iPhone 5 vs Budget Compact

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by havoc315, Jan 6, 2013.

1. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

After a discussion in another thread, I thought I would try a blind "taste test."
    There is no question that a dSLR will give better image results than an iPhone. Same can be said for a mid-level or high-level compact camera.

But if you already have an iPhone 5, or Galaxy III, or one of the other top smart phone cameras, should you spend another $50-$100 just to have a seperate compact camera?

For this test, I used my iphone5, and I used a 2-3 year-old Sony Cybershot that we bought for my son when he was 6. It was about $100 at that time., it's 10mp and 3 or 4X zoom. The iPhone 5 is 8mp, and has no optical zoom. (obviously, if optical zoom is a big priority, its a reason to get even a cheap P&S). I did absolutely no post-processing or editing. Everything is straight out of the camera. For the iphone though, I did try out some of the picture-taking apps -- not editing apps. Just camera apps. But no further editing after taking the pictures.

I'll leave this comparison "blind" for a few days, and then I'll un-block the exif data.

First, an oil painting of a tulip, without flash. Camera 1 and camera 2:

[​IMG]
    flower1 no flash by Havoc315, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Flower2 without flash by Havoc315, on Flickr

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

4. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

5. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

Just a wooded area on a cloudy day.... Sharpness of the tree? Dynamic range?

[​IMG]
    woods1 by Havoc315, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    woods2 by Havoc315, on Flickr

6. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

7. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

8. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

An outdoor water scene, some grass. Which camera better captures the lighting and the colors of the grass?

[​IMG]
    water1 by Havoc315, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    water2 by Havoc315, on Flickr

9. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

10. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

Now the bottle of wine with flash. Probably best to judge all 4 of the pictures (without and with flash together). With flash, 1 camera lost the shadows and the other camera lost the highlights.

[​IMG]
    bottle1 with flash by Havoc315, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bottle2 with flash by Havoc315, on Flickr

11. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

12. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

13. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

I should have created a poll but oh well...
    So comments on camera1 versus camera2?
    Overall, which camera is the better performer? Or about the same?

14. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

My guess would be that camera 2 is the iPhone.

Based on these, I think camera 2 did better overall.

15. rossb

rossb Mouseketeer

I just came from a family party. Two of these pics were taken with an iPhone 4s (not mine). The other was taken with a $185 Canon SX260 pocket Megazoom. Both images are sized down, the iPhone pics were downloaded from a post to Facebook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Gianna'sPapa

Gianna'sPapa DIS Veteran

Call me picky, but I do like to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. You're using the latest cell phone technology to technology that is 2-3 years old. I don't know which one is which, but #2 seems to perform consistently better. I just question your methodology. Some of the photos appear to be at different focal lengths which can also affect the image. You would have been better served to use a stabilizing platform to better replicate the images. I think you need to improve your testing methodology.

17. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

I tried to use the same focal length. The iPhone is 33mm, I believe. The compact had to be zoomed in slightly for this focal length. Did my best to get them close.

Yes, the compact is old. I wasn't going to buy a new compact just to run this test. But I still think its a fair test for the question presented. As people with smartphones do tend to upgrade every 2 years or so. While most people keep their cameras around longer.
    And I certainly believe a new, mid level compact will match or exceed the iPhone. But the question is really, how does it compare to a "cheap" camera.

18. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

Once again, ignoring my under $150 challenge ;)

But Ross, of the 10+ images I posted, which camera did better?

19. MolonLabe

MolonLabe DTOM

Am I the only one who finds it ironic someone is willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a phone but not on a camera?

Personally I'd say they both are sub par and you should get a Samsung S3 which is going to be superior to the Iphone 4 or 5.

As to the question of which *one* is best, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Which camera *consistently* takes better pictures is something I'd be much more interested in.

20. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

That's why I posted 10+ samples, to judge consistency.

An iPhone 4S is $99 on contract, $50 at some retailers. And it does a lot more than take pictures.

Now, if you put a high value on your photography, then I absolutely agree -- set aside money and invest $$$ in a good camera. I certainly place such a value.

But for others who put less value on their photos... (Who already own a iPhone - galaxy siii- etc), they better off spending $100 on a cheap camera, or just sticking with the convenience and features of their phone?

My in-laws just got back from a 2 week trip to Israel. They projected their photo slideshow onto our 50inch HDTV. They stuck 100% to the convenience of their iPhone 4. (Not even 4s-- really a pretty poor camera ). I offered to lend them my Sony Rx100 -- but they weren't looking to put a priority on pictures. They wanted to stick to easy, simple, a device they carry anyway, and a device where they could easily share pics without having to upload to a computer.

Anyway, the point-- even with a "bad" camera phone, many of the pictures were interesting, sharp, and a pleasure to view. And they satisfied my in-laws quest for convenience.
    As a photo snob myself, I would have wanted better pictures.
    But for my Inlaws, and millions of people like them, there was simply no reason to use anything other than a smartphone.

21. PrincessInOz

PrincessInOz Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!

I'll play.

I liked some of the images from Camera 1 better in some of the situations and the images from Camera 2 better in others.

Despite the questionable testing methodology, both cameras probably served the purpose of capturing a snapshot in the situations that you presented. And snapshots will probably suit a number of people in terms of what they wish the snapshot to represent when they come back to look at the picture in the future.

I haven't seen the other thread or discussion that kicked off this one, Havoc.
    But you asked if we would spend extra money on a separate compact if I had an iPhone 5 or budget compact?
    My answer is yes - providing I had a specific need or use for the separate compact. And the answer is yes irrespective of what dSLR and lenses I currently have in my bag. The snapshots for the budget compact and the iPhone 5 you've shown will not suit my photography needs in every situation. And the photographs I get out of my dSLR is great; but there will be times when I will need a separate high-end compact for specific situations.

But that's me.

Nice thread, though.

princess::upsidedow