Is DCL done discounting cruises-recommendations for next best cruise line/ship?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
I have been keeping up with the GT thread and it seems like DCL is done discounting cruises to fill their ships. We have always been able to book a discounted rate by early June for fall sailings and this year the fall sailings are still WAY beyond our price range/budget :(
Sadly-if DCL is done with discounts we will have to find another cruise line because I have yet to see an opening day rate within our budget...
Can anyone recommend a next best line/ship with kids? My husband and I sailed with Carnival and NCL before we had kids but DCL is the only vacation that my 8 and 13 year old ask for these days!

Economy is up and there filling the ships up. No need for discounts, this is the risk if you wait to the last minute there maybe no discounts, they may be back late September.

RCL have nice ships but the kids clubs and entertainment is nothing like DCL.

RCCl is ok, like DF pointed out and NCL has some modern ships with stuff for the kids.I would not sail Carnival.

Do a lot of price comparing because the other lines are also slowly raising fares and or cutting back on amenities, especially NCL, the folks on their boards have been complaining for awhile now.

What ever you do, enjoy your cruise.

AKK

DCL hasn't been releasing discounts very early. For a while, it seemed *GT came out at day 74, but the past year or so it has been much more likely to be within the 30-60 day range. So still a little early to expect to see fall discounts. That said, discounts for the summer cruises have been few and far between this year so obviously DCL is feeling they aren't necessary. Whether that will continue into the slower fall season or not remains to be seen.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you end up doing!

I think the best discounts are late Oct through February. There were GT rates in May and early June and one in July so far. I don't think there gone. Maybe they just didn't need to offer them this Summer. It's still pretty early for Fall discounts.

RCI and NCL seem like the most family friendly cruise lines outside of DCL.

Let me qualify the NCL comments. We have done one of the older ships (Dawn) and one of the new builds (Getaway). Honestly we weren't impressed by the Dawn. Probably the least favourite ship we have sailed. Getaway however was wonderful. So much so we have her booked again this August. Rank it below the Fantasy, but ahead of the Dream (granted in large part because the Dream does short cruises only). Still you get a little teary any time you cruise and park beside a Disney ship.

Now the changes NCL has been making over the last few months under the new management has left a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. Some of it they have backed off on, some of it they haven't. Seems to be the way a lot of the major lines are moving unfortunately.

FWIW, I cruised NCL Getaway last week and I loved it, but it was my first cruise, which means I've never been on DCL.

There weren't a lot of kids on my cruise--or else they were glued to the kids' area--but the ones I saw always seemed quite happy/excited.

We just got off Oasis and had a fantastic time. We love our Disney cruises but found we liked RCCL also. A lot of things for the kids and U.S. To do.

We are looking at RCI for Alaska next summer. I am a bit afraid that doing Disney first may have spoiled us, but we can cruise more often if we don't pay Disney prices!

Do a lot of price comparing because the other lines are also slowly raising fares and or cutting back on amenities, especially NCL, the folks on their boards have been complaining for awhile now.
RCCl is ok, like DF pointed out and NCL has some modern ships with stuff for the kids.I would not sail Carnival.

What ever you do, enjoy your cruise.

AKK

Just wanted to say that we did our first NCL cruise on the Getaway and have nothing but positive things to say about NCL and the Getaway . I had also read about them cutting back on the amenities but did not see that at all. The service was just a good and friendly as DCL, food quality and verity as good as DCL and better in some ways. The water park with the 4 slides and the rope/walk the plank course blew the aqua duck out of the water...no pun intended. The ship was immaculate just like DCL. We were able to get a balcony room on deck 9 for 1/2 the price of a ocean view on deck 2 on DCL. I have been a DCL cheerleader for years and still love DCL but have found that I can get a great cruise on other lines and pay a lot less.

Have done many times solo but never with my niece & nephews.
7a11.jpg

Just wanted to say that we did our first NCL cruise on the Getaway and have nothing but positive things to say about NCL and the Getaway . I had also read about them cutting back on the amenities but did not see that at all. The service was just a good and friendly as DCL, food quality and verity as good as DCL and better in some ways. The water park with the 4 slides and the rope/walk the plank course blew the aqua duck out of the water...no pun intended. The ship was immaculate just like DCL. We were able to get a balcony room on deck 9 for 1/2 the price of a ocean view on deck 2 on DCL. I have been a DCL cheerleader for years and still love DCL but have found that I can get a great cruise on other lines and pay a lot less.

Hi TX, and I agree you can get a great standard cruise on some lines, no doubt about it. But you cannot get the Magic and Pixie Dust of DCL, except on DCL.

As to NCL I am going on what I am reading on NCL forums and what some friends are telling us. Nice new ships but cut backs, to the point they are trying HAL and celebrity for their next cruises. I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Gateway.

We are doing RCCL to Bermuda next.

My original post was suggesting RCCL and a recommendation to do a lot of price comparisons as lines are raising pricing and changes the amenities. I didn't even suggest DCL as the OP was looking for other lines.

AKK

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter