Ireland - Ring of Kerry?

marcemch

Mouseketeer
Ireland is on my short list, but I've always wanted to see the Ring of Kerry area, and ABD doesn't go there. For any Ireland travelers, either on ABD or otherwise, I have a couple of questions.
- Do you agree that the Ring of Kerry is a "MUST SEE"? Or is it very similar to the last day on the tour - the Cliffs of Moher area?
- Any ideas on how to do this before or after the trip, without renting a car? I understand that driving in Ireland is not that bad (I've done it before for 2 weeks in England), BUT it's just me and my 12 year old this time, and I'd prefer not to take that on without a good map/sign reader as my co-pilot.
Am wondering about taking a bus/train from Shannon to some town nearby, then catching a tour from there. Any thoughts on this? Wondering if anyone who has done the Ireland ABD has done this before or after the tour.
Thanks!

Unfotunately I don't a definitive answer to your question, but we are looking at going to Ireland next year and do not want to rent a car either. I am interested in hearing feedback from others about the Ring of Kerry too.

I know someone who went to Ireland this past summer and his family (they had cars) did Ring of Kerry AND Dingle Peninsula. His advice after doing both of those is that they are much of the same thing and it is not necessary to do both. He said that traveling the Ring of Kerry takes a lot longer than going out onto the Dingle Peninsula. However, I don't think the ABD trip does the Dingle Peninsula either.

Since we have never been to Ireland before I have been wondering if it is a must Ring of Kerry (or Dingle Peninsula) is a must see.

Ireland is on my short list, but I've always wanted to see the Ring of Kerry area, and ABD doesn't go there. For any Ireland travelers, either on ABD or otherwise, I have a couple of questions.
- Do you agree that the Ring of Kerry is a "MUST SEE"? Or is it very similar to the last day on the tour - the Cliffs of Moher area?
- Any ideas on how to do this before or after the trip, without renting a car? I understand that driving in Ireland is not that bad (I've done it before for 2 weeks in England), BUT it's just me and my 12 year old this time, and I'd prefer not to take that on without a good map/sign reader as my co-pilot.
Am wondering ut taking a bus/train from Shannon to some town nearby, then catching a tour from there. Any thoughts on this? Wondering if anyone who has done the Ireland ABD has done this before or after the tour.
Thanks!

I didn't go to the Ring of Kerry but when I was in Ireland I was speaking to a Garda and he suggested visiting it so it must be a nice site. I can tell you that if you want to do an extra day, there were people in our group that took the transfer to shannon airport and rented a car for the day and drove to go and see something (can't remember what ) and then they were staying at a hotel at the airport and leaving the following day. If you don't want to stay an extra day you there is an entire free day at Dromoland castle but you would need to take a cab to the nearest town and try to get a tour from there. Personally I would not miss the day at Dromoland there are many activities, and the grounds are amazing, and I did a hawk walk which was a awesome experience.

I highly recommend the trip, I loved this trip so much that I would take it again in the future.

Our Ireland ABD trip 3 years ago did do a part of the Ring of Kerry, a third to half of it I think. It was quiet a beautiful drive and we took some gorgeous pictures there. It is one of the "classic" sights to see. If I recall correctly it was closest to Killarney. It's a shame they removed it from the itinerary. And it's very different from the Cliffs of Mohr. I am unsure of the logistics as to how you would do it as an add on.

I do remember as we drove around Galway bay on the way to the castle hotel thinking how gorgeous that was and I wished I had more time to spend there. So if you can't get to the Ring of Kerry, that might be a good alternative as it is closer to Shannon.

Thanks to all for your input so far.
I have found two companies on-line that do a day-long Ring of Kerry tour: One from Dublin, and one from Killarney.

From Dublin, the tour takes you on a train to Mallow, then transfer to a bus to Killarney, where the Ring of Kerry tour begins. It's an ALL day trip needless to say, most of the time just getting to Killarney, but it would be easy, because I'd just have to get to the train station in Dublin. In this instance, I'd need to do two pre nights in Dublin, and we'd go the day before the ABD trip begins.

The one from Killarney would have some logistic challenges. I think we'd have to get from Dromoland after the tour is over to Limmerick (taxi, I guess, unless we could talk the ABD folks to dropping us there instead of Shannon), then take the bus from there to Killarney to catch the tour. I think we'd have to stay in Limmerick for two post nights. So that means I'd have to also have to figure out transportation from Limmerick to Shannon airport - probably a taxi. Less en-route time, but more logistical hassle.

I will call ABD, and maybe even Dromoland Castle (perhaps other people who have stayed there have done this?) and the tour company to see if they have any input on this. I welcome any comments on these options.

We did the ring of Kerry in 2007, driving ourselves. It was beautiful, if you can go you should. It is a long drive all the way around. In hindsight we would have driven in about 1/4 way, then turned around. It's hilarious, the posted speed limit is 100 km/hr but your lucky if you can go 30 km/hr, the roads are that tight. A bus in front of us lost their side mirror, scratching along another bus that was coming from the opposite direction. My husband did the driving and was stressed about the driving. BUT, that's just our opinion.

Am wondering about taking a bus/train from Shannon to some town nearby, then catching a tour from there. Any thoughts on this? Wondering if anyone who has done the Ireland ABD has done this before or after the tour.
Thanks!

Cliffs of Moher as well as Ring of Kerry IMO -

both are a must see. To me, car rental - just please be aware of where you can drop off the car when done.:goodvibes

have fun thou - it's a very beautiful adventure:goodvibes

Cheers

&

T.T.F.N.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter