Iraqi Food/Baghdad

Wislodgers

Mouseketeer
I am looking for some recipes for my daughter's college friend. He is from Baghdad and here on a student program for 4 years. He said he misses food from home, but is very gracious about eating anything. He is Muslim, so I know that pork is not served, but does anyone have any recipes? I am looking for main dishes, desserts or anything!

I don't know specifically about Iraq, but we are living in the middle east. Kofta is a regional meat dish that we've had in most of the Middle Eastern countries we've visited. Basically lamb seasoned and grilled, or cooked in skillet... on kabobs or just flat sort of like a burger. Do a search, there are many recipes.

Eggplant...hummous...schwarma...
A dessert is Um Ahli , sort of a bread pudding, but much more liquidy than usa bread pudding.

Google "Iraqi recipes" and see what you find. Good luck!

I found this at recipe z a a r . com
I've only made six posts, and it won't
let me do it if there are any links. What
I had to do was put a bunch of spaces
in that site name. But if you enter it with
a w w w . before it, and no spaces between
any of the letters, it will take you to the site.

I wonder if he's had this breakfast before?
If memory serves me correctly, the King Arthur
Flour Baking Company sells rose water.

Sweet Vermicelli Breakfast (Gluten Free)

Recipe #361328 | 43 min | 10 min prep |

A tasty sweet breakfast like dessert made in Arabian Gulf countries especially during the month of Ramadan. This dish is called by a few different names.

SERVES 4 (change servings and units)

Ingredients

* 450 g rice vermicelli
* 1 cup sugar
* 2-3 teaspoons ground cardamom
* 3 tablespoons rose water (some use orange blossom water, I have yet to try it that way)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil (may use butter)
* 1 pinch saffron
* 3 liters water

Directions

1. Place vermicelli on oven trays under broiler until golden brown. Watch carefully. May need turning to color all.

2. Remove from oven and cook in 3 liters of boiling water for precisely 3 minutes.

3. Drain and set aside.

4. In a large pan mix the other tbls oil or butter with sugar, cardamom, saffron, and rose water stirring over medium heat.

5. Add the vermicelli, stirring to combine, let it cook over very low heat for 1/2 hour.

6. Serve warm.

I hope that you and your exchange student have
a great year getting to know each other! If you want
the American measurements, you can look this up
on the site and it will give a 'translation' for you.

I don't know specifically about Iraq, but we are living in the middle east. Kofta is a regional meat dish that we've had in most of the Middle Eastern countries we've visited. Basically lamb seasoned and grilled, or cooked in skillet... on kabobs or just flat sort of like a burger. Do a search, there are many recipes.

Eggplant...hummous...schwarma...
A dessert is Um Ahli , sort of a bread pudding, but much more liquidy than usa bread pudding.

Google "Iraqi recipes" and see what you find. Good luck!

I LOVE schwarmas!!!! They are so good.

I used to live in Saudi and I have a cookbook from there. I could give you some recipes from the book, just let me know.

The first time I stayed away from home/overseas for any length of time, one of my sisters wrote out some of mom's (ie ours) favourite yet easy recipes, and mailed it to me (yes, pre-internet, pre-home computer days).

I still have it in my recipe box! I made cottage pudding, corn-pineapple salad, pancakes from scratch, apple crumble, muffins and more for my friends. Even carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Just maybe, his mom/sisters (or their cook) could do the same for you. You might need a translation, double checked, but still, besides just getting his ethnic foods, you'd be getting ones you know he liked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter