iPad 2 vs iPad 3

I personally would go with the Otter Box case, I got one for my daughter's iPad!! And it definitely holds up to its purpose!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I purchased the iPad 2 back when the iPad 3 was being announced in early 2012. I was waiting to see what the iPad 3 would bring due to the cost. I went to Amazon and checked what they had there and purchased a 64Gb Wifi/3G for AT&T. I trusted that they would be from one owner who was selling theirs in order to upgrade. I had good luck with that. Haven't had any issues. My wife and I pretty much shared it. After about a month I had enough money to buy a second, identical one for my wife.

Even though they do have the capability to use 3G with AT&T, we never signed up for a contract. Typically wifi has been available. A good alternative if you're traveling would be to get a MiFi unit from your cell provider. You can use your wifi over 3G/4G and up to 5 connections can be shared.

I would not say its an alternative for a laptop/pc especially for a student. It is, however, a very useful tool for quick access to documents, email, web. If you're working on a major project and doing a lot of typing I would go with a laptop. That being said, I know a lot of schools use Macs in general but Windows based PCs are used as well. When choosing between the two its all based on preference what programs you plan to use.

question for ipad users:

my mom is going blind (her optic nerves are dying - nothing can be done).

anyway, she is still able to read very slowly on her big desk top computer by blowing everything up into huge bold fonts and then she reads it word by word.

however, she's not able to read books anymore which really depresses her.

my sister bought her a kindle, but she can't see it - i guess the background isn't the right contrast or something.

So i was wondering if maybe i should buy her an Ipad - perhaps she'd be able to see on that a bit better.

does anyone use their ipad as an e-reader?
if so, how is it as an e-reader?

I use an ottorbox case, it's like it's indestructible (I use my ipad as a reward with my 2yr old clients) and I love that there is a built in stand to hold the ipad up on an angle at two different levels. I would also recommend getting the bigger size because you can't add space later and movies can take up a decent amount of memory

question for ipad users:

my mom is going blind (her optic nerves are dying - nothing can be done).

anyway, she is still able to read very slowly on her big desk top computer by blowing everything up into huge bold fonts and then she reads it word by word.

however, she's not able to read books anymore which really depresses her.

my sister bought her a kindle, but she can't see it - i guess the background isn't the right contrast or something.

So i was wondering if maybe i should buy her an Ipad - perhaps she'd be able to see on that a bit better.

does anyone use their ipad as an e-reader?
if so, how is it as an e-reader?

You can download both kindle and nook apps to the ipad but what I would do is take her to an apple store or best buy where she can test them out to see if she could read with it.

good idea!
While you are at the store, also have her check out the built in iBook app. I know with iBook, you can change the font size just by stretching it with 2 fingers or with a control panel.

With all the book reading apps, have her check out the ability to change things like the contrast, brightness, font size and font type.
Those might make a difference in her ability to use the iPad for reading.

Another thing to check out is magnifying apps - there are quite a few in the apps store that use the camera on the iPad to magnify things. You can use them to magnify the size of text in magazines, actual books, pictures, etc.
some are free and some have a cost. Some have features like high contrast settings that might be useful to her.

You might also consider audiobooks. I myself don't use them (too busy listening to podcasts, DIS and others), but I have heard alot of people really enjoy and even prefer them.

You might also consider audiobooks. I myself don't use them (too busy listening to podcasts, DIS and others), but I have heard alot of people really enjoy and even prefer them.

Some library's use the overdrive system that has tons of free audiobooks to listen to. I love it for when I'm cleaning the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter