Is Costco still best place to buy cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by borgthe, Feb 5, 2012.

1. borgthe

borgthe DIS Veteran DVC Gold

I have been searching obsessively for the best price, and because of this board I discovered Costco offers a $215 cash card for booking my cruise. Everyone else is offering $100 onboard credit or less. Does anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Everyone must sell DCL for the same price. THe ways they differ is in the value of whatever "thank you" gift they may offer and the service they provide.

Costco offers a large gift card...so if you shop there, that can be a nice perk. On the other hand if you are looking for service, this is not the place to find it.

4. CruisinEars

CruisinEars Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

We always book through Costco. This next one we are getting over $400 in our gift card. It is a good deal for us. We also always get the Costco insurance since the price and coverage are better.

As far as service, we have had great service from Costco. We just booked our next on online while we were in Australia. The next day we decided to upgrade to the next category. We weren't able to call so I emailed and asked if someone could help us with the change. Got a reply back relatively quickly from an agent and I emailed her back with our request and it was done within 24 hours and she got us the cabin we requested. We were very pleased.

5. princesscinderella

princesscinderella Mouseketeer

I have booked all my cruises thru Costco or onboard naming Costco. The cash card can not be beat. We also get the insurance through the company they have pre negotiated a great policy that cover pre existing conditions and includes a extended family such as aunt, uncles, inlaws etc and their illnesses or death as reasons for cancelation. I have never had any problems with their service, you don't necessarily have one travel agent, but you can always call the 800 and get great service.

6. ansmom

ansmom Earning My Ears

We book all our cruises (DCL and others) through Costco the incentives can't be beat for the ones we've booked. I've only had a problem once and I just hung up and called back to get a different rep and it was taken care of.

7. GoHabsGo

GoHabsGo Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me whether I can now name Costco as my TA (having forgotten to name anyone when onboard booking was done...)?

8. Tweet

Tweet Mouseketeer

We are Costco members and never knew we could book through them. Does anyone have the phone number or name of someone from there?

9. CruisinEars

CruisinEars Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

You can book online at Costco.com and then look under the Travel tab or call 877-849-2730.

10. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

Can I use Costco for travel insurance if I booked my cruise through another travel agent?

11. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

I will receive an 8% rebate in the form of a Costco Cash Card a few weeks after we return from our cruise. I ran all the OBC offers prior to booking and this save us the most $. Of course it is not instant or even OBC, but... we decided it made the most sense at the time.
    I didn't hear about the insurance unfortunately:sad2:
    Service.. who needs service? I need a # to call to pay when I have extra monies. :lmao:

12. cats mom

cats mom Mouseketeer<br><br><font color=green>Has a wild an

Last time I checked Costco would not accept transferred ressies, so unless policy has changed recently - no.

I'm sure that rule is in place because DCL only gives TA's full commission if the agent is named at the time of booking. If an existing reservation is transferred later, they only get partial commission.

13. mcmckuf

mcmckuf Mouseketeer

Do you have to be a Costco member to use the travel agency? I only ask because some of the club services do not, such as alcohol, etc.

14. munchie

munchie Earning My Ears

Wow, never knew about Costco giving cash cards back for cruise bookings... have any Canadians out there used Costco?

15. GoHabsGo

GoHabsGo Mouseketeer

Thanks - even though you have disappointed me greatly :rotfl:

16. hrhdhd

hrhdhd Mouseketeer

Yes. To book online or by phone, you have to provide a Costco membership number.

17. mommyz

mommyz Mouseketeer

That is true. They will not take a transferred reservation.

18. woodduckmn

woodduckmn Mouseketeer

Go to c o s t c o t r a v e l . c o m to see their offers. We have used them for DL also to get hotel and tickets, you get a free sit-down meal.

19. crusingmama

crusingmama Earning My Ears

I am new to cruising but I booked my first cruise with Costco last year (Royal Caribbean) and it was a GREAT deal. I also used them for my upcoming Fantasy cruise this summer. I am a frequent Costco shopper so I will have no problem using up my sizable cash card that I will be receiving.

As there is a lot of debate as to whether you will receive the cash card if you book onboard for a future cruise, I called Costco myself to get an answer right from the horse’s mouth. The key to getting the cash card is that you have to declare Costco as the agent of record when booking your future cruise on board. If you don't declare or declare another agent and then try to change to Costco=NO CASH CARD.

20. cnj

cnj Mouseketeer

We booked online and did not name Costco. I waited until I had everything set up and just called Costco and transferred it to them. They did this with absolutely no problems and I am getting 8% back when we cruise. I have done this with all my reservations, including ones made onboard and have had no problems transferring to them. I transferred the latest one in October. Have never named a travel agent when booking.

21. cnj

cnj Mouseketeer

I do not know if they have changed with onboard bookings, but the worst they can say is no.