Is ANYTHING new ever coming to MGM?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by DisOrBust, Apr 9, 2003.

1. DisOrBust

DisOrBust <font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A

MGM was always my Dh's favorite park but they keep getting rid of shows there. Has anyone heard of any replacements for Hunchback or Doug?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MikePezz

MikePezz 1,000th happy haunt

Bring back superstar TV!

That was a unique concept. Disney could even make a few bucks by selling tapes of to the participants after the show.

4. daannzzz

daannzzz OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled

Maybe they will move Superstar Limo from DCA to Disney MGM Studios.

5. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

As a Disneyland Resort Passholder, I can only pray that they do move Superstar Limo to Florida so I don't have to see acknowledge its existance anymore.

6. OnWithTheShow

OnWithTheShow No Entangling Alliances

Look for new attractions to be announced in the next year or two, they will most likely include the long awaited star tours makeover (could be announced as early as the star wars weekends next month) one or two new attractions in the backlot area, and a new show for abc tv theater.

7. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Woohoo!!! This would be great. A new show in the abc theater and another in the old Hunchback area would be super. I don't have a lot of faith in a new Star Wars attraction but I hope that you're right.

And what about a character meal? MGM really needs one now. :mad:

8. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MGM just get the new 'Stars & Cars' Parade, along with the BAH and the other stuff for the 100 years celebration?

Frankly, if I was running Disney, I'd be more worried about Disneyland: They're approaching the 50th Anniversary & nothing seems to be planned for it. Yes, they did just put in a version of Pooh, but Tomorrowland is practically empty...

Sarangel

9. DisOrBust

DisOrBust <font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A

The "new" stars in cars parade replaced the old Mulan parade so I don't look at that as "added". The "Walt's dream" is a new attraction but I don't think it makes up for loosing Huntchback and Doug. Personally I am waiting for the axe to drop on WWTBAM. I can't imagine they would keep that around for long after it was cancelled. Besides they could come up with a new attraction based on "I'm a Celebratey..Get me outta here!".

As a "family Park" if your kids don't do TOT or RNRC it 's become a "half" day park IMHO.

10. Greg K.

Greg K. Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon

...they may be freshening up the Great Movie Ride, and adding something called Cinemagique (sp?) from Disneyland Paris.

The Walt Disney Story walk-through is sorta neat and new, though, isn't it? I know it's not as thrilling as the Rock-n-Roller Coaster, but I liked it. :D

11. doubletrouble_vb

doubletrouble_vb Inspired

Mmmm well I hope they add something...as much as people call AK a half day park I definitely treat MGM that way. I think its because it is a park based on movies and I had an expectation that they would include new blockbusters as time goes on.

12. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

I thought Who Wants to be a Millionaire was still on in Syndication? With a different host. I see commercials for it all the time.

13. mudhen

mudhen Mouseketeer

Millionaire is still on, one the ladies from "The
    View" hosts it. We get it at 4 or 4:30 here in
    Toledo.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I feel that TDA execs
    over the years have have turned a deaf ear towards
    the PR people and Imagineers, and instead got in
    bed with bean counters. I know, I know, bad economy this, war that, it's a business this,
    profit margins that. But it just seems that many
    new attractions lately have been, "what can we do
    to pacify our guests at a minimal cost to us".
    Instead of, "How can we WOW the heck out of our guests and be steps ahead in the theme park industry".

Mission Space, Philarmagic, and this Everest thing
    may change that, at least I hope. I just wish it
    wouldn't take years from announcement to opening.

14. stinkerbelle

stinkerbelle In a #10 sort of way?<br><font color=green>Sometim

I totally agree with MGM being a "half day park". Seriously - what is there to do?

TOT
    RNRC
    Indy (and it's getting old)
    GMR
    Back stage tour (also - getting old)
    beauty and the beast
    star tours
    WWTBAM

Hell - I just walked around the park in my mind and i got bored. I'm not a roller coaster fan - so DF rides RNRC to his hearts content while I either get some sun or shop.

It's not that it doesn't offer alot - it's what it offers is getting OLD...alot of the "repeat guests" need to see something new.

15. Greg K.

Wouldn't it make sense for them to add a version of the Indy ride from Disneyland to MGM?

Or the Indy coaster from DL Paris?

Or maybe even the Roger Rabbit ride from DL?

Any of those would add a little sizzle, don'cha think?

16. Greg K.

FWIW: Here's what WDWMAGIC.com has to say about Cinemagique, from last fall...

---

The popular attraction from the new Walt Disney Studios in Paris is being strongly tipped to be installed into the Disney MGM Studios in 2005.

Below is a description from the Paris version.

SCRIPT

Guests take their seats in an 1100-seat movie theatre that is reminiscent of the projection rooms found in the Hollywood movie studios. Seen from the outside, the studio presents the same Spanish Revival architecture as the movie palaces built in Hollywood in the 1930s. Inside, the screening room is equipped with the very latest technological innovations, while everything from the usher's uniforms to the art deco interior design offer guests a nostalgic glimpse of the cinema of the past.

The cinema show gets under way with a selection of cinema's greatest moments. Suddenly, a member of the audience interrupts the screening. The wizard on the silver screen is distracted by this, and magically transports the culprit from the auditorium into the movie! The 'hero' is plunged into an incredible series of adventures, finding himself in the midst of a variety of film genres including comedy, westerns, action, adventure, musicals and… romance.

During the adventure, the hero falls in love with the young and beautiful leading lady, and at one point attempts to save her life by taking an arrow that was destined for her.

The dramatic climax to the film features a knight who hurls a huge sword 'through' the silver screen, offering the hero an escape route to reality. Once back, he is nevertheless confronted with a choice: should he stay in his own familiar world or risk everything and return to an unknown place where love may await…?

17. OnWithTheShow

OnWithTheShow No Entangling Alliances

Just an interesting note, the ABC TV Theater has 1000 seats. Hmmmm...

Scoop, post or PM me with what you have heard about the Backlot Theater. I have actually heard that it will be removed not get a new show.

18. Another Voice

Another Voice Charter Member of The Element

"Maybe the ABC Theater is an option"

If you've seen the ratings for ABC – The Network you'll understand why there will not be any major additions to the parks for at least five years.

19. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression

Given where the parks are now, I understand why Epcot and AK should be the first priorities. Epcot's attendance is sinking like Stitch in the Pacific Ocean, and AK has declined each year since it opened.

But all the parks need a certain amount of ongoing investment, and I'm not sure that one major attraction every 8-10 years is adequate (3-4 years since RnRC, +5 possibly until next). Perhaps things like Cinemagique, or a replacement for Hunchback will tide MGM over, if they do happen. But if MGM really is largely ignored for another 5 years, Disney may find it in the same shape Epcot is in today, and need another "revitalization" (Eisner's word, not mine).

You can't rob Peter to pay Paul and expect Peter not to suffer.

For us, MGM is a day and a half. We have a 4 year old, which brings Playhouse Disney into the equation (for now), and some of our group enjoys ToT and RnRC, though we don't like that we have to split up due to some not being able to, or not wanting to ride.

That said, we were underwhelmed by the backlot tour, and skipped it last time. Millionaire has no appeal to us either. With Hunchback now closed, and the GMR probably going to be closed for rehab on our next trip, MGM probably is back to a one-day park for us. Due to Star Wars Weekends, however, we are scheduling 2 days...

20. wdwguide

wdwguide Ex Guide Book Author

I can see how the Studios would be last in line - RnRC, Tower of Terror 4 (which Disney pretty much considers a new attraction) and Fantasmic are among the most recent additions to any of the parks.
    Still, it's sad that after almost a decade and a half the park does still not offer a whole day experience.

I personally think what the Studios need most is a family-friendly dark ride, followed by a re-imagineering of the Lucas-attractions and some new scenes for the Great Movie Ride (if just Miramax hadn't passed up Lord of the Rings...). Time to tear down the useless New York Street set and *do* something with that real estate.

21. grinningghost

grinningghost <font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family

I really wish they'd bring back Superstar TV. Even though it used the same shows over and over, it was always a different experience because new people were participating. One of my greatest MGM memories is a SSTV "Cheers" segment. One of the guys in the "birthday" scene was hysterical.

I also agree with the need for a family friendly dark ride. The backlot tour needs some updated sets. Alot of younger people don't know much about Ernest or the Golden Girls.

And why MGM even thought about closing the GMR is beyond me. That's the most movie-oriented attraction in all of MGM. It IS a movie theme park, isn't it? Jeesh, I hope the rehab is a good one and that it hangs around for awhile.