ) ...forget about trying to catch a Cubs game. No WGN TV. If they are not on ESPN ..no luck. ( they used to have WGN radio. Not anymore)

Disney TV in English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, for the hearing impaired. and yada..yada..yada.

I wil say this....I wish they would GET rid of 2 channels. The soap opera network and Lifetime.

I call Lifetime "THE MISERABLE WOMENS TELEVISION NETWORK."

But no...they are not trying to keep you in the resort. They make more money when you are at the parks or DTD.

I wonder if they are losing money on the AP's. ? Not thinking the amount of people , like us, who keep going back.

6. PamOKW

PamOKW <font color=green>The two most important items for

If Disney owns it -- it's on the channels at WDW. Lifetime, Soap Net, ESPN....all owned in whole or in part by The Disney Company.

7. dizneykid

dizneykid <font color=FF00CC>The Tag Fairy offers you pixie

My DH and I have annual passes, I thought the price wasn't so bad. We bought them because: 1. We live 1 1/2 hours from Disney, and 2. We go at least twice a month and then vacation twice a year for a couple of days.

I thought that was what an annual pass was for. At first, I didn't even know you could get room discounts. That was a great perk and saves us tons of money.

Have a great day. :D

8. chamonix

chamonix DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Mississippian wrote:
    Maybe my memory or my math is wrong, but annual passes are still equal to 7 day tickets plus one day. Annual passes are $379. Single day tickets are $54.75. When I looked up Park Hoppers or Ultimate Hoppers, etc. the 7 day prices were over $300. I realize you are getting some "pluses" but if that is not factored in, the 7 days plus one is still true. The ticket you say you bought at a discount here at the Dis was a 7 day Park Hopper Plus for $317. Add a single day ticket for $54 and you get: $371. OK, I assume you are not posting over the 8 dollars difference, since the Dis ticket discount probably is for more than that--the gate price of that Hopper is a bit more. So--if you are staying at DW for more than 8 days, I still say it is most cost effective to get an AP. As I said, my math may be wrong, but the AP seems to me to be nearly the same as the other tickets if paying for 8 days in the parks. It still seems like the same deal you refer to being in the past.
    As to whether or not Disney wants us to hang around the resorts more, if they do, I don't see that reflected in the ticket prices. I do see them emphasizing the qualities of the entire resort so as to attract people who might not be into just the parks--grandpas who like to golf, for example, or their spas, etc. I just thought it was a way to entice extended families there who think it is "just an amusement park" and a way to get people to spend more days overall at WDW--in the resorts, in the parks, anywhere but in the rooms watching TV, LOL!